free hit
counters
Engine Cover - is it necessary ? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

Engine Cover - is it necessary ?

Is it necessary to use the engine cover?  I’m my old Alpine GTA Turbo if you used the car without the cover the heat caused the tailgate glass to fail usually on opening or closing the tailgate.  

Foes the cover in the Evora serve a similar purpose to prevent heat damage of another purpose that is more than just aesthetic ?

I prefer the look of the engine bay without the cover. 

If it makes any difference mine is an S. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The later ones didn't come with a cover anyway so presumably it has no detrimental effect removing it.

I did consider 'losing' mine not long after I got the car but the NA engine isn't that exciting (or pretty) to look at so treated it to a nice red 'motorsport' one instead, :) .

Engine Cover.jpg

13 minutes ago, blueg33 said:

Is it necessary to use the engine cover?  I’m my old Alpine GTA Turbo if you used the car without the cover the heat caused the tailgate glass to fail usually on opening or closing the tailgate.  

Foes the cover in the Evora serve a similar purpose to prevent heat damage of another purpose that is more than just aesthetic ?

I prefer the look of the engine bay without the cover. 

If it makes any difference mine is an S. 

Our old (2015) S also an auto had no cover

I remove the cover on track to let the heat out. No glass failure.

I have now removed the glass and installed a louvred cover.

No. It’s purely a cosmetic piece. 

(I have replaced mine with the smaller, Exige covers. But I’ve only got those to help keep the rain off some of the electrical bits). 

B54D0DBD-FD04-48FC-893B-07F3ADCE346E.jpeg

That looks good. Did you have to adapt the Exige covers?  Are they carbon fibre? If so where did you source them from?

Yep, cf engine covers. I bought them from elise-shop.com but I’m pretty sure that they are made by HKFever. (It might be slightly cheaper to go direct). 

They fit straight on (as long as you buy a fitting kit. More of that later). However, on the Evora, the lower cover (ie the one nearest to you) interferes with the bracket for the right hand boot strut. Therefore you have 3 options: 1) don’t fit the cover; 2) cut the cf so that it clears the bracket (no thanks!); 3) remove the bracket. I went for option 3) but because the bootlid can’t be held up by only one strut, I’ve got a Plan B (added lightness, innit!):

613D07D0-29E7-4953-943E-BCBB3DF2E6C5.jpeg

Regarding the fitting kit, these are just a series of bolts or brackets which are fitted to the V6 Exige, just not the Evora. elise-shop.com will sell you it as a kit but it is (slightly) cheaper to get the part numbers from their listing then order the parts separately (from @Bibs, for example). 

On 22/10/2018 at 02:41, Bravo73 said:

No. It’s purely a cosmetic piece. 

(I have replaced mine with the smaller, Exige covers. But I’ve only got those to help keep the rain off some of the electrical bits). 

B54D0DBD-FD04-48FC-893B-07F3ADCE346E.jpeg

Not to hi-jack this thread but can you elaborate on what your CAI system is!? Looks huge... and very efficient! 

11 hours ago, pete757 said:

Not to hi-jack this thread but can you elaborate on what your CAI system is!? Looks huge... and very efficient! 

It is based on an ITG filter:

5EDB2B3C-644E-4AB8-BAF5-A0616A57758F.jpeg

C08F87A1-3543-449B-8643-698856544610.jpeg

Speak to ES Motorsports. 

Nice :>)

Looks a bit like the BOE version.

They are all variations on the same theme (because they use the same ITG filter). 

On 25/10/2018 at 03:30, Bravo73 said:

It is based on an ITG filter:

5EDB2B3C-644E-4AB8-BAF5-A0616A57758F.jpeg

C08F87A1-3543-449B-8643-698856544610.jpeg

Speak to ES Motorsports. 

Where is your MAF relocated to?

Good spot. My engine now has a MAP. ;)

On 18/11/2018 at 12:50, Bravo73 said:

Good spot. My engine now has a MAP. ;)

are you running an aftermarket ECU?