free hit
counters
Anyone pained transom black - what did it cost? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gordon S

Anyone pained transom black - what did it cost?

All

I’ve just had a quote of £1,000 plus VAT to paint the rear transom of my Exige satin black. It’s a top quality coach works but that seems ridiculously expensive to me. What have others paid to have this done?

Thanks

Gordon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Bibs,

I’m confused (which doesn’t take much....). I started that thread but it doesn’t discuss quotes for paint. 

I’ve checked out the possibility of getting it wrapped but the one place I’ve spoken reckoned it would look fine when done but wouldn’t last well. 

17 minutes ago, Gordon S said:

Hi Bibs,

I’m confused (which doesn’t take much....). I started that thread but it doesn’t discuss quotes for paint. 

I’ve checked out the possibility of getting it wrapped but the one place I’ve spoken reckoned it would look fine when done but wouldn’t last well. 

why did he say it wouldn't last? a good wrap should last years on the rear transom. I had my front bumper of my SUV plastidipped and it;s been 3 years and it still looks like i just got it done. The front bumper is a lot more aggressive a spot compared to the rear transom and a wrap lasts more than a plastidip so i'd recommend u wrap over paint.

my cup has a wrap on the rear transom from the factory.

1 hour ago, mark248am said:

why did he say it wouldn't last? a good wrap should last years on the rear transom. I had my front bumper of my SUV plastidipped and it;s been 3 years and it still looks like i just got it done. The front bumper is a lot more aggressive a spot compared to the rear transom and a wrap lasts more than a plastidip so i'd recommend u wrap over paint.

my cup has a wrap on the rear transom from the factory.

It's painted from factory, using the following paint mask to demarcate the area. However, I do agree with your comments on longevity of a wrap.

https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=1&MDL=42&TBL=11559&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=681821

20 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

It's painted from factory, using the following paint mask to demarcate the area. However, I do agree with your comments on longevity of a wrap.

https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=1&MDL=42&TBL=11559&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=681821

oh interesting, my film protection guy said it was a wrap. What is the description for 8a, i can't find it

The concern the wrap guy had was around the depth of the space around the lights and a couple of corners further down. He thought that wrap could be made to fit but it would be a stretch and might not last the way that paint would. 

19 hours ago, mark248am said:

oh interesting, my film protection guy said it was a wrap. What is the description for 8a, i can't find it

Hi Mark, this should be 'Paint Mask Front Clam', as per the equivalent part number 8 on the V6 Cup diagram.