free hit
counters
Any experience with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on the Esprit? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jacques

Any experience with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on the Esprit?

As the title says, I'd like to hear from anyone having had these tires installed on a Lotus Esprit. Before i order them, it would be good to hear actual facts and experiences about these tires.

I will be using big sizes as in 235/40-17 N4 front and 315/30-18 N4 rear on Wheels appropriate for these.

Anyone?

Kind regards,

jacques

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That’s exactly what I used on my S4S before, no more spinning the rear tires at 2nd gear when the the boost is built up by the T3/T4. Now I go with 245/40R17 and 335/30R18 of Pzero, but PS2 do have more grip and quieter than Pzero, but I think  driving with the original size of 285/35r18 is more fun than those wide tires.

I wouldn't go to 245 front and 335 rear, at least not the later. The 235 and the 315 will sit on my rebuilt Futura Wheels, where the front is 8,5" and the rear is 10,5". I have no rubbing. It just runs smooth and nicely. Loads better roadholding compared to the original SE Wheels with fresh tires. Never really liked the original SE tires as they are too high in profile, and a bit wobly or less surefooted, hence the V8 AWI Monobloc's I have been using for the last 5 years.

The 315/30-18 have the correct size compared to 245/50-16, and the 285/35-18.

So, do you mean that the driving got worse with the 235 and 315 compared to 235 and 285? Or was that with regards to the 245 and 335 tires?

Kind regards,

Jacques

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

I wouldn't go to 245 front and 335 rear, at least not the later. The 235 and the 315 will sit on my rebuilt Futura Wheels, where the front is 8,5" and the rear is 10,5". I have no rubbing. It just runs smooth and nicely. Loads better roadholding compared to the original SE Wheels with fresh tires. Never really liked the original SE tires as they are too high in profile, and a bit wobly or less surefooted, hence the V8 AWI Monobloc's I have been using for the last 5 years.

The 315/30-18 have the correct size compared to 245/50-16, and the 285/35-18.

So, do you mean that the driving got worse with the 235 and 315 compared to 235 and 285? Or was that with regards to the 245 and 335 tires?

Kind regards,

Jacques

If you add 0.5J to the outer lip of oz futura for 315, the tire will stick out of the car body without S4S/V8 wheel arches(but If you have S300 arch, you even can add 0.75J).  Without the wheel arches, it is better to add the extra 0.5J(I recommend to add 1J) to the inner barrel of the oz futura and10.5J seems too narrow for  315 of PS2.

both 315 and 335 are worst than 285 for driving, maybe it is just for good-looking. 

The pictures show 315 PS2 tire on 10.75J (added 0.75J outer lip) at stock height ride

image2.png

image1.png

Hmm, I Wonder why Lotus did these Wheel sizes, though, albeit in 16" and 17", but with higher side walls (profile).

When they did the Sport300, I suppose they did all they could to optimise the car and give it even more sporty driving abilities in total.

I have notoced that some tire brands recommens using Wheels between 10,5" to 11,5" for the 315/30-18 tire. The 10,5" is a bit on the slim side. We'll see.

I don't know if the Sport300 rear Wheel Arches can cover the 11" rear Wheel (extended outer lip only)?

Anyway, I am slowly working my way through a pile of Sport300 parts and mods, to get as close as possible. And then some.

Your Wheels look very good. Is that wider outer lips in aluminium?

And could you possibly post a couple of shots from the side and one from the rear (to see the Whole car from behind,)?

Kind regards,

Jacques

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

Hmm, I Wonder why Lotus did these Wheel sizes, though, albeit in 16" and 17", but with higher side walls (profile).

When they did the Sport300, I suppose they did all they could to optimise the car and give it even more sporty driving abilities in total.

I have notoced that some tire brands recommens using Wheels between 10,5" to 11,5" for the 315/30-18 tire. The 10,5" is a bit on the slim side. We'll see.

I don't know if the Sport300 rear Wheel Arches can cover the 11" rear Wheel (extended outer lip only)?

Anyway, I am slowly working my way through a pile of Sport300 parts and mods, to get as close as possible. And then some.

Your Wheels look very good. Is that wider outer lips in aluminium?

And could you possibly post a couple of shots from the side and one from the rear (to see the Whole car from behind,)?

Kind regards,

Jacques

I add 0.75J to the outer lip(aluminium) to fit 315 and then add another 1.25J to the inner barrel to fit 335. Pls see the pics of 315 at stock ride height and 335 at lower ride height from the rear.

B1EAF54C-DA58-4324-818B-9393C3413ED3.jpeg

1BA08D67-2AAD-4E7A-B847-D71E8EFCE3C1.jpeg

C94C8F35-F2E9-477C-AD16-5643481CAA88.jpeg

390A6086-8BCB-419E-AB81-C4A926ABF215.jpeg

Nice pics!

Pretty serious to look at. How is cornering grip?

And did you notice excessice bearing Wear?

I suppose you long ago installed afjustable upper rear arms, if they weren't there already?

Kind regards,

jacques

15 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Nice pics!

Pretty serious to look at. How is cornering grip?

And did you notice excessice bearing Wear?

I suppose you long ago installed afjustable upper rear arms, if they weren't there already?

Kind regards,

jacques

I didn’t notice any excessive bearing wear yet as I only drove it for less than 20 miles. I do notice it has almost no oversteering when cornering..those tires are too wide for the power of S4S...and the adjustment upper rear arm is standard on S4S....

Thanks Pan. I have a stable repeatable 330 Hp at 6194rpm and 415Nm at 4425rpm very conservatively measured and a nice cool chargecooler at all times.

I think I go for the 315/30-18 on the 10,5" rear Wheels. That would be 2,75" extended to 3,25" outer lip.

I think you're right, the other solution is too much. Reminds me of the LP5000s.

Another thing: how is the outer aluminium lips performing with regards to not corroding? How do you keep them nice? (thinking about radinox too)?

Kind regards,

Jacques

18 hours ago, Jacques said:

Thanks Pan. I have a stable repeatable 330 Hp at 6194rpm and 415Nm at 4425rpm very conservatively measured and a nice cool chargecooler at all times.

I think I go for the 315/30-18 on the 10,5" rear Wheels. That would be 2,75" extended to 3,25" outer lip.

I think you're right, the other solution is too much. Reminds me of the LP5000s.

Another thing: how is the outer aluminium lips performing with regards to not corroding? How do you keep them nice? (thinking about radinox too)?

Kind regards,

Jacques

I am afraid of the radinox being so strong that it will damage the wheel face or hub when it takes a hit. And I don’t see any big diffference of weight between Aluminium and Radinox.

I am 100% sure that the outer lip of rear wheel is 2.5J, not 2.75J, (I measured the stock one and the 3.25J one that I bought, there was 0.75J difference).  Extending to 3.25J for 315 is fine for S300 wheel arch.