free hit
counters
Extra link on rear axle? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

This has an extra link on the rear axle. Will this work well? The first Esprits have the drive shafts that as suspension rods work. But in this case they modified it. See below.

$_20.jpg
$_20.jpg

Here the link of the car:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The rear suspension on the early Esprit is not very different to that of its predecessor the Europa. Spyder do a conversion to put dual link suspension on the Europa, but any such change needs to be designed to replicate the motion of the original else it will alter the handling, and the Spyder idea moves from universal joints to CV joints to allow for the variation in driveshaft length through travel.

On 22/10/2018 at 19:11, andydclements said:

CV joints to allow for the variation in driveshaft length through travel.

Exactly, if the above mod has added a top link but still using UJs I dont see how that can work as the driveshaft length would still be fixed. 

Given the grease fitting on the driveshaft, I would guess this car has some sort of sliding spline under the black boot to allow variation in length.

9 hours ago, snowrx said:

I would guess this car has some sort of sliding spline under the black boot to allow variation in length.

The problem with sliding splines is they don't when the drive shaft is torqued up, i.e accelerating & braking, that's why CV joints are used.  🙄

The potential problem with this mod (as Triumph Stag owners will know), is that splined driveshafts don't slide very well, if at all, when under torsion. They tend to lock up, and when the car is cornering it can feel very unpleasant.

Oh, just seen John's post above!

26 minutes ago, gvy said:

In de US , Claudius has done and sold such a modification for the S1 and S2 esprits :

Using sliding splines, not good. :thumbdown:

55afeb71dead1e889b4a9312e6ab5e94?AccessKeyId=DE09C33E46F99E5D2627&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Also using rose joints is not good practice on a road car suspension.

They provide no insulation against knocks and will be prone to cracking and possible failure unless regularly checked, as they would be on a race car.

1 hour ago, gvy said:

Jean,

In de US , Claudius has done and sold such a modification for the S1 and S2 esprits :

Some pictures from this website: https://www.lotuspbc.com/s1---s2-brakes.html

be13f2ed1d51e9004a832260a71e1c70.thumb.jpg.de50a9f65f485173006a3140d792c020.jpg879ada3b6cedc0757bdc9e80b5648fe0.thumb.jpg.72ec6720e02693f825a920770484ff48.jpg

Only to do in full resto and no result. That is a pitty!

Looks pretty, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a conversion.

The other option is the Datsun 240Z driveshaft pattern, which has ball bearings in grooves to prevent it from locking up under tension. These were also used on the  'Tri-Dat' Triumph Stag conversion to overcome the original splined driveshaft issues, probably with different-sized U/J spiders, but I can't remember.

RA-10-Drive-Shaft-Exploded-View-1024x761.jpg

DSCF1565.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gvy said:

Jean,

Some pictures from this website: https://www.lotuspbc.com/s1---s2-brakes.html

That don't look good..Its creating negative camber under load, opposite to what is required.

Turn the chassis upside down to make it handle 😃