free hit
counters
3-Eleven Track Tyres - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hangar 111

3-Eleven Track Tyres

Anyone got any experience with any other tyres than the OEM Cup2?  Maybe the PS4?

Asking on behalf of customer who isn't getting on too well with the Cup2.

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
33 minutes ago, TheKevlarKid said:

@Hangar 111

PS4 is a great all round tyre, should be fine.

Should have added - for mainly track use.

@Hangar 111 

Yep, track too. 

Like I say, the ps4 is great all round tyre. Road, track, wet, dry...the best you can buy imo if you want a tyre to do a bit of everything and do it well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKevlarKid said:

ps4 is great all round tyre. Road, track, wet, dry...the best you can buy imo

agree. but for mainly track usage, the cup2 should be a better choice. you can test the PS4S which is an intermediate between PS4 and CUP2 

3 hours ago, geartox said:

agree. but for mainly track usage, the cup2 should be a better choice. you can test the PS4S which is an intermediate between PS4 and CUP2 

Yes they are but they are not so forgiving as the PS4. Not everyone is a driving hero, uprating stuff like brake pads, tyres, suspension etc narrows the operating window. Faster yes, deeper and harder under braking, yes, quicker and more responsive in the corners, yes. but in doing that it's all the more easy to mess it up and/or not have the ability to extract the most from it all. Soften it up, less aggressive brakes and a set of tyres that let you know what is happening well before they reach their limit opens it up to a much wider audience to get fun from with it not being so edgy and requiring a much finer touch to get the best out of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geartox said:

I must admit I havent tried the 4S yet. They came out just after I bought my current set of 4's.

'I've just watched the video you posted and its sort of a good comparison between them but not a perfect conclusion.

The ford wouldn't have had a semi slick track tyre on from new, it would have come with a more road based tyre like the 4 or 4s. He goes on about the cup2 promoting a bit more oversteer but that'll mainly be down to the suspension being setup more for a road tyre.

The cups will allow you to brake harder and corner harder which in turn will cause the car to pitch more under braking shifting weight to the the front and make it roll more in the corners, it will start to loose grip at either end depending on the weight shift going on.

To get the best from the cups would require the cars suspension and roll bars to be uprated and stiffened up. Where as running a road based tyre on a more track focused set up wouldn't have quite as big effect as trying to run track tyres on a more road based car (if that makes sense).

One thing I do like about Michelin tyres is their consistency throughout their life cycle. I've tried lots of different brands over the years, some are great for the first half of thier life but tail off and get skitty as the tread wears down (Pirelli), some are great but just don't last very long (yokohama), where as the michelin stay consistent down to the wear limits and last for a reasonable amount of time. 

Still my tyre of choice in whichever guise.

I fitted PS4S to my GT3 recently. It was previously on PSS. Have done around 250 road miles in the PS4S. 

Superb tyre. Compared to PSS: quieter, more compliant, yet more precise. Improved steering feel and accuracy. Car feels more planted. Very pleased