free hit
counters
Number plate on your Lotus - standard, related to car, or to your own name? - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
RichardC

Number plate on your Lotus - standard, related to car, or to your own name?

Number plate on your Lotus - standard, related to car, or to your own name?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Same with my Excel. Ex factory car.

y4mX1cpNK_HAxDwApx3WGv6fKgX8yGZXx-XTfCu4

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lots of spacing issues with a lot of these pics. In reality, how fussy are Mr plod when it comes to fines for incorrect spacing. Anyone actually been pulled/fined? - Does the old” they are just show plates and I forgot to change them” excuse cut any ice any more?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Here in South Dakota USA we can have a plate that reads anything we like. As long as it has a maximum of seven letters or numbers and no one else is using it. I used to have ‘ESPRIT’ on 165H, but when I reaquired the car last August I opted for an ‘ Historical Plate’. The Historical plate means you pay no yearly registration/road tax. My 88 has a standard South Dakota plate on it. 

• Like 1

Cheers, Gavin

1 hour ago, mayevora said:

Anyone actually been pulled/fined? 

Not been bothered by the police at all, but I have had to retain a proper plate to put on the bike for its annual MOT test which I then swap back to the smaller one afterwards.  Obviously depends who you get - anyone in that kind of position can be jobsworth one moment and have better things to do the next.  None of my plates are even vaguely illegible or have distorted letters or strategically placed coloured screws but they're not all entirely dimensionally correct or with the official font.   Was stopped by a bike cop once when I forgot to change the plate on the trailer I was towing to the right car.  I actually had the correct plate on the trailer but with another velcro'd on top.  As soon as I peeled off the wrong one the chap was happy....but in fact neither plate was regulation perfect if he'd wanted to make a fuss....

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Mines initial, year of birth and car related. Wife bought it as a wedding gift as I had my new Exige on order at the time. It’s followed me through each Exige I’ve had and sat on retention when working in the US, now back on an Exige as I got another earlier in the year

12 hours ago, mayevora said:

Lots of spacing issues with a lot of these pics. In reality, how fussy are Mr plod when it comes to fines for incorrect spacing. Anyone actually been pulled/fined? - Does the old” they are just show plates and I forgot to change them” excuse cut any ice any more?

My Wife was stopped and had to pay an on the spot fine (£60) for misrepresentation of number plate. M100 XER it's now on her Elan 

949724711_P1020006-Copy-Copy.thumb.JPG.7a261990253845fccb468673f1d3f0bd.JPG 

In Scotland - plod seem to be a bit Nazi about it.

I got pulled over on boxing day last year (they even turned their patrol car around as they were going the other way) to issue me with a fine for spacing on a plate that nobody in England had batted an eye over during the previous 9 years.... To rub salt into the wound - it wasnt even my car - (belonged to my wife). I was just driving along at 30mph in a 30 zone in a non-descript car.

Merry Xmas to you to Cuntstubble.... Mind how you go Orificer.

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:00, mayevora said:

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:54, Dunc said:

In Scotland - plod seem to be a bit Nazi about it.

I got 'pulled' a while back, by a pair of Police Scotland's finest - they stopped the traffic in both directions on a busy A road while they conducted a 3-point turn in their Beemer then came after me on 'blues and twos'.

While the just-out-of-kindergarten blonde stood with a grin on her face and a notebook open in her hand, her much older male opened with "Much as I like it, you can't have that", pointing at my plate.

I tried the "I was at a car show yesterday and forgot to remove them" reply (the first bit was true, but the plates had been on the car for months, :whistle:) , ripped them from their Velcro mounts, and got away with it even although I'm sure they must have seen the layer of road grime that had accumulated between the plates as I was sent on my way with only a warning to be more careful next time, :thumbsup: .

I haven't risked them on the car in the UK since (the above incident was fairly local to me and with my luck it would be the same pair if there was a next time) although they were on for the whole of my recent European road trip with no issues despite being followed by les rozzers on several occasions in different countries.

Wendy and I both got pulled, she in her old M100 and me in the Yellow S3. Pair of plunkers wanted everything from when we last changed our socks, to how long the plate had been in it's stained condition on the Esprit. I showed him the still wet ink on the MOT cert and explained the car had just been 10 mins on the road for the first time in 8 years. My tough luck. FIxed penalty and a 14 day notice to get the plates changed. He let Wendy off, although you couldnt see her rear plate for condensation under the perspex cover.

On 19/01/2019 at 21:45, johnpwalsh said:

Wendy and I both got pulled, she in her old M100 and me in the Yellow S3. Pair of plunkers wanted everything from when we last changed our socks, to how long the plate had been in it's stained condition on the Esprit. I showed him the still wet ink on the MOT cert and explained the car had just been 10 mins on the road for the first time in 8 years. My tough luck. FIxed penalty and a 14 day notice to get the plates changed. He let Wendy off, although you couldn't see her rear plate for condensation under the perspex cover.

It's after something like this that I have, on two or three occasions, looked at the Policeperson concerned and just sighed and said something along the lines of "and you wonder why nobody loves you and don't bother appealing to my better my side if you need any help in the future".  There's not a lot they can do about it, it's not disrespectful or shouty or abusive, but it does leave me with a tad sense of gratification that made paying the fine that bit more pleasurable. Last time I did this was a about 6 years ago when i got pulled over for doing 33mph on an urban dual carriageway just after the speed limit had changed from 40mph to 30mph and i was just decelerating.

I have a lot of respect for the Police, but there are times when you just think they must be the thickest people on the planet when it comes to how to win friends and influence people. In your case and mine John, a stiff talking to, to point out the error of our ways and a sending off with "I'll be watching you" would have done the trick. But then, maybe I'm the thick one.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I have a lot of respect for the Police, but there are times when you just think they must be the thickest people on the planet when it comes to how to win friends and influence people. In your case and mine John, a stiff talking to, to point out the error of our ways and a sending off with "I'll be watching you" would have done the trick. But then, maybe I'm the thick one.

I also have a lot of respect for the police, in fact all the emergency services when it comes to that. We did on that occasion have a bit of Karma though. Two days later the bad man of the trio was stuck at the side of the road not far from us with what looked like an overheated brake, loads of smoke, and he was hitting it with a dry powder extinguisher, doh. Gave him a toot as we went passed and a wave though. :)

On 11/10/2018 at 11:57, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Very floppy Gav!

Here's mine. It's GTE #4.

GBuIudv.jpg

The reg cost me about 500 quid or so from the DVLA. In fact it's the only GTE reference on the car. I never attached the supplied GTE decals which the other owners have put on their cars (Lotus didn't want them affixing until the car had left their premises!). They're still in their envelope.

They were also the wrong size, the Lotus supplied ones are bigger than what we're originally on the side of the car.

I had a load made up in carbon effect vinyl to the right size if anyone needs some.

• Like 1