free hit
counters
door lock rods - Esprit, Eclat Elite etc - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

door lock rods - Esprit, Eclat Elite etc

Anybody know where you can source the door lock rods, clips, grommits etc for the early Esprits / Eclats etc? Some of mine are missing and the rest don't look too healthy either. Chris Neals (Oakmere) just tells me everything is obsolete. Did I read on here somewhere that someone had installed a different system that was  a lot better? Or at least an alternative? Cheers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just rebuilt the door locks on an S1 and they are a bloody pain to do. I salvaged some of a scrap car which were fairly good. May have a few left, how many do you need. I think there are either 4 or 5 to a door.

12 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Anybody know where you can source the door lock rods, clips, grommits etc for the early Esprits / Eclats etc? Some of mine are missing and the rest don't look too healthy either. Chris Neals (Oakmere) just tells me everything is obsolete. Did I read on here somewhere that someone had installed a different system that was  a lot better? Or at least an alternative? Cheers.

Try LotusBits

Hi Paul Thanks for the thought. I have contacted Lotusbits. Just waiting for them to get back to me. Cheers.

23 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Just rebuilt the door locks on an S1 and they are a bloody pain to do. I salvaged some of a scrap car which were fairly good. May have a few left, how many do you need. I think there are either 4 or 5 to a door.

Hi John thanks for replying. I need No's 9, 11 and 12  plus 16 (at the bottom of 9). They are handed arn't they so I need the offside ones. Or any that I could convert. If you can help many thanks. Many thanks anyway!

door rods.png

I may have some of these. Lotus dumped this method of connection as it was so difficult to adjust in favor of threaded ends. I have no idea which side they would be from. I'll rummage around the shed at the weekend. :) 

1 minute ago, TAR said:

I may have some of these. Lotus dumped this method of connection as it was so difficult to adjust in favor of threaded ends. I have no idea which side they would be from. I'll rummage around the shed at the weekend. :) 

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

The clips, item 16 are available - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ036U0001.htm

Right-hand door release rod is also available (think this might be no 11) - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B079U4188F.htm

not sure if these help? :) 

I will have a dig through and see whats left over.

Hi Lez, with outer handles from TR7/Marina and inners from MGB, it might be worth asking Rimmer brothers to send you a parts catalogue. I'd guess Lotus would have preferred to use something already available at the time rather than manufacture themselves. TR7 Below looks close

GRID006264.jpg.55276cc3e33b52b31615d6726e1ee12d.jpg

• Like 1

Lock mechanism is different but other parts may be able to be modified to fit.

3 hours ago, TAR said:

The clips, item 16 are available - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ036U0001.htm

Right-hand door release rod is also available (think this might be no 11) - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B079U4188F.htm

not sure if these help? :) 

I tried keying in "rod" on SJ's website but the only thing that came up was the clip. Even when I tried again after looking at your link to the rod  it didn't show anything.  Strange. I'll phone Steve up and see what he says.

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

Hi Lez, with outer handles from TR7/Marina and inners from MGB, it might be worth asking Rimmer brothers to send you a parts catalogue. I'd guess Lotus would have preferred to use something already available at the time rather than manufacture themselves. TR7 Below looks close

GRID006264.jpg.55276cc3e33b52b31615d6726e1ee12d.jpg

Hi Steve, As John says, the mechanism is different but Ill have a look at Rimmers and see what they have got. Many thanks.