free hit
counters
Rear transom - coloured to black - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Folks

Have any of you trusted a body shop with painting your rear transom panel black? I have a Burnt Orange V6 with colour coded rear but want it done black. Curious to know how a body shop would tackle this. Have a go at masking the outline freehand? Or is there a stencil of some kind available from Lotus??

Thanks all

G.

B04E3371-5C53-467D-B627-CAA9B5A03879.jpeg

Edited by Gordon S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A few people have had it done in vinyl with success, if you dont' fancy painting.

Otherwise the paint mask is available as a part from Lotus (Part number A702U0007F)

• Like 1

Ah, they do a paint mask? Makes sense I suppose.

Thanks Arun. 

• Like 1

I've had vinyl then paint on mine.  The paint looks much better.  I know you're a perfectionist, so I suggest getting it painted.

I think what I’ll end up doing is getting it done in vinyl as a test. If I like it, I can then get it painted at some point thereafter. 

I’m hesitant to re-paint the rear end then go “Sh*t, why did I do that...?”

Unless of course vinyl turns out to be really expensive. In which case I’ll probably just take a punt! 

Thanks all. 

Ps. The vinyl in the photo above does look perfect. Good job sir!

• Like 1

I found the Vinyl significantly cheaper than paint - around half the price. Like you I thought that I/next owner could remove it if they didn't like it.

Has your vinyl stayed on properly at the edges? I always thought of vinyl wrapping round the edges of a panel, rather than just being stuck on in a shape like we’re talking about here. 

Yes Vinyl has stayed perfect - even when using citrus pre wash and jet wash close to the edges 

Ok, last question. Did they use the Lotus stencil to get the shape right? Or did they just do it freehand??

7 hours ago, Gordon S said:

Ok, last question. Did they use the Lotus stencil to get the shape right? Or did they just do it freehand??

When doing it with vinyl, they use cutting tape, which means you can accurately do it freehand with no knives used.

I see. Thanks mate. Sounds so easy I might have a go myself.... right after I cut my springs...

11 hours ago, Gordon S said:

As GF says all done freehand. It is quite a skill;)

What place did it for you? Don’t suppose they’re in the south east?

Gordon,

You could also muck around with Photoshop or something like that on your pictures and you may save yourself the bit of money on the vinyl?

13 hours ago, Gordon S said:

What place did it for you? Don’t suppose they’re in the south east?

You could try Wrap Cube in Tolworth.

They did my roof wrap as in page 4 here: https://forums.the playground.org/p/7465823

Good guys. Recommended.