free hit
counters
Exige IPS - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all, 

I have an Evora S at the moment, whilst I adore the car, after having it for a bit, I do miss not having a convertible as a weekend car, so I'm thinking to change up to an Exige Roadster, 

I'm tempted to go and see this IPS one, the garage are quite close to me, and have met the chap at shelsley Walsh before - https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-s-premium-roadster-4-500-miles-full-lotus-history-demo-plus-1-owner-a-sort-after-private-plate-included/8963710

Love the silver with the red leather, 

I was wondering how owners who have one find the IPS system? as I can't seem to find many videos with the shift speeds, I did read  that there can be a bit of a delay from the click of the paddle to the gear change on the up shift, 

Regards

James. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had a test drive of the very similar silver one for sale at Central Lotus. It was very nice and smooth in full auto mode, still obviously a slush box but quite a snappy change, great for town use. Using the paddles was less impressive, as you say quite a delay on shifting up, althouogh not bad on shifting down and accompanied by a nice little blip of the throttle when in Sport mode. Not for everyone and this is reflected in prices - I would want quite a bit off either of those two silver cars, especially at this time of year. A couple of small advantages - the auto is actually quicker to 60 than the manual and the VED is over £200 cheaper :)

BTW I thought the silver paintwork (on the one at Central) really suited the roadster, it looked great.

Edited by duncx

17 minutes ago, duncx said:

I had a test drive of the very similar silver one for sale at Central Lotus. It was very nice and smooth in full auto mode, still obviously a slush box but quite a snappy change, great for town use. Using the paddles was less impressive, as you say quite a delay on shifting up, althouogh not bad on shifting down and accompanied by a nice little blip of the throttle when in Sport mode. Not for everyone and this is reflected in prices - I would want quite a bit off either of those two silver cars, especially at this time of year. A couple of small advantages - the auto is actually quicker to 60 than the manual and the VED is over £200 cheaper :)

BTW I thought the silver paintwork (on the one at Central) really suited the roadster, it looked great.

Many thanks :) Doesn't sound too bad that then, I may find it changes up quicker than I can with the Evora.. It will be nice to have the blip as well! 

Thats a bonus with the 0-60 time and cheaper VED too! 

I do like the Silver, I did wonder if it was too tame for the car, but it does look smart, the other one I like the look of is the yellow one in Shrewsbury, 

One other question too, is the Exiges exhaust system slightly louder than the Evora S's in Sport mode, watching videos it does seem to be louder, or could be my imagination 

James. 

To be clear, the change itself is quite quick - it's the delay between flipping the paddle and the change actually starting that's slightly annoying and not really ideal for sporty driving. Of course, if you are not using the paddles (in full auto mode) then there is no problem. Don't get too excited about the quicker 0-60, I think it's about 0.1s :lol: 

I don't know about the Evora Vs Exige exhaust but on the one I tested it did have the 'loud' button switch (exhaust flap open) which is nice :)

Edited by duncx
  • Thanks 1

From memory the speed from pull of paddle to gear change is 1.7 seconds vs 0.7 secs in the 400 auto. 

Dislike IPS for that very reason, but love the 400 auto gear change.  Just wish they would make the gearbox mapping changes to put it in the Exige. 

• Thanks 1

I had a 2016 V6S which I tracked and in Sport or Race mode and paddle shift, it performed very well, 

As all ready mentioned the correlation with pulling the paddle and it changing gear is not immediate but you drive to accommodate thiswith no adverse effect. Just change a second earlier!!

For me the gear changes were quicker than I could manually do up the box and the blip on down shifts was very good. It also has an Oil Cooler which manuals did not

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DJW said:

0.7 secs in the 400 auto

It's 0.4 seconds in the 400 Auto. Was 1.4 in the previous Evora IPS. 

My review of the Exige Auto is here...

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-exige-s-automatic/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks the replies all :) 

All Booked into see the car next Monday now! Looking forward to it, They’re going to see the Evora as well, 

James 

8 minutes ago, Bibs said:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-exige-s-automatic/

Thanks Bibs, will have a read :) 

42 minutes ago, Bibs said:

At least I got the 1 sec delta right 😀

• Like 1

I have posted many videos with IPS usage on track. For me the IPS is a limitating factor on track.

For road usage the IPS is reallly good. If someone tells me that he wants something more performant on open roads I will say that the guy wants to go to jail or die. 😋😅

• Like 2

On 01/11/2018 at 20:34, geartox said:

I have posted many videos with IPS usage on track. For me the IPS is a limitating factor on track.

For road usage the IPS is reallly good. If someone tells me that he wants something more performant on open roads I will say that the guy wants to go to jail or die. 😋😅

Do you have any links to the videos?

1 hour ago, WayneG said:

If you are thinking of buying one this might be useful.......

On 06/12/2018 at 21:55, WayneG said:

PM