free hit
counters
Little winter project - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

Little winter project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice, they really are becoming classy classics.

• Like 1

Looks great Barry - so much nicer to drive with the V8 - I saw this one for sale and thought it looked like a sharp buy for somebody.

have you looked under the rear end to see if it’s a Spyder Donnington? (Jag IRS grafted into replacement Spyder chassis)

what gearbox is it running? Rover Hydraulic clutch?

Looks to be a very late series 1.

🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

2/ I hadn’t told the missus

Barry you'll get into trouble.....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Barry you'll get into trouble.....

Wendy now told 😂 - she’s asked when it’s coming.....

48 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Looks great Barry - so much nicer to drive with the V8 - I saw this one for sale and thought it looked like a sharp buy for somebody.

have you looked under the rear end to see if it’s a Spyder Donnington? (Jag IRS grafted into replacement Spyder chassis)

what gearbox is it running? Rover Hydraulic clutch?

Looks to be a very late series 1.

🙂

Hydraulic clutch which the master cylinder is shagged - believe it’s a Lockheed unit - maybe mgb 

not sure of the gearbox - I’ll try and find out.

funny you mention spyder donnington - as that’s the info booklet that came with it. I believe that’s exactly what it is.At some point I’ll take some pics when it’s on the ramp.

19 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Wendy now told 😂 - she’s asked when it’s coming.....

Made me laugh.

She clearly doesn’t listen to me. 

This should sit as a nice stopgap until the Evora comes

When’s that coming .... wait ... open the garage .... surprise 

• Haha 1

Probably a few days after the S4 goes......

A good buy. Clearly lots of money has been spent at some point I the past. It will be a nice car once recommissioned

• Like 1

Barry,

Take some pics under the back. There is a strong chance its running a Salisbury 4HU Jaguar unit, which will give you proper gearing and probably and lsd.

If its a Spyder Donnington, I think it'll have Jaguar shafts and UJ's as well, but I'm not certain of this last point, having never examined one closely.

The salisbury 4HU is a much beefier and stronger salisbury diff than the 7HA. Much better range of available ratios for a V8 transplant.

Dunc

• Love 1

I’ll get some pics over the weekend. You are getting me all excited now.

the diff was a beast of a thing - much bigger than I was expecting. 

Are there many of them about? Is it a desirable upgrade?

I was very hesitant about grabbing this as it’s not an original lotus lump in it.

No, not that many.

Spyder cottoned on to the rusting chassis and marketed the Donnington chassis  kit for people who wanted a "better" Lotus elite/eclat.

It was a replacement chassis designed for the V8 engine with appropriate mounts, which utilised a Jag IRS centre at the back to give appropriate gearing and supposedly eliminate the overstressed driveshafts. Jag IRS with powrlok diffs and appropriate gear ratios for a V8 were littering every scrappie in the UK at this time (standard 4.1 and 3.73:1 are a bit short for a Rover V8).

Some people weren't that impressed with some of Spyders offerings for the elite and eclat, saying the designs needed more development, but you cant argue with the components robustness compared to the standard spec. Not sure if the Donninton also utilised the Jag rear discs - I have a feeling it did..

As far as desirability...As always, the cars are worth what someones prepared to pay. To the right buyer (perhaps me) a V8 engined car is much more desirable than the standard one. But I'm probably not your typical Lotus classic car buyer.

What I would say is having owned both standard and V8, I'd find it hard to go back to a 4 cylinder one.

I think you have the makings of a very good car there....

• Thanks 1

The chap was very accurate indeed with his description of the car when I asked him specifics.

im very much looking forward to getting it back up and running. I’m sure the rear discs are inboard units.

it was nice to hear it running today - but there a leaking seal on the fuel pump which also needs attention.

plan is to MOT and use and fettle over the winter

Great buy Barry. You'll find yourself falling in love with this, its so different to an Esprit but has equal amounts of loveliness.

Get a Series 2 front spoiler, its far better for cooling than the tiny one fitted as original. 

If the winow frames are rotten you'll need to get a pair of brand new ones made from the original material on the original jigs before they are all gone (not many left). Check out lotusexcel.net for details. 

:) 

Awesome Barry :thumbup:

Great looking car and one of the best colours to show off the cars design,  

What are the plans, is she a keeper or are you selling on ?   

Good luck with the project and it looks like you got a very good deal,  chassis is always a worry with these, so you have done really well with this one :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

@silverfrost I bought it as i needed a four seater practical lotus - that what I told the missus anyway.

plans are to mot and use for a while. Who knows after that. This little project is looking a whole lot simpler than an Esprit 

Sounds great Barry, 

As Tim said,  Ithink you will become very attached to it :)   Rolling resto is always the way ahead, the beauty with the elite is as you say, you get four seats, sleek design, and a much cheaper and more plentifull new/ used parts supply chain in hand also !

Winner, winner chicken dinner all day long  :thumbsup: 

Just need to get some time this weekend to pop and check that this is the correct replacement for the master cy13D3CD74-97A2-4064-9C13-8199BBD83795.thumb.jpeg.e0a1bbb4c07a91f50f72f7d4ddc213fe.jpeglinder 

That is great documentation of the conversion - thanks for posting.

It does look like a project with lots of potential; I look forward to seeing you out & about on the lanes of Worcestershire!

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

Having read that brochure I now have chassis envy. Thanks for posting, it makes interesting reading but I guess was not cheap swap in the day and was done by really committed owners only.

I’ll get some decent pics when it’s up on a ramp and I’ll clean it up a bit from the oil which is smeared everywhere. The brochure is a nice thing to have with the car which confirms exactly what it is. Rather than an adjusted cut and shut setup it’s a proper upgrade chassis swap affair.

the diff isn’t a lotus one that’s for sure. I popped past the farm this afternoon to double check the clutch master cylinder. Car fired up first flick of the key now the battery has been on charge overnight.

the aim is to get it ready for mot next week.

• Like 1