free hit
counters
Exige V6 Catalyst Options - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PhilT

Exige V6 Catalyst Options

Lets say (hypothetically of course) that you suffered an OEM catalyst failure and have the Lotus Sport exhaust silencer - what's the options in terms of a cost effective and more importantly noise neutral, replacement?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As each of both OEM manifolds has a built-in cat, would "your friend" then hypothetically speaking continue to run those OEM manifolds with the blown out cat(s)?  If so, the only option IMO would be to remove the downpipe (the section between the manifolds and your hypothetical Lotus Sport backbox) and weld in between a 200 or 400 cell (regarding the noise remark) sport cat and weld in two post cat O2 dongs.

Your friend then must relocate both post cat O2 sensors after the sport cat.  A bit the same as this thing, but then retaining the OEM connections to the OEM manifolds and OEM back box/Lotus Sport back box.

https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/lotus/exige-s-v6/larini-sports-exhaust-catalyst-larini-manifolds

Or, hypothetically speaking, I would get the 2bular/KT/whatever manifolds and I would make your friend a good price for my OEM manifolds with built-in cats!!

Now, what happened?

Edited by Kristof Thys
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kristof Thys said:

Your friend then must relocate both post cat O2 sensors after the sport cat.  A bit the same as this thing, but then customized to fit the OEM manifolds and OEM back box/Lotus Sport back box.

https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/lotus/exige-s-v6/larini-sports-exhaust-catalyst-larini-manifolds

I have a full Larini system with cat bye pass  (preloved ) that the cat in the linc above would fit....bought it as part of a package deal from someone (I wanted some wheels and carbon bits he had)

Happy to shift it on if it helps?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I have a full Larini system with cat bye pass  (preloved ) that the cat in the linc above would fit....bought it as part of a package deal from someone (I wanted some wheels and carbon bits he had)

Great man math!! 😜

35 minutes ago, Kristof Thys said:

As each of both OEM manifolds has a built-in cat,

Thanks Kristof, some good suggestions there

I believe more information will be forthcoming next week whether its one or both cats

Do you know what dB increase if any there is related to Larinis statement of 'volume increases with revs'

22 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I have a full Larini system with cat bye pass

Thanks Dave but the noise will probably be higher with the full system?

36 minutes ago, Kristof Thys said:

Now, what happened?

A track day at Donington, that's what happened.

26 minutes ago, PhilT said:

Do you know what dB increase if any there is related to Larinis statement of 'volume increases with revs'

This is my friend Dixie's car; Larini manifolds, OEM back box, no cat but with an ADDED small muffler (on the place where you would expect the sports cat; it was just too loud without this small muffler)

Cat will reduce the noise, but not so much as the OEM, albeit very restrictive cats.

Edited by Kristof Thys

Here is an update: there is now, no trace whatsoever of catalyst on either cylinder bank 😵. So, last question:  is the flow through a single 200 cell/inch cat significantly better than the OEM cat which only handles half the gas flow - if you see what I mean?

thanks in advance!

A high flow 200cell cat will always flow better than the OEMs in each manifold for sure.  Not sure on the specifics for the high flow cat wrt MOT (in Belgium at least you need to pass a threshold in CO emissions)

@alias23I have just been informed that as a gesture of good will, Lotus will replace, it seems they do look after their customers  after all and it gives me a chance to save up for an alternative!

• Like 1

Wow, I must say I never expected that. Result.

5 hours ago, PhilT said:

@alias23I have just been informed that as a gesture of good will, Lotus will replace, it seems they do look after their customers  after all and it gives me a chance to save up for an alternative!

Credit where credit is due well done Lotus!