free hit
counters
S1 NA geometry and roads with cambers - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
electro_boy

S1 NA geometry and roads with cambers

Howdy All,

I recently got a 4 wheel alignment done on my S1 NA Evora.  Upon collecting the car I felt the car was following the camber of the road much more than before and I have to use more force on the steering wheel to keep it straight and resist the direction of the camber.

I took it back to the garage asking them to check the alignment as to me it doesn't feel right.  They took it for a test drive this morning and called me to say everything is fine.  Car is tracking straight on the flat and yep on cambered roads it follows the camber and thats whats supposed to happen.

They say I've out I've got used to driving a skew car hence it felt balanced even on cambered roads and the so now the straight car fells wired to me.  So just looking for some other opinions, does your Evora follow the road camber and do you need apply a bit of weight on the righthand to keep it straight? This is my first high performance car so I don't know if thats normal or not but on other normal slow cars (Seat Ibiza, VW Polo, BMW 118) I've driven I never actively felt the car following the camber.

May thanks, Jai

Edited by electro_boy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you got their printout and compared it to the factory spec? Did they use a Hunter machine to perform the alignment?

Nope I don't have the print out, not sure on what machine they used.  Car garage is a reputable Lotus garage and so far I've been very happy with their service.  I will ask for the printout the when I go to collect my car again.

Their website says they have a Beissbarth alignment machine.

It sounds completely wrong. S1 s/c here but I've had 2, and played with various geo settings from factory to track settings and neve had to hold the steering wheel with any feeling of force to keep the car on the road while going straight on. something ain't right and I would suspect the rear rather than the front, but could be either.

So when out driving on a B road, with a bit of camber to the left as our roads in the UK normal have (I guess opposite for Europe), does your car track straight if you take your hands off the wheel or only gently hold the wheel? Or do you actively need to steer and add weight to the right to keep it straight?

I need to double check with my car as I only drove it a little bit before taking it back but it felt as if the wheel wanted to stray to the left if I took my hands of it.

I'm not really sure where to go from here?  Garage have taken car for a test drive and said its fine.  Maybe I need to take the technician for a test drive tomorrow when I go to collect the car?

Gentle hold only. Never a feeling of force. It's a one finger gentle rest sort of pressure if any.

Thank you for the feedback appreciated it.  I will go back and have a test drive of the car again when I go to collect.   If I'm still not happy I'll head straight back and take someone from the garage back out with me to explain what I'm not happy about.

Only time I feel the steering drag a little is on the UK roads where grooves have developed due to constant use by HGVs.

It is particularly evident when changing lanes but never to the point that I feel that there’s anything wrong with the car.

Are the front tyres worn / old? I have had some tram lining on my S1 in the past which was completely removed when I replaced the old  OEM tyres with new OEM ones.

How much tread is left of them? It's not uncommon to get through a set of rears in 6k on an S1 Evora.

54 minutes ago, Whitey said:

Are the front tyres worn / old? I have had some tram lining on my S1 in the past which was completely removed when I replaced the old  OEM tyres with new OEM ones.

Ah, that's a good pint. IF you have been running with a geo out of true to any great extent the tyres will be worn to that 'odd' shape. The new geo could then be correct and the tyres are trying to go off in their 'old' direction. It may get better as the tyres wear to the 'correct' profile.

There's a small section of road I drive on daily that has the car pulling this way and that. Both hands on the wheel needed! Apart from that, a light hold on the wheel is fine most of the time.

Does your steering have an initial softness when applying lock? I find making corrections a little more difficult than in previous cars. 

My S1 has 29k miles and is super direct with zero play in the steering. I haven’t noticed any softness and tramlining doesn’t seem to be a particular issue either. Tyres are pretty new though. On that issue, there’s a bargain in the “for sale” section at the moment on NOS if you’re running on 18” and 19” rims.

Thank you all for your comments.  My commute to work (most of my driving since the wheel alignment) is on roads which have sagged due to heavy load and have two HGV tyre width grooves in them, that combined with uneven wear from the previous incorrect geometry maybe leading to unbalanced feel of the car?  So maybe I just need to let the tyres bed in? Maybe I'm just being over sensitive? Maybe I'm wonky not the car?   

I've checked the paperwork I got when I last had the car with them.  There is no wheel alignment measurement numbers.  But there is tyre tread depth values.  Both fronts are even with 6,6,6 . Rear right are 5,4,5 and rear left are 5,5,5.  Anyone know what Michelin PS4S start off at?

I'm no expert but would that be enough to tell the front was aligned correctly as there is even wear across the fronts?

Edited by electro_boy

8mm, normally. Track tyres often start at 6mm. 

Elise's handle like the way you describe, darting left and right with camber.

I liked that, the steering felt very light and alive... but it's totally non assisted of course! My Evora S1 however tracks straight as a die.

1 hour ago, electro_boy said:

maybe I just need to let the tyres bed in? Maybe I'm just being over sensitive?   

Yes, mine felt better after a few hundred miles.

Me too; I probably just need to adjust to the steering as I did when I got an Elise.

I have only had my Evora 6 months and one of the delights has always been the steering, which felt lovely and full of feel. However, I recently discovered (car felt a little odd in high-speed turns) that the alignment was really quite bad almost everywhere.

Local garage had a Hunter and had to spend a few hours un-seizing all the adjusters, before they got the alignment absolutely perfect. Strangely, the steering is now sort of "worse" in my opinion, because so little pressure is needed on the wheel, now 🙂. Tram-lining, etc. is completely non-existent.

So I guess my points are:

1. You get used to (and can like) the feel of a mis-aligned car,
  2. A well set-up car needs very little steering effort; it tracks straight and true.
  3. Your tyres will have bedded in to the bad set up/been worn out, so that could still have an effect.

I have also just bought the rears in that bargain section of Lotusforsale 🙂

I had my GTE geometry re-set by a motorsport outfit using the factory settings as a guide. However, it seemed to be all belt-and-braces and finger-in-the-air adjustments, followed by a number of test drives, rather than using any modern technology. I noticed no improvement whatsoever. Frankly I wish I hadn't bothered. If I ever feel it's necessary, next time I'll go somewhere else.

They're set at the factory using Hunter machines, so it's best to use an outfit which has one and that it's been recently calibrated. The machine should be pre-programmed with the required settings, or if not I'm sure they've been posted on here several times. 

Maybe they dialled in a bit more camber than usual, being a motorsport outfit? That will result in a lot more tram-lining. 

Mine got a bit tram liney, had a cursory check of the geo while being serviced but new tyres sorted it.

Gav

As above - check front camber settings as the characteristics are consistent with adding negative camber.

Edited by plenty