free hit
counters
Diff between a 2013 Elise S and a 2016 Elise Cup 220 - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nathan Pitman

Diff between a 2013 Elise S and a 2016 Elise Cup 220

Ok so I’m a little befuddled by all the Elise variations that appear to have existed over the years.

I’m looking to PX my 2016 Evora 400 for an Elise and there are a few options available to me. 

One is a rather flat looking (but reasonably priced) Elise S (2013), the other is a slightly more expensive but much brighter Elise Cup 220 (2016). 

I’ve driven the Eise S  and feel it’s more than enough to keep me entertained but you know it doesn’t have the curb presence of the Evora 400 or the Cup. 

Beyond the looks what are the differences between these Elise variations? The Evora mode line up is much easier to understand! :D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From memory, engine/transmission the same, suspension a bit stiffer (same as sports pack?), adjustable anti-roll bar (I think?), aero and matt black panels, I think that's it! Oh, and it says CUP on the back :)

I think you've answered your own unspoken question, the S doesn't excite you but the Cup does. Buy the Cup if you can afford it, you will only regret it if you don't and you will get the extra money back anyway when you come to sell it.

You can't beat the looks of a nice bright Elise Cup IMO  :wub:

Thanks @duncx that made things clearer. I eventually managed to find some pages on the Lotus website (which seems rather broken at the moment) which detailed the differences. They should really have pages  covering all historical models for enthusiasts. :)

The corporate website is only interested in selling new models though, hence they remove old stuff sharpish.

As above, largely depends on budget.

I went for a new Sport 220, same engine and now same seats (as the older cup220) to get warranty etc but I do have lightweight forged wheels, 2piece brakes etc that help with weight reduction.

I agree about bright colours tho, a Lotus has to be bright IMO.

@Nathan Pitman

Trying to work out subtle differences is quite difficult. Definitely judge each car on its individual qualities and spec.  An older garaged car could easily be a better car than a ragged new one that’s got scuffs all over the seals, swirl marks, tracked to death and been flipped! 

Having driven a newer 220, I’d spend the extra if you can. The transmission (only real downer) is way better that previous models. It’s direct and finally sorted in the S3.

This link doesn’t answer everything but is useful.

https://wiki.the playground.org/a/Elise_model_history#Elise_Sport

Thanks @auRouge - I prob should have posted back here but I opted for the Cup 220 in the end. :)

Edited by Nathan Pitman
  • Like 1