free hit
counters
How did you do it? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stewie177

How did you do it?

I posted some months ago that I am parting ways with my M4 for a new automotive adventure. 

Having received some valuable advice on here, as well as elsewhere, I have settled on two; an Exige or, prepares to hide a 911. 

Having driven the 911 (a great test drive by the way, gave me the keys, said ‘we’ve loaded a route in the map, see you a couple of hours’ - a very nice techinique it must be said) I was very happy with it (GTS rearwheel drive and PDK). Very placid at slow speeds, raucous later on, but a little understeer built in, which I don’t know if it can be dialled out, but overall a good package.

However, I popped into Silverstone and went our with Aimee in the 380 and it was completely different, an event; visceral even. I would have like to have got to know it better, but even after 20 minutes or so, I was sold. Yes, it doesn’t have the toys and Satnav will be by phone (though I haven’t figured out how to mount it - all these questions to come) but who cares, it made me happy and let’s face it, they (every manufacturer) won’t be making things like the Exige for much longer.

Here’s the crux though, the other half prefers the Porsche (she came out on the test drive) (‘it’s less jiggly than you’re BMW’). I am taking her to Silverstone on Saturday, but she cannot drive a manual (hasn’t driven one in 5 years) where she will pass judgement. Even if I can convince her, how do I persuade her to let me have a bright colour without her claiming I am having a midlife crisis?

How did you manage it - I am sure I am not alone? 

• Confused 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
41 minutes ago, Stewie177 said:

However, I popped into Silverstone and went our with Aimee in the 380...........

........I was sold....

.........but who cares, it made me happy and let’s face it, they (every manufacturer) won’t be making things like the Exige for much longer.

At risk of sounding extremely naive (or maybe I'm just monumentally lucky in the partner stakes).....this sounds like a done deal to me, do you really have to go through a tedious round of persuading if it's your car you're buying?

• Like 2

Agree with Arun, I made the decision on the exige even though I knew the Evora was the “safe” choice. My wife hates the exige, but the plus side of that is two fold:

1) it means she never drives it :)

2) it allowed me to easily negotiate the purchase of more cars :)

for me that’s a win win.

Have you got access to another car @Stewie177..or work car, her car.....any car really?🤞

If so it should be pretty easy to convince your fine lady. I took mine along to show the Exige Sport 380 - the colour was grey so not the most impressive! But we couldn’t start it as the ECU has been sent back to Lotus - we instead let her hear an Evora 400.

She loved the sound but preferred the sportier look of the Exige - job done she was sold. Once she eventually heard an Exige 380she probably wanted it as much as I did. Made no odds as I was always buying😄 but nice to get a bit of buy in. My other half understands all the drama and theatre you get in the Exige and also likes the fact it gets so much more attention compared to the plentiful options like Porsche and BMW.

If it’s to be your main car for both of you to drive......enjoy the Porsche😬

Here’s a photo to prove it is possible though - look at that smile......no not mine!😄

54A7779C-B90D-4B50-97C8-1E725840F222.jpeg

• Like 1

Why don't you borrow Stephen's wife!!

• Haha 2

The phrase "It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission", springs to mind.

• Like 1

My wife proved a little easier to pacify.

With 50 looming she knew I was heading for a mid-life !!, so was quite happy I bought an Elise after years of M3’s , but I wanted something quicker after a couple of years .

Got a V6s but had it in exactly the same colour. Fooled her for long enough though .

• Like 1

Your allowed a mid life crisis at 50 as well??

get in 👍

• Love 1

In 23 years of being with my missus I have never told her about any car until it was on the drive, still here, still married. Hopefully another “surprise”will be coming soon 😂

Oh but must add she absolutely hated the E63 and I mean hated it. So it only lasted 6months which was a relief as I couldnt afford the petrol anyway 

• Like 2

Your missus can’t heel and toe?! 😲

not in brand new shoes!

• Haha 2

Buy want you want. If it throws you in debt, then she might have a right to worry about keeping the house, otherwise it’s your money do as you want.

I bought the current Exige after going to buy a paintbrush or some other rubbish a few days before Christmas, and being in a bad mood, so I pulled into Oakmere instead of B&Q as I said I wanted a look. After browsing for a bit of browsing we left with her asking “which colour are you going for”. I held off to my year end and went back after Christmas to order one.

Since then she’s been laughing at me as I throw carbon and various other mods at it. She likes driving it, but would never buy one. But it’s based on years of Lotus’s, M’s and other pointless cars and she’s never said a thing

Saying that she did come back with an M4 after her last service, so she can’t really complain.

Its your money buy what you want.

The buying experience of a Porsche is far nicer, buying a Lotus is a hassle and the after sales is mediocre at best - they are going to have to up their game as they go upmarket. 

• Like 2

WTF is a buying experience 😁 Apparently I never bought a Porsche. 

• Love 1

Quite frankly my mrs doesn't have a say in my car. But we went through the buying stages together. Went from a 350z to an upgrade - tried E92 M3 ( '13 model ) a '12 C63, a Mustang GT and a 2013 GTR. All of which were not what I wanted. The autos would bore me as I just don't get the appeal of paddles unless I'm going 10/10ths on a track - which I never will. 

E92 was good, but boring/dull

C63 was crap, gearbox was awful and interior/infotainment annoyed me on the drive already. It's 10 years out of date.

Mustang is just a crap package. Weights too much and isn't set up well, clutch is too light and long, suspension is bouncy and made the mrs sea sick, plus it's interior is horrid, and uncomfortable. Also didn't feel overly quick.

GTR was mega fast, but again, paddles. Also the running costs scared me on the out of warranty cars.

In the end I wanted the Lotus... couldn't afford it so got a 370z, but over a year later the lust was still there. We drove it together, she couldn't fault the ride. Was comfortable, rapid and stupid fun. Jamie at B&C sold her on it. Best test drive I've had. 

In the end, if she doesn't like the car, its her issue. Unless she drives it then I feel she doesn't get a say, but then I'm stubborn xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stewie177 said:

Thank you all

She has her own (our motorway munching) 430i, so this is mine; it’s the ‘how are you going to get out when your knees go’ comments that are dragging me down.

Then nothing to worry about - it's your money buy what you want. Are your knees likely to go in the next couple of years? If you keep it beyond that you'll find a way as it's become part of you, if you haven't then not a problem

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I had mine at 48 - it arrived early. My wife said that was typical of me as I'm always early. :cry:

Ah so mine at 39 must have been a mere pre mid life crisis.

i can have a real one at 49 and maybe I can sneak in a post mod life one at 59

things are looking bright

• Like 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Ah so mine at 39 must have been a mere pre mid life crisis.

i can have a real one at 49 and maybe I can sneak in a post mod life one at 59

things are looking bright

Let's just hope it doesn't come too early.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Waky said:

WTF is a buying experience 😁 Apparently I never bought a Porsche. 

Something that matters if he’s trying to convince his wife. For some reason people seem to appreciate a dealer making an effort when buying a 60 -120k car, like not being ignored, returning calls, telling you when your car will be delivered or even if it’s gone into build, registering your car in advance of delivery not a week after they let you drive home in it, stuff like that. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrP_ said:

Something that matters if he’s trying to convince his wife. For some reason people seem to appreciate a dealer making an effort when buying a 60 -120k car, like not being ignored, returning calls, telling you when your car will be delivered or even if it’s gone into build, registering your car in advance of delivery not a week after they let you drive home in it, stuff like that. 

Which is why I won’t buy another BMW