free hit
counters
Oil Filter Change - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robington

Oil Filter Change

I am changing my oil filter.

The new filter I got included the small o ring and the plastic thingy in the picture. When I took the old filter out, those items were not present. Is that correct? If not, can you point me to something that describes how that is assembled. I've had a look around here but could not find anything.

Large o ring is no problem I could see where that went.

image.jpeg.40fdf8ffbafd1169ca368fe4ac30dd93.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ok, I have found the answer.

So the plastic thingy is to assist draining the oil out of the filter housing and the small o ring is to replace the old one.

Posted here in case somebody else was wondering 😊

Untitled.png

When I did mine, I didn’t bother with the plastic tool to drain down the filter but it’s much cleaner if you do. Also, the low cost filter removal tool I had broke when I used it and I had to buy a decent quality one. I wish I’d had that one to start with. Apart from that, it was low drama....

Sorry a late reply, of the oil filter housing removal tools which is the best design? The factory spec tool or has anyone found a better one?

Edited by au-yt

17 hours ago, au-yt said:

Sorry a late reply, of the oil filter housing removal tools which is the best design? The factory spec tool or has anyone found a better one?

you should be able to pick up the Toyota part AST TOY 640 on line for a decent price.

The first one I bought “removed” the filter using only the multi-faceted part - and broke. The second tool additionally had 2 vertical parts that located on fins higher up the housing. Make sure whatever you buy is like the latter. Mine was  made by Unipart, I think.

Great insight guys thank you, so one like this one from Hethel Sport

oil-filter-wrench-09-2_med.jpeg

Edited by au-yt
grama