free hit
counters
esprit s1 headlight motor grease - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

esprit s1 headlight motor grease

Hi Im renovating my S1 headlight motor. Anyone any ideas what sort of grease to use? Ive been told not to use normal grease. Looks like a sandy colour. Cheers.

headlight motor.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I used white lithium grease when I rebuilt the motor on my Stevens. I couldn’t find anything saying not to use it.

Cheers, Gavin

My grease of choice these days is a synthetic type.  Those are supposed to stay consistent in varying temps and will not attack any plastic or rubber. 😁

Or, you could just smear some of the existing lubricant from the edges of the worm drive back into the 'action' area! :scared:

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Do not use anything like a wheel bearing grease as that would be too stiff to be suitable. Likely the grease originally packed into your motor is altogether fine, bearing in mind the gentle operating environment these motors enjoy. Lithium type is probably the correct choice if you decide to change the grease, and synthetic may offer benefit in the event of operating in truly cold conditions.

Cheers

1 hour ago, CarBuff said:

My grease of choice these days is a synthetic type.  Those are supposed to stay consistent in varying temps and will not attack any plastic or rubber. 😁

Or, you could just smear some of the existing lubricant from the edges of the worm drive back into the 'action' area! :scared:

Yes I had thought of doing that. But seeing as its in bits anyway I was going to replace it. Perhaps its the old adage "if its not broke……"!

MY guess is that any good quality grease that doesn't wax up in cold weather will do. This isn't a load bearing component, and neither is it heavily used or stressed. I'd use a good quality synthetic lithium based grease.

Thanks guysfor all your imput. Much appreciated. Sounds like synthetic lithium grease is the way to go. :thumbup: