free hit
counters
Evora -> Vantage - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Del Lardo

Evora -> Vantage

Recommended Posts

I'm a week in to a loan of my friends spare Vantage (4.7 manual) as he's been kind enough to lend it to me whilst my Evora is in the garage and I must say that I am smitten.

  • The ride is worse than my Evora
  • The seats are less comfortable than my Evora
  • The Evora is a better 'sports car', better steering and begs to be driven hard
  • The Evora is more practical (kind of with the back seats though boot on Vantage is much better)

 

But.... The noise from the V8, the styling and the feeling it give you looking out over that long bonnet is 😍

I'm sorely tempted, off to collect my Evora from the garage tomorrow and will be loaning to a friend for a couple of weeks to see if it piques his interest.

 

 

Anyone else done similar?

6802655619_94bfb76881_b.jpg.c942cf72214a9c5c43e97987e6c8b6e1.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've heard the boot in the Vantage is mind bogglingly big. I've recently fallen in love with NA engines after enjoying the 400 hp V8 in my Maserati and could easily see myself switching to a Vantage next year (feels wrong to be driving something not British) - but there's something about the Evora that is so alluring, even more so when it seems to come up top trumps above. Does the NA Evora feel like a slouch compared to the 4.7 V8? Do you have to rev it out to have fun or is it just fun at any speed? I think the Vantage is a good 400 kg heavier at least so a lot of that power is "lost" on simply getting it to move... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No but I did test drive the Vantage before buying my first Evora. Seemed a bit leaden compared to the Evora but on the other hand seemed a classy beast. I'm now getting a bit bored of the Evora after 7 years of ownership and modding. Not much left I can do to it to keep my interest up. Also not much new or newish that would be better to own and drive. I'm now thinking of going backwards with an older Ferrari to use for road trips and an even older Lotus (S1 Elise) for modding for track days. 

 

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate has a v12 vantage, its a nice thing and the noise is amazing but no it doesn't ride as well, doesn't handle as well in so far as its very skittish, no where near as well planted as my GTE. On a straight he can out run me but on the twisties they are evenly matched. The vantage is harder work though. I do love them but wouldn't have one now.

 

Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Vanya said:

I've heard the boot in the Vantage is mind bogglingly big. I've recently fallen in love with NA engines after enjoying the 400 hp V8 in my Maserati and could easily see myself switching to a Vantage next year (feels wrong to be driving something not British) - but there's something about the Evora that is so alluring, even more so when it seems to come up top trumps above. Does the NA Evora feel like a slouch compared to the 4.7 V8? Do you have to rev it out to have fun or is it just fun at any speed? I think the Vantage is a good 400 kg heavier at least so a lot of that power is "lost" on simply getting it to move... 

For context I did test drive a 4.3 a month or so back and whilst on paper it is certainly quicker than an NA it didn't feel it.  4.7 is a different beast all together, pulls really well from pretty much any rpm (even 1k rpm in 6th at 30mph) and whilst the top end is certainly where the best of the fun and noise is at it doesn't feel like you need to use it all the time to get the most out of the engine.  Evora on the other hand really does benefit from being revved out which does encourage me to drive it at 8/10ths (about as high as I'm willing to go on the road) which is helped by the better steering feel and more accessible handing.

Evora is about 1350kg vs. about 1600kg so even taking into account breathing mods (hopefully) giving me around 290bhp that 218bhp/ton vs. 262bhp/ton which all seems far more accessible due to better gear ratios.

Oh and the boot is rather large, 300L if I remember correctly though the forward half is only really suitable for small/flat items. 

 

 

28 minutes ago, Bruss said:

No but I did test drive the Vantage before buying my first Evora. Seemed a bit leaden compared to the Evora but on the other hand seemed a classy beast. I'm now getting a bit bored of the Evora after 7 years of ownership and modding. Not much left I can do to it to keep my interest up. Also not much new or newish that would be better to own and drive. I'm now thinking of going backwards with an older Ferrari to use for road trips and an even older Lotus (S1 Elise) for modding for track days. 

