free hit
counters
I've done some pretty daft things in my life - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Spinney

I've done some pretty daft things in my life

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad you escaped unscathed!

Do you have the route you took?

Yes I do, albeit in the form of a tulip map. I'll try and put something on a conventional map and copy it tomorrow. Some of the roads were precisely what a Lotus is made for. 

Wales, this was our last attempt at Welsh roads. :wallbash:

051BEFEB-47D7-4752-9D38-9D01202D4B01.jpeg

• Like 1

Great writing, thank you! I could really picture the scenario. I'm irrationally delicate about an "S", I'd be beyond paranoid in a new 410. Good on you for still giving it a go!

.... Interestingly, of those who were on the trip with us, only one had ever seen an Evora before and most others were asking what it was and showing great interest in the car. It drew a huge amount of praise from everybody for how it looks and, particularly, for how it sounds!

Yes, I still don't 'get' why they are not selling more of them. Porkeys are a dime a dozen! 

• Like 2

You'll find in the manual it says after the first few hundred miles that "brief periods" of full revs are encouraged.

Every engineer I've spoken to says a degree of hard use during the running in period is a good thing.

• Like 1

I would stick to the manual. These things have little spies in the ECU that log the revs/over revs and come warranty claim time if you haven't done it right....

There's a very good video here that debunks a lot of myths surrounding running in

I’ve always tended towards varying the rpm when running in, rather than letting the engine run at a constant speed and certainly never let it labour. I agree that using some revs is better as it helps the rings bed in and prevents glazing of the bores. 

Interesting.

On aeroplane piston engines, the procedure is to use Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for a continuous period of more than 30 minutes... however WOT would only be circa 2400 RPM.

16 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I would stick to the manual. These things have little spies in the ECU that log the revs/over revs and come warranty claim time if you haven't done it right....

There's a very good video here that debunks a lot of myths surrounding running in...

What is the manual procedure for the 4xx cars then?  Has Lotus written anything under a 'break in' procedure?

The key to running in properly, in my view, is to use the car on longer journeys wherever possible so that the oil has the chance to get properly warm, vary the engine speeds, never let it labour and use the occasional high rpm.

Not that we would know on current cars as they don't have a coolant temperature gauge anyway,  but just waiting until the engine reaches its normal running temperature before occasionally giving it some beans isn't good enough. It's the oil temperature which is the critical figure and that will often take between 10-15 miles to reach its normal running figure - much longer than the coolant.

Doing the above has always worked well for me in breaking an engine in.

Not sure it's that long for the oil, to be honest.

27 minutes ago, EGTE said:

Not sure it's that long for the oil, to be honest.

Oh believe me it is. I’ve had oil temperature gauges on previous cars and it always takes that long for the oil to reach normal operating temperatures. Obviously the shorter end of the distance range in the summer and the longer end in colder weather. 

The coolant will generally be up to temperature within a couple of miles but oil in the sump will take considerably longer. It’s surprising but perfectly true. 

Agreed ^^^

Martin and Steve Edwards of 'The Edwards Boyz' (LotusPower) convert to Honda power for Elises... They are shit hot on conversions and running in new engines correctly. 

I went for a drive with Martin in a newly converted Exige and he was totally fixated on the oil temperature being above 90c before he would give the car the beans... that took over 9 miles on a standard UK summer day!

But the rest was well worth waiting for!!! 😎

• Like 1

Depends on the speed you do those 9 miles 😉

I think 10 minutes is probably enough, certainly judging by my experience with cars that have oil-temp. gauges.

5 hours ago, EGTE said:

Depends on the speed you do those 9 miles 😉

I think 10 minutes is probably enough, certainly judging by my experience with cars that have oil-temp. gauges.

It does, indeed, depend on what speed you’re doing, so assuming you’re achieving an average of 60mph, ie 1 mile a minute, (difficult to better that as an average on the roads) for those 10 minutes you mention, then you will have covered err 10 miles. So yes I think you agree with me. 😁

The slower you go, the longer it will take to thoroughly warm the oil. The coolant will still get to normal operating temperatures fairly quickly, particularly when you bear in mind it has a thermostat which limits the flow through the radiator during the warming period. A standard wet sump setup without oil cooler has no such aid to quick warming.