free hit
counters
Ali radiator for 380:Sport - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark030358

Ali radiator for 380:Sport

So my front clam is coming off next month to have the windscreen replaced under warranty due tondiscolouration of the black surround.

While it’s off I was considering replacing the radiator with an ali one as I believe the original radiators are prone to popping the ends off. In fact a 220 SC Elise I had with around 10 k on the clock did exactly the same ( after I sold it) and I believe it’s the same type.

Anyone else done this and can anyone advise a supplier/type etc. And any other thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

See thread below

Although the design is of the same ilk, I can't actually recall any V6 owners reporting failure.

Hi Mark - when you say discolouration of the surround......do you have a photo to show what that looks like please ?

Thanks

Stephen 

ProAlloy:

http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=det&pt=52_62_178_1671&p=207&id=proalloy

Used on all my provius cars, but not changed mine yet as not had the clam off. Wouldn't bother with the triple pass rad for normal road use, so stick with the one in the link above

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Hi Mark - when you say discolouration of the surround......do you have a photo to show what that looks like please ?

Thanks

Stephen 

Hi Stephen,

Here you go. 

surround1

surround2.jpg

surround1.jpg

I’ve got a bit of that going on......but mine looks more like water marks - not sure if it can be removed? Have tried but no luck so far.....🤔

4 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

I’ve got a bit of that going on......but mine looks more like water marks - not sure if it can be removed? Have tried but no luck so far.....🤔

What have you tried with? gtechnic C4 will likely sort it. Certainly restored a friends Elise that was worse than that, it’s worth a try

36 minutes ago, MrP_ said:

What have you tried with? gtechnic C4 will likely sort it. Certainly restored a friends Elise that was worse than that, it’s worth a try

Used a Matt detailer only so far. Will give the C4 a go - thanks for the tip👍

The problem is it will come back. 

Cheers

The oem rads with plastic end caps can pop and often do. However, it can also be looked at as a fail safe mode...

If the car decides to overheat in anyway then the first thing to go is the plastic ends caps and wont result in damage to the engine in any other way. 

When I was racing my 2-11 I ran off track at Cadwell park and over the freshly mowed grass at Mansfield.  The front grill intake to the rad got completely blocked with grass cuttings and stopped airflow going to the rad. Another lap around the plastic end cap burst due to the system overheating. Had that been a full ali rad it wouldn't have popped and I could of easily ended up doing more serious damage to the engine. 

If it aint broke dont fix it...

1 hour ago, TheKevlarKid said:

The oem rads with plastic end caps can pop and often do. However, it can also be looked at as a fail safe mode...

If the car decides to overheat in anyway then the first thing to go is the plastic ends caps and wont result in damage to the engine in any other way. 

When I was racing my 2-11 I ran off track at Cadwell park and over the freshly mowed grass at Mansfield.  The front grill intake to the rad got completely blocked with grass cuttings and stopped airflow going to the rad. Another lap around the plastic end cap burst due to the system overheating. Had that been a full ali rad it wouldn't have popped and I could of easily ended up doing more serious damage to the engine. 

If it aint broke dont fix it...

Interesting point of view.

thanks and appreciated.

Have to say in 15k miles across 3 different v6 Exige, never had a problem. Stop spending money fella ;)

57 minutes ago, DJW said:

Have to say in 15k miles across 3 different v6 Exige, never had a problem. Stop spending money fella ;)

Looks like an Ex460 in February for me, hence the radiator thing whilst the clam is off due to the windscreen being replaced.... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Looks like an Ex460 in February for me, hence the radiator thing whilst the clam is off due to the windscreen being replaced.... 

The clam has to come off anyway for the 460 I thought , so might be easier to get h111 to do the whole lot in feb?

4 minutes ago, MrP_ said:

The clam has to come off anyway for the 460 I thought , so might be easier to get h111 to do the whole lot in feb?

dont think it does tbh. but will check.

thanks

1 hour ago, Mark030358 said:

dont think it does tbh. but will check.

thanks

No, it doesn't need to come off to ex460

• Like 1

Further to a possible KT 460 upgrade on a 380:Sport in February  which, is 99.99% certain, I asked about the rpm limit. Feedback came that it would be circa 7000 rpm due to valve train differences.

Quite a while ago I did a post on Exige engines self destructing at higher RPMs see link below...

Is there anything in this or am I being paranoid? Also on this vein, how many gearboxes have imploded with the KT Upgrade? This probably wont affect my decision it’s just that I am curious.

thanks

Mark

On 20/10/2018 at 16:06, 550superfast said:

No, it doesn't need to come off to ex460

Fair enough, my mistake! Need to get to see a 460 install soon before I make a decision!

21 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Further to a possible KT 460 upgrade on a 380:Sport in February  which, is 99.99% certain, I asked about the rpm limit. Feedback came that it would be circa 7000 rpm due to valve train differences.

Quite a while ago I did a post on Exige engines self destructing at higher RPMs see link below...

Is there anything in this or am I being paranoid? Also on this vein, how many gearboxes have imploded with the KT Upgrade? This probably wont affect my decision it’s just that I am curious.

thanks

Mark

I’d recommend speaking direct to Komotec, they’ve always been pretty open to questions.

Personally ive heard of clutches going but not gearboxes, especially as I think you already have the extra gearbox cooler which always seem to be the recommendation.

For the Rev limit on the 380, I was led to believe it was to protect the SC, due to the smaller pulley. But struggled to get a definitive statement from anyone at the factory 

• Like 1

I’d be getting the clutch upgraded at the same time...