 

 

Leaden is actually a good word but also more solid if that makes sense, the brakes for example don't seem to do a worse job is slowing the car down but there just isn't the ferocity you get when you stand on brakes in an Evora. 

 

22 minutes ago, 21gg said:

My mate has a v12 vantage, its a nice thing and the noise is amazing but no it doesn't ride as well, doesn't handle as well in so far as its very skittish, no where near as well planted as my GTE. On a straight he can out run me but on the twisties they are evenly matched. The vantage is harder work though. I do love them but wouldn't have one now.

 

Gav

I wouldn't say that the V8 feels skittish but my friend who I've borrowed the car from also now has a V12 and he has said that the V8 is better drivers car and that the power from the V12 does make it difficult to drive in anything but warm/dry conditions, probably not helped by the tyres. 

Edited by Del Lardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went the other way - V8 Vantage to Evora S. 

I don’t regret it for a second (and wouldn’t go back the other way). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can certainly understand not regretting it, why wouldn't you go back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vantage is a thirsty beast, that view out the bonnet doesn't work for me, can't see it - and the boot is not THAT big?

Lovely cars but I feel like the earlier cars were closer to a true GT car. They kept trying to turn it into a sports car which it was never going to be. The Evora rides much better, even in 400 form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before getting the exige I had the last version of the Jaguar xk.  The view out over an epicly long bonnet is nice but wears off pretty quickly.  The sound from a V8 never wears off, it's the one thing I miss.  However, although the exige doesn't sound as pleasing, it sounds violent which fits the cars nature better than a V8 would.
 

How the car drives and your connection to the road is the main experience, if you give that up for what are temporary pleasures you will probably regret it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a list of cars to choose from, the Vantage was one mainly for the looks, but having had GTs in the past, I also wanted a car that I could look after myself. I have friend who has one it’s a lovely car but I decided I wanted more of a sports car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2018 at 12:29, JayEmm said:

The Vantage is a thirsty beast, that view out the bonnet doesn't work for me, can't see it - and the boot is not THAT big?

Lovely cars but I feel like the earlier cars were closer to a true GT car. They kept trying to turn it into a sports car which it was never going to be. The Evora rides much better, even in 400 form.

Would only do 4-5k miles/year so thirst not really a problem. Boot certainly feels a lot bigger though that could be the more practical opening and doesn't take into account all that lovely space in the rear seats of the Evora.  Agree that the Evora rides much better but then nothing else on sale really rides as well as an Evora.

 

 

On 13/10/2018 at 13:22, Softlysoftlycatchymonkey said:

Before getting the exige I had the last version of the Jaguar xk.  The view out over an epicly long bonnet is nice but wears off pretty quickly.  The sound from a V8 never wears off, it's the one thing I miss.  However, although the exige doesn't sound as pleasing, it sounds violent which fits the cars nature better than a V8 would.
 

How the car drives and your connection to the road is the main experience, if you give that up for what are temporary pleasures you will probably regret it.

 

The 'problem' is that the connection to the road is something that I am rarely able to enjoy to the full potential of the car due to roads, traffic & time constraints.  I went out on Saturday to buy some dog food and the route takes me across some proper Fen roads, the kind where you can have 10 different cambers on a 100m stretch of road with 3 of them in the same spot across the width of the car, the Evora is able to flow down this road at speed, the Vantage had to be wrestled at lower speeds.  A clear + point to the Evora but then I only use these kind of roads every 2-3 weeks and half the time I'm stuck behind a queue of traffic doing 40mph unable to safely overtake.  When I am able to exploit the Evora it is utterly mesmerising, however last couple of weeks has shown the Vantage is able to put a big grin on my face with the V8 & styling on every journey.

 

On 13/10/2018 at 22:13, au-yt said:

I had a list of cars to choose from, the Vantage was one mainly for the looks, but having had GTs in the past, I also wanted a car that I could look after myself. I have friend who has one it’s a lovely car but I decided I wanted more of a sports car. 

Totally get that, I am wondering if it's just a change that I am after, lots of types of cars out there to enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Paul...

