free hit
counters
Esprit s1 wiper arm - the wrong way round! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

Esprit s1 wiper arm - the wrong way round!

Recommended Posts

Hi all, Ok here's another quandy I cannot find anything about on the forums. (please direct me if Im wrong). As some of you know Im trying to get my Left Hand Drive Esprit S1 on the road(in the UK) Inspecting the wiper connection I have found the plug not connected. On connecting it I found out why! Although it works (after a fashion!) it wants to park on the wrong side. i.e The drivers side which of course is on the left on my car. Looking at various photos of UK and federal S1's I can see that the wiper always parks on the passenger side depending whether it is LHD or RHD. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it round so it parks on the passenger side. Does this mean that for some reason I have got a UK wiper assembly? Or is there a way to make it change it round? Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi all, Ok here's another quandy I cannot find anything about on the forums. (please direct me if Im wrong). As some of you know Im trying to get my Left Hand Drive Esprit S1 on the road(in the UK) Inspecting the wiper connection I have found the plug not connected. On connecting it I found out why! Although it works (after a fashion!) it wants to park on the wrong side. i.e The drivers side which of course is on the left on my car. Looking at various photos of UK and federal S1's I can see that the wiper always parks on the passenger side depending whether it is LHD or RHD. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it round so it parks on the passenger side. Does this mean that for some reason I have got a UK wiper assembly? Or is there a way to make it change it round? Cheers.

The headlamp motor looks very much like the wiper motor on my Daughter's 1976 Mini. I would just source a RHD motor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:20, Paul Coleman said:

The headlamp motor looks very much like the wiper motor on my Daughter's 1976 Mini. I would just source a RHD motor.

Hi Paul, I must have over complicated my question in trying to make it specific! As you say the motor looks a pretty standard Lucas one as found in many cars. I suppose what I should have been asking is this. "Is there a difference in the wiper motor between a RHD car and  LHD car?"  I don't know how, but if there is, then it looks as if I already have a RHD wiper motor and will need to source a LHD one.

1 minute ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi Paul, I must have over complicated my question in trying to make it specific! As you say the motor looks a pretty standard Lucas one as found in many cars. I suppose what I should have been asking is this. "Is there a difference in the wiper motor between a RHD car and  LHD car?"  I don't know how, but if there is, then it looks as if I already have a RHD wiper motor and will need to source a LHD one.

On thinking about it further, that cannot be correct because the motor is located on the drivers side (left!) which would indicate that it is the correct motor for the car.??? I am confused! (it doesn't take much!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:20, Paul Coleman said:

The headlamp motor looks very much like the wiper motor on my Daughter's 1976 Mini. I would just source a RHD motor.

Hi Paul on further investigation,  the Mini motor appears to use a 14 amp motor for the Mini and upped to 16 amps for the Lotus. Seeing as it seems my car seems to be struggling with the 16 amps I don't think a Mini motor would suffice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi Paul on further investigation,  the Mini motor appears to use a 14 amp motor for the Mini and upped to 16 amps for the Lotus. Seeing as it seems my car seems to be struggling with the 16 amps I don't think a Mini motor would suffice.

Interesting to know. There's a RHD wiper arm on eBay at the moment... RHD wiper arm

Not sure if that's cheap or not though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure if there is a difference. The seller seems to making a big thing that's its a RHD wiper. So perhaps there is. Anyway, luckily my LHD wiper seems ok. Brand new old stock of anything seems to command a premium because its a sellers market I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2018 at 23:43, williamtherebel said:

Im not sure if there is a difference. The seller seems to making a big thing that's its a RHD wiper. So perhaps there is. Anyway, luckily my LHD wiper seems ok. Brand new old stock of anything seems to command a premium because its a sellers market I suppose.

Yes, LHD and RHD have different part numbers. £45 + VAT on SJ for a repro one. So cheaper than the one on eBay.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using my original RHD wiper motor on my (now converted to) LHD S2. It's long time ago I did it, but I don't remember any big challenges (...isn't it just about pulling the axle unit and remount one other side of the push-pull cable) 

 

Br /tka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found an old Elite rear wiper motor in the back of my garage. I gave it and the original to my mate who has made one good one from both of them. It now parks on the correct side. Result!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×