free hit
counters
Geo settings - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Hi There

Thought I would start a topic where people can upload Geo settings and discuss how the car feels now

Objectives of Geo 

- Reduce understeer overall

- Specifically reduce turn in and mid corner understeer

- Make the car more pointy, and the car oversteer more

Before and after on the Geo

44749746294_83ca864a57_b.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3954 by mikeharper2, on Flickr

Results

- Car has less understeer overall, especially turn in oversteer 

- Weirdly the car actually feels more stable and balanced than before - where I wanted it to be a little more edgy and pointy

- The car seems to have a touch less feel at the straight ahead - which I can't really understand given the change in the geo. 

I think to get the car where I absolutely want it, I'm going to have to go down the coilover route. Worth the geo change though to get the turn in understeer better.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I guess you maxed out the front camber at around -1.4 with standard parts

I had the oem front arms (and/or hubs) shaved by a lotus racing team to get even more camber at around -2.5 front as you cant reach that with standard parts or you would have to find some lotus motorsport parts.

I would say that the overall settings of your alignment are in the right direction for what you want but the increased rear camber at -2.4 especially without a similar front camber will make the rear end more grippy and stable wich depending on the conditions or what you want can be a good thing but not what should make your car oversteer or rotate more I think.

You slightly opened the front toe wich should probably make the turn in easier but the straight line self centering of the steering wheel lower so you should feel the steering wheel easier to turn in the curve and slower and less prone to come back at center.

If you would prefer a more direct seering feel you can still fine tune it to 0.0 toe at front or go back to a slight toe in.

Also you have more rear toe in wich should make the rear less oversteering in mid curve and curve exit but I think that on a road car it s right like that as less toe in could make it more twichy to control on the road.

I would leave the rear toe in at factory spec or very near and probably the 0.19 toe in is fine.

Always have a look at how your tyres get used (outside or inside) and you can fine tune camber accordingly.

If you don t plan to use more camber on the front as it requires mods you could try a little less camber maybe around -2.1 and 0.0 toe front or a slight toe in at 0.02

Of course take all I say as an opinion as I am not an expert at all and there are many many things that can make the geo af a car react differently from tyre pressures to suspensions to tyres width and rim offsets and those indications are just from what I felt from using quite aggressive camber settings on different track cars.

Track coilovers will make your handling much better depending on what stock suspension you have and might have more adjustablity but should not give you more front camber adjustablity on the lotus and won t replace well suited geo settings.

• Like 2

That was a really interesting response thanks and some of the articulation is bang on. 

Yes couldn't' get more than the 1.4 with standard parts so debating camber arms at the moment. 

Your statement 

You slightly opened the front toe wich should probably make the turn in easier but the straight line self centering of the steering wheel lower so you should feel the steering wheel easier to turn in the curve and slower and less prone to come back at center.

Is very accurate - overall the car feels less 'nervy' as it doesn't want to return to centre as aggressively. It's definitely smoother, and possibly faster but not necessarily as exciting. 

The rear camber is a good shout - I think I'm going to get them to dial that back - until I find a way to get more camber at the front. No doubt it will be slower but I would like the car to be pointier and rotate more

Thanks again for the post 

5 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

I guess you maxed out the front camber at around -1.4 with standard parts

I had the oem front arms (and/or hubs) shaved by a lotus racing team to get even more camber at around -2.5 front as you cant reach that with standard parts or you would have to find some lotus motorsport parts.

I would say that the overall settings of your alignment are in the right direction for what you want but the increased rear camber at -2.4 especially without a similar front camber will make the rear end more grippy and stable wich depending on the conditions or what you want can be a good thing but not what should make your car oversteer or rotate more I think.

If you would prefer a more direct seering feel you can still fine tune it to 0.0 toe at front or go back to a slight toe in.

Also you have more rear toe in wich should make the rear less oversteering in mid curve and curve exit but I think that on a road car it s right like that as less toe in could make it more twichy to control on the road.

I would leave the rear toe in at factory spec or very near and probably the 0.19 toe in is fine.

Always have a look at how your tyres get used (outside or inside) and you can fine tune camber accordingly.

If you don t plan to use more camber on the front as it requires mods you could try a little less camber maybe around -2.1 and 0.0 toe front or a slight toe in at 0.02

Of course take all I say as an opinion as I am not an expert at all and there are many many things that can make the geo af a car react differently from tyre pressures to suspensions to tyres width and rim offsets and those indications are just from what I felt from using quite aggressive camber settings on different track cars.

Track coilovers will make your handling much better depending on what stock suspension you have and might have more adjustablity but should not give you more front camber adjustablity on the lotus and won t replace well suited geo settings.

Excellent response, very interesting and the first time I have really understood what each element of the geo achieves.

Thanks

I wanted to buy camber arms from elise parts but they replied to me that their design would not allow any more camber than the standard ones.

Only solution I found was to shave some material from the standard parts.

Recently someone told me about Lotus Motorsport arms for the exige v6 but even if they were available I don t think they would be easy to find anymore.