free hit
counters
Gated shifter? Yay or Nay? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hspeck

Gated shifter? Yay or Nay?

I saw a youtube video and saw the gated shifter in the guy's Esprit.

I thought it looked good and complements the Esprit's interior well ...

Anyone has the same thoughts?

I believe it has to be custom made as the shift positions for the Esprit probably varies from car to car.

Any obvious reason why it is a bad idea?

Thanks.

Screenshot_2018-10-16-21-56-35-1_resized.png

thought I will should the vid too ...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn't do it personally. I could only imagine it becoming annoying if cables stretched or parts wore etc making the shift positions change until it was fixed.

And it's just so Ferrari.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree. With the amount of meddling you have to do on the Esprit to get the gear change nice already, adding yet another thing to have to line up with is only going to add to that nightmare. :)

+ 1 for "don't do it". Having taken apart the entire chain from the master unit to the translator there's just so much adjustment and risk it'll shift over time... 

Thanks for the advise guys!

Have junked the idea!

Good call I think. While it could look nice, you'd run into some problems. Heat from the backbone entering the passenger compartment for example. I know what a difference a new bottom gaiter made on mine, so wouldn't want to have an open connection. And it would be a very tight fit to get something to seal under the open gaiter.

And then there's the problems with adjustment, as already mentioned.

Filip

I agree, but some of these potential problems that may arise over time, could possibly be mended by two things:

1/ regular adjustment and looking after the complete mec.

2/ installing the late type gear box end cover, shift cables on each side, clips, bracket and the latest type gear master unit, which does not have the rubber bushings that become worn and make for a rubbery elongated shift movement.

I think it's doable.

Btw. I personally think Lamborghini is much more of a mans car than a girlie dancing donkey and it too, have gated shifter.

Kind regards,

jacques

shifter.jpg

Jacques, anything (almost) can be mended. I just don't think it's worth the trouble, just for looks. Especially not on a car that is driven a lot, as opposed to just displayed. I did consider it myself (remnants of a childhood dream), but only for a second...

Filip

I agree, I probably wouldn't do it myself as well, but it looks sooooo good. And that thick metal plate just speaks to me (my ego).

That, in combination with an expected snick, vroooooo, snick, vrooooooo, snick, vroooooo when driving... mmmm....

Kindregards,

Jacques

Great to have some first hand info Spence, thanks!

What did you use for seal under the gate? I guess for a track car you could just leave it open.

Great video BTW, I like what you did with the car to keep it usable. :thumbsup:

Filip

Thank you. The car came quite a long way after that video was released as well. Sadly I had to sell it to fund my Europa race program. 

Regarding the seal, I used the stock rubber boot and just rolled the top part down so it didn't interfere with the gate. 

s

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 07:03, Spencer Canon said:

Hi all, I'm the guy in the video. George from Soup was kind enough to alert me to the discussion. I made that gate in order to solve a problem I was having with excess shifter movement that a new bushing set didn't resolve. Though my ability to engage gears wasn't an issue, the shifter would return to the 3rd-4th plane no matter what gear the car was in. I used to track this car quite a bit and the fact that the shift knob would return to the neutral position screwed with my muscle memory, causing me to miss shifts. The gate wasn't really there to help me get it in gear but more to help the shifter stay in a position that matched the gear it was in. 

You may notice the gate openings are quite wide, so there was plenty of room for the linkage's native imprecision. Perhaps there are better solutions but I never regretted the decision to make the gate: it improved shifting, looked great (IMO) and had that satisfying metal click to boot. But I wouldn't suggest making your own simply for aesthetic purposes unless you're really committed to making it work correctly.

Carrot 2.jpg

Carrot 1.jpg

Carrot 3.jpg

Thanks for posting on this thread!

My intention was also to make sure I do not mis-shift, as I plan to bring the car to the track. (if and when my car comes out from the alignment shop .... which has been 3 weeks!!)

If you don't mind, can you send me the dimensions if you still have them .... in case I change my mind, as it seems to be easily fabricated..

Thanks.