I can hear some REALLY good 'man maths' at work here mate! I am 'sold' on your 'logic'...

And, of course you can convince yourself that the Vantage will be the way to go :>)

I did this once on a smaller scale... many year ago, I went to a Jag XJ6. Loved the 'long(er) bonnet, the leather, the creamy straight 6.. and then was bored with it after 3 months! Luckily sold it at minimal loss... and bought another Lotus!

It's maybe an itch you need to scratch... so go for it :>). Worst case, you might lose a few ££, and then come back into Lotus Land... maybe with a 4xx!

Good luck with your decision :>) 

Pete 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO you buy toys with the heart not the head, so if the Vantage continues to pull at the heart strings, go for it :)

Whenever I'm in the market for a new toy I always think about the AM Vantage - probably the best looking car of the last 20 years and the Aston badge will always be special.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently I went through the same exercise. After a series of disappointments (read $$$$$). I did a weighted scoring exercise, using MS XL.

You need to decide at this point in time the things about cars that are important to you, for example;  performance, size, styling, sound fuel economy usability and rarity etc.

Create a table with each item down the side, and a list of cars accross the top.

items should have a score from say 1 to 10 for example, score each item for each car and add them at the bottom under each column. The out come car be quite interesting.

Car Ranking.xlsx

Edited by au-yt
added example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my V8 Vantage for about seven years now. Bought it at 14k miles, it's now done 51k. Not much to report on the mechanical side of things. A handful of tyres, brakes and the like and the a/c condenser corroded to the point of leaking which was a simple fix - didn't even need to lift the front of the car to replace that. An oil leak from the front cover a couple of years ago which is common on the early cars. Expensive to sort at the dealership, but it's a permanent fix. Still on its original clutch.  No silly niggles or chasing gremlins.

Very practical car for its type. Don't forget it's a hatchback and you can stuff things into the footwell from the boot opening, so no problem about impromptu curtain rail purchases. I managed to fit my daughter's wheelchair into the boot when she was still immobile and a 40" flat screen tv before that. There's a shelf behind the seats for smaller bags too. I find it so much easier for everyday use compared with an Evora. I can get in and out even when someone parks close to the door and visibility is good all round. HVAC system works well and the electric front screen is great when you abandon it the carpark of a windswept Norfolk hotel for a couple of nights. The satnav is crap but I've always preferred using my TomTom anyway. The heated and electrically movable seats are comfy.

MPG hovers around low 20s unless I'm doing battle with city traffic. No oil use between services (12 month/12k miles - approv £800pa at my local main dealer) Controls are artificially and unnecessarily heavy which gives the impression of the car being lardy. But it's not. Spend some time with it and get it into the zone and it dances, easily rotating on turn in although it does take a pad change to have a pedal feel as positive as the Evora. Primary ride is too hard on the early cars (like mine) but the spring/damper/arb combinations became much more supple throughout each revision during its life. Lots of grip, mid corner balance, high speed stability and good traction out of slow corners with the t/c allowing some slip before frowning at you (it can be switched off). I don't feel short changed with straight line performance, even coming from a couple of V8 Esprits although, like the Esprit, the excitement thrives on revs. Dismissing a V8V as a GT is doing it a disservice and just shows you don't get it. 

I always look forward to driving it, even if it's just a trip to Tesco. Absolutely no regrets in purchasing this car instead of an Evora, in fact the Evora was never really given serious consideration as a purchasing option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say do it based on knowing the history of the Vantage - you know it's been pampered.

You can always get another Evora later if you fall out of enthusiasm for the AM.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely cars I demoed an early 4.3 egined one.  Was a very nice experience and looks so super cool.  But for me preferred the lightness of the Evora the feel and feedback and the ride quality of the Evora.   I still want to own a Vantage at some point but currently the nimbleness of Evora wins possibly when I'm older and I just want to cruise around the Vantage maybe a better car ... ? 

Prices of Vantages is pretty low at the moment,not sure how much lower they will go.  So if you do want to own one this is a good time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×