free hit
counters
LOTUS GS EUROPA any info - Europa - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steve V8

LOTUS GS EUROPA any info

I recall as a very young car enthusiast, visiting on a few occasions, a tiny Lotus garage at Warmley on the outskirts of Bristol called GS cars. Who with the approval of Colin Chapman rebodied the Europa with a sleek new design designated the Lotus GS Europa.

Having looked through the forum, I can't find any reference to the model, so Googled and found these photos.

rare-lotus-gs-europa-offered-by-h-amp-h-5429_14881_969X727.jpg.12d109c2af39217e8ee6b10dddc42b43.jpg

The accompanying text states that 17 GS Europa were built, but only 5 still exist, making this a very rare car, I'd be interested if anyone has further info on what was quite a stunning car of its day.

rare-lotus-gs-europa-offered-by-h-amp-h-5429_14880_969X727.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There have been a few articles in old Club Lotus magazines over the years. Not certain but I think Malcom Ricketts (and his son?) owned/owns one.

• Like 1

Definitely seen one at Malcolm Rickett’s gaff. From 2016  - 

CEA37963-FE5B-4A47-8EE1-A044EFB0C857.jpeg

• Like 1

Allegedly designed by William Towns, definitely got a bit of Merak and Tasmin about it.

• Like 1

Looks the same as the one Banks Europa restored around the same time as my Twin Cam, which would be 1991 - 93 approx. Same colour and the registration looks familiar, although all the GS cars could