free hit
counters
door lock rods - Esprit, Eclat Elite etc - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

door lock rods - Esprit, Eclat Elite etc

Recommended Posts

Anybody know where you can source the door lock rods, clips, grommits etc for the early Esprits / Eclats etc? Some of mine are missing and the rest don't look too healthy either. Chris Neals (Oakmere) just tells me everything is obsolete. Did I read on here somewhere that someone had installed a different system that was  a lot better? Or at least an alternative? Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just rebuilt the door locks on an S1 and they are a bloody pain to do. I salvaged some of a scrap car which were fairly good. May have a few left, how many do you need. I think there are either 4 or 5 to a door.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Anybody know where you can source the door lock rods, clips, grommits etc for the early Esprits / Eclats etc? Some of mine are missing and the rest don't look too healthy either. Chris Neals (Oakmere) just tells me everything is obsolete. Did I read on here somewhere that someone had installed a different system that was  a lot better? Or at least an alternative? Cheers.

Try LotusBits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Paul Thanks for the thought. I have contacted Lotusbits. Just waiting for them to get back to me. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Just rebuilt the door locks on an S1 and they are a bloody pain to do. I salvaged some of a scrap car which were fairly good. May have a few left, how many do you need. I think there are either 4 or 5 to a door.

 

Hi John thanks for replying. I need No's 9, 11 and 12  plus 16 (at the bottom of 9). They are handed arn't they so I need the offside ones. Or any that I could convert. If you can help many thanks. Many thanks anyway!

door rods.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have some of these. Lotus dumped this method of connection as it was so difficult to adjust in favor of threaded ends. I have no idea which side they would be from. I'll rummage around the shed at the weekend. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TAR said:

I may have some of these. Lotus dumped this method of connection as it was so difficult to adjust in favor of threaded ends. I have no idea which side they would be from. I'll rummage around the shed at the weekend. :) 

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The clips, item 16 are available - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ036U0001.htm

Right-hand door release rod is also available (think this might be no 11) - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B079U4188F.htm

not sure if these help? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have a dig through and see whats left over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lez, with outer handles from TR7/Marina and inners from MGB, it might be worth asking Rimmer brothers to send you a parts catalogue. I'd guess Lotus would have preferred to use something already available at the time rather than manufacture themselves. TR7 Below looks close

GRID006264.jpg.55276cc3e33b52b31615d6726e1ee12d.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lock mechanism is different but other parts may be able to be modified to fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TAR said:

The clips, item 16 are available - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ036U0001.htm

Right-hand door release rod is also available (think this might be no 11) - https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B079U4188F.htm

not sure if these help? :) 

I tried keying in "rod" on SJ's website but the only thing that came up was the clip. Even when I tried again after looking at your link to the rod  it didn't show anything.  Strange. I'll phone Steve up and see what he says.

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

Hi Lez, with outer handles from TR7/Marina and inners from MGB, it might be worth asking Rimmer brothers to send you a parts catalogue. I'd guess Lotus would have preferred to use something already available at the time rather than manufacture themselves. TR7 Below looks close

GRID006264.jpg.55276cc3e33b52b31615d6726e1ee12d.jpg

Hi Steve, As John says, the mechanism is different but Ill have a look at Rimmers and see what they have got. Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×