free hit
counters
S3 V6 Headlight Adjustment - Instructions/Tutorial ? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
AndyHamp

S3 V6 Headlight Adjustment - Instructions/Tutorial ?

I need to adjust my headlights a bit ... is there any instructions around on how best to get at the adjusters and make the needed tweaks ? Google hasn't been my friend on this one 😞 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The procedure is outlined in the 'Lotus Service Notes'.

You can download a copy here: http://vsic.lotuscars.com (or, from other less scrupulous corners of t'interweb).

2 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Turn wheel, remove small cover in wheel well, adjust light. 

I can see the cover but that only corresponds with the main beam... can it do both hight and direction of the beam ?  .. what about the dipped ones ?   Looks to me like the whole panel has to be removed ... 

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

The procedure is outlined in the 'Lotus Service Notes'.

You can download a copy here: http://vsic.lotuscars.com (or, from other less scrupulous corners of t'interweb).

Ouch ... not cheap .... i'll have to find somewhere much less scrupulous ! 

18 minutes ago, AndyHamp said:

I can see the cover but that only corresponds with the main beam... can it do both hight and direction of the beam ?  .. what about the dipped ones ?   Looks to me like the whole panel has to be removed ... 

You do not need to remove the whole wheelarch liner (but you can if you want to, only takes 2 minutes)

from the manual:

The headlamp assemblies incorporate halogen main and dip beam lamps with replaceable bulbs, LED amber string direction indicators and an LED white string of DRLs (Daytime Running Lamps)/side lamps (which can only be renewed as part of the complete headlamp assembly). The lamp components are enclosed in a polypropylene housing and protected by a polycarbonate clear lens cover.  
When the engine is started, the front sidelamps will automatically be activated as daytime running lamps, with the front sidelamps operating with an increased intensity. When the ignition is turned off, the DRLs will switch off automatically unless manually selected.
If the sidelamp switch is activated whilst the engine is running the front DRLs will revert to their sidelamp functionality and operate with a reduced intensity.
Alignment: The alignment relationship between high and low beam lamps is fixed, but two adjusters are provided on the back of the headlamp housing by which the whole lamp unit may be adjusted.
Adjustment: If adjustment to headlamp alignment is required, remove the access cover in the wheelarch liner, see Service Notes section BT.5 for further information. 
To adjust the beam laterally, turn the outboard hexagonal adjuster screw. Optimum setting is 0%. To adjust the beam vertically, turn the inboard adjuster screw. Optimum setting is -1.2%.
Bulb replacement: Preparation: Remove the access cover in the wheelarch liner, see Service Notes section BT.5 for further information. 
Dip beam bulb: Remove the protective boot from the back of the inboard lamp, twist the bulb holder counterclockwise, and withdraw from the lamp.  Prise open the retaining barbs to allow the harness plug to be disconnected.  Replace the 12V 60W type HB3A bulb, and reassemble in reverse order to disassembly.
Main beam bulb: Remove the protective boot from the back of the outboard lamp, withdrawing the bulb is similar to the above except that the harness connection uses separate spade terminals (may be connected either way round).  The main beam bulb is 12V 65W type H9B.

Edited by Kristof Thys
added some info

1 hour ago, AndyHamp said:

Ouch ... not cheap .... i'll have to find somewhere much less scrupulous ! 

A 1 hour subscription is £13. You can easily download all of the manuals for your car in that time. 

So, compared to the price that you paid for your car, how cheap are ya, eh? ;)

(But, yes, they are easy enough to download from elsewhere). 

Super cheap 🤣

1 hour ago, Kristof Thys said:

You do not need to remove the whole wheelarch liner (but you can if you want to, only takes 2 minutes)

from the manual:

The headlamp assemblies incorporate halogen main and dip beam lamps with replaceable bulbs, LED amber string direction indicators and an LED white string of DRLs (Daytime Running Lamps)/side lamps (which can only be renewed as part of the complete headlamp assembly). The lamp components are enclosed in a polypropylene housing and protected by a polycarbonate clear lens cover.  
When the engine is started, the front sidelamps will automatically be activated as daytime running lamps, with the front sidelamps operating with an increased intensity. When the ignition is turned off, the DRLs will switch off automatically unless manually selected.
If the sidelamp switch is activated whilst the engine is running the front DRLs will revert to their sidelamp functionality and operate with a reduced intensity.
Alignment: The alignment relationship between high and low beam lamps is fixed, but two adjusters are provided on the back of the headlamp housing by which the whole lamp unit may be adjusted.
Adjustment: If adjustment to headlamp alignment is required, remove the access cover in the wheelarch liner, see Service Notes section BT.5 for further information. 
To adjust the beam laterally, turn the outboard hexagonal adjuster screw. Optimum setting is 0%. To adjust the beam vertically, turn the inboard adjuster screw. Optimum setting is -1.2%.
Bulb replacement: Preparation: Remove the access cover in the wheelarch liner, see Service Notes section BT.5 for further information. 
Dip beam bulb: Remove the protective boot from the back of the inboard lamp, twist the bulb holder counterclockwise, and withdraw from the lamp.  Prise open the retaining barbs to allow the harness plug to be disconnected.  Replace the 12V 60W type HB3A bulb, and reassemble in reverse order to disassembly.
Main beam bulb: Remove the protective boot from the back of the outboard lamp, withdrawing the bulb is similar to the above except that the harness connection uses separate spade terminals (may be connected either way round).  The main beam bulb is 12V 65W type H9B.

Perfect ... I should be able to do that 😉

On 09/10/2018 at 14:53, Bravo73 said:

A 1 hour subscription is £13. You can easily download all of the manuals for your car in that time. 

So, compared to the price that you paid for your car, how cheap are ya, eh? ;)

(But, yes, they are easy enough to download from elsewhere). 

Yep I paid the small amount of £'s and downloaded all the Exige manuals plus those for my daughters Elise too, great value  👍

I’ve found you can adjust the alignment without even taking off the access panel, though it is a bit like keyhole surgery!

Turn the wheel then pop out the rubber grommets in the access panel (top one for height adjustment) and use a 10mm socket on a 6” extension bar (1/4” drive) to adjust.

Helps if you’ve had the access panel off previously so you know what you’re feeling for!

• Like 1