free hit
counters
thermostat failed? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RS blu

thermostat failed?

as some of you know, I have some problems with the radiator fans in my 1991 SE. Sometimes they turn on and do not go off. I bought an aldl usb cable and I used freescan.

I have put a new TCS and everything seems to work fine, the temperature of the TCS is the same to the instrument in the dashboard. The fans turn on at 92 degrees and go out about 80. (the TCS and the instrument of the dashboard have the same temperature)Sometimes, however, the temperature of the TCS continues to rise, the fans are switched on, the temperature of the instrument in the dashboard goes down. It often happens even when the engine has been on for a short time.

It seems that the coolant does not flow well where  the TCS is but instead it is colder where  the sensor of the instrument dashboard is.

Do you believe it is possible that the thermostat sometimes does not work well?

Edited by RS blu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the thermostat remains closed or doesn't open far enough, that would be very obvious on the dashboard temperature gauge. In my SE, I can actually see when the thermostat opens by a slight drop in temperature at the end of warming up, after which it rises again and stabilizes. This is because of the volume of cold water from the radiator and pipes that is added to the flow around the engine.

It's good you got readings from the ECM. And by replacing the engine coolant sensor you should be able to rule that out. Which leaves either the wiring or the ECM itself. The sensor is NTC, low resistance meaning high temperature. So it wont be a bad connection, rather a short to ground somewhere.

Filip

hello Filip, I do not know what to do. The values measured with freescan are perfect, if I remove the wires from the TCS the temperature is -40, it is correct. Sometimes, however, the two temperatures between TCS and dash instrument do not match It could be the thermostat partially open, so the radiator cooling liquid cools the sensor in the thermostat casing but is not enough cold to cool the TCS in the engine?I do not think it's an electrical problem and I think the instrument of the dashboard is perfect, I still think it could be the ECM that sometimes goes crazy.