free hit
counters
Want to buy an Evora, Looking for some opinions please - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Want to buy an Evora, Looking for some opinions please

Bob Booker

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 31/10/2018 at 13:59, mik said:

Took 5 months for me to get the spec I wanted in one of my two colour choices.

What did you do? Did you just keep looking regularly online or did you register your interest with your nearest dealers?

Thanks

I just kept a daily eye on pistonheads and autotrader.

I know the awesome Mr Craig Moncrieff can offer a finding service - often aware of cars coming up for sale before they actually go on sale : good way to arrange low-risk private sales. 

I waited 3 months, gave up and relaxed my requirements a bit. I'm too impatient, which nearly resulted in me buying an F-Type before I realised I'm too far off retirement age.

What was your other colour choice mik?

"8 Evora S Sport Racer models in Carbon Grey were made."  (letter from the Lotus Archivist).    Well 7 then, apart from mine, #4.

As said above, it's not realistic to be too particular about the spec.

Bob, given your previous BM, I would have thought you would want an S, but of course trying both S and NA is the only way. Rather depends how many rpm you expect to use as "routine", rather than just having a blast,

On 31/10/2018 at 20:26, Pedal_Loud said:

I also came from the V8 M3 before getting an Evora S albeit mine was an E93 (convertible). Agree with everything you say about the DCT and it's interesting to hear your comments on the IPS as I've not driven one. I always suspected it would be disappointing compared to the DCT in the M3. I really do miss those throttle blips on downshift though especially as mine had the 2.5 pipe exhaust mod! 

What I was really after was a white Evora S with red leather... I know I know.. (I loved the novilo fox red leather in my M3) my plan was to wrap the various bits to make it look like a sport race and maybe even add a red stripe. Don't judge me! 

Anyway, that didn't happen as I ended up with a laser blue S! It came up for sale at the right money and unbelievably was only within 2 miles of my house. It had also just had a new clutch, gearbox and LSD fitted. I agree with what's been said on here about finding the right car for you, it will be tricky as they are super rare. The Evora I got wasn't concours, it had been well used and arguably my M3 was in better overall condition (I'd had the M3 ceramic detailed the year before) but mechanically the Evora had been well sorted and I don't mind car with a few rough edges as it means I can use it as its meant to be used without going nuts when a new stone chip appears.

Unfortunately I sold the M3 before I had chance to do a video comparison of the two. Most things said on here about the M3 I largely agree with. My M3 had been lowered with H&R springs, M5 style wheels, it looked and sounded amazing but speed bumps were a nightmare and to the untrained eye (although not the ear!) it was still a 3 series BM.

10 months on with the Evora and if I'm being honest sometimes I do miss the M3. Its largely my own fault though as I drive too much on motorways in the Evora and should take it out more on the right roads to drive it properly. I had a serviced this week though and it came back with a clean bill of health which reassured me of more trouble free miles ahead. Plus after driving a dull courtesy car receiving a few admiring glances once I was safely back in the Evora did cheer me up. For now its a keeper, again as others have said they are sublime to drive on the right roads.

The exhaust does seem to be bit quiet though and I need to rev match more to make my own throttle blips, add in a 2bular and then I think I'll be 100% happy. The niggles are also there but then I quite like that in a car, it just gives it a bit more character and gives me an excuse to tinker on it in the garage (did an oxygen sensor recently).

Anyway, if your'e near to Surrey my Evora is a manual S and you'd be welcome to have go. Don't give up on the Evora yet though, super rare, mini-supercar looks, that feeling of being in something special, something British built (ignoring the engine!), there really is nothing  quite like it.

Thanks for the comparison. That was really interesting.

I've just been googling 2bular exhausts. Now that's more like it. 😊|
That's one of those upgrades that can be done after a year or so and it feels and sounds like a new car again, just like I did with the M3.

Thanks for the offer of the drive, that is very generous of you. I'm getting a positive feeling from this Lotus community. More than I can say for the //M community. :thumbup:

Cheers

On 01/11/2018 at 22:06, MattyB said:

I waited 3 months, gave up and relaxed my requirements a bit. I'm too impatient, which nearly resulted in me buying an F-Type before I realised I'm too far off retirement age.

Funny enough, the F-type was my other choice. I've still not got around to going for a test drive. I think that's because since thinking about them, I keep seeing so many on the road, much more than my own car.

F Type roadster lasted 3 weeks in my ownership.  Nice car but not a patch on a Lotus for driving fun and feedback 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 10/10/2018 at 12:31, Registered said:

Evora S will feel slow in a straight line compared to the M3.

However it is a superior car in every other way from a driving perspective.

Buy an S at £30k to £35k and it will be worth the same after 8 yrs.

The engine is reliable.  Its just the other bits that are not as reliable.  Air bag cover (£600-900), peeling headlights (£400), door locks (£400 each), boot lock, window regulator (£500), air con (£1-2k), clutch (£2-3k), gearbox (many £ks) and to a lesser extent the supercharger could go wrong over 8 yrs.  Every minor repair seems to cost £400/500 in my experience, never £50.

Door locks for my 2010 car were £250 each.  Peeling headlights about £110 per side.

5 hours ago, blueg33 said:

Door locks for my 2010 car were £250 each.  Peeling headlights about £110 per side.

Yes, I remember you quoting such prices elsewhere which was why I was shocked at prices been quoted to me. 

No minor fix costs less than £400 nowadays.

It took about 4 months of waiting for a single 12MY manual to come on to the market when I was looking earlier this year. I bought it over the phone! I wanted a blue car or one with red leather but I might have had to wait 4 years for one of those...

It was totally worth the wait. It's a decent cruiser while also obviously amazing when you're 'on it'. Manual gearbox takes a bit of getting used to (i.e. accepting that you have to be slow and deliberate and even then it might baulk), radio is utter cack, but these things are more than compensated for by those mid-engined looks, magical damping,  great steering and handling, the noise it makes in a tunnel... ultimately, you're going to have to be patient, or you'll just have to settle for an inferior car. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

Well according to his little emblem by his posts it said he got a 400. Hope @Bob Booker you are still enjoying it :)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

lol - just saw this thread as it had popped up as recent content and having read all the way to the last few posts (and not noticing the date of the thread) , was about to suggest Bob sees if he can stretch his budget to a 400...

Congratulations! Pics please :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, Bob Booker said:

Ended up buying a 400 from Lotus Silverstone and I am still really enjoying it.

I had no intention of spending that sort of money but when one came up that I really liked the look of with the right spec, I somehow managed to convince the mrs (still not sure how I managed it) 🤔

The car is completely different to the M3. I thought that the steering of the M3 couldn't be improved upon but I soon realised how wrong I was 🙂

Woo hoo Bobby B. Nice well, done. Welcome to the flock of the converted!  Love to see some pictures mate.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!