free hit
counters
Newbie advice needed - V6s vs V6S CR vs 350 Sport - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Petr Sebesta

Newbie advice needed - V6s vs V6S CR vs 350 Sport

Hi folks!

Next year I may finally be able to fulfill my dream and get myself into a V6 Exige. Given the facts, budget and options below , which Exige would you choose? One important thing to keep in mind is that I would have to do the LHD conversion, which from what I saw is £3-4k

Budget: ~£46 000

Intended use: 70% track, 30% road(trips) 

Current car: Corvette C5 with decent track mods

Exige experience so far: Not much. Had a ride in standard 350 Sport on track, was impressed but not blown away, performance felt similar to the Vette. Drove 410 Sport in Hethel and was blown away

V6S: From what I read the suspension might need some work for track use. On the other hand the budget might allow some decent mods (Nitron 3 way, 2-piece brakes, harnesses, gear linakge etc.)

Club Racer: I thought it would fit the bill nicely, but am bit afraid of the "old" gear linkage (don't understand why it is used even on late 2016 cars?) and perhaps a bit harsh suspension for our bumpy b-roads. Any CR owners here willing to share their experience? What would be the performance difference on track against standard V6S/350 Sport?

350 Sport: I guess my budget would barely buy me some of the first 350s and I would have to save a bit more for mods. Can the 350 be tracked "as is" (temperatures, geometry setup,...)?

Thanks for any advice. If you have any links for a good read on this topic, please share.

Petr

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, JG220 said:

Have you thought about an S2 or cup Elise? 

Yes, but I want the punch/sound of a V6 

The CR, is basically a normal V6 with lightweight battery (not lithium) and different carpeting/interior spec right ? I think it is a bit useless, I mean no need to convince yourself that you need a CR, you can do those changes yourself, on a cheaper V6 and with better spec battery to save more kgs .. The 350 has different gear linkage, but still no gearbox cooler, so you will still have same trouble on track with heat ..  

I'd go for Sport 350 - newer better fully functional car. You'll modify it later on if you wish. Also, contrary to what people generally day, I did not notice anything constraining from the lack of gearbox oil cooler so far. But maybe I'm just too slow. :driving:

Thanks guys, it seems this will go down to "I'do what I did" :) But valuable inputs nonetheless.

The thing is I don't know any details of what was improved from V6S to 350 Sport outside that gear linkage and some weight savings. Reliability is of course a big factor too. My local dealer says I should look for post 09/2016 cars, where Lotus introduced major improvement in the production and quality processes, but he would not know more details than that. If we stick with facts, the truth is that 350 is 2 sec faster on Hethel's track, with worse tires, so there must be some major performance improvements. Would V6S with Nitrons, Trofeos and better brakes go faster still though? ;) 

The 350 is not that different when it goes to laps I think, couple of lighters parts (panels mainly), modified rear subframe ?  I also think the new weight figure is based on the full lighter options, like forged wheels (with wider tyres by the way), AC delete and so on .. And Hethel time, well they just improve each time somehow anyway.

I do not think anyone has expressed  a "do what I did" yet ... 

I do think that a 345 with nitrons and brakes would be faster, and you can make it 350 light as well (even lighter actually), at the end of the day, you pay mostly for the open gate I guess. 

At the end, to me it just depends on how much you want to spend there, specially for a 70% track car , you will be better to modify an original v6 to improve the value/performance ratio, but if that's not your concern, well get the latest then ?  But if you want a ready to track car for a strict 46k, then original V6 with mods.

6 hours ago, chumaxa said:

you pay mostly for the open gate I guess

This is very true, as I understand currently the only part that is really difficult or impossible to bring on par in V6 vs 350.

If the V6S you consider has a good gear shift (to check while on a test drive with the gear box oil hot) then there really is no need to bother with a 350 for a 70% track car ... just go with the V6S and modify it to your needs and budget .... 

Thank you guys. The V6S + mods makes more sense I  guess. Let's see what 410 Sport does with V6S prices, I'm afraid it will not lower them, rather stabilize them as it starts at double the price of older V6s :(

Btw, any experience with this shifter? https://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6-350-380/Gearbox/Shifter-Alitech-KT-350.html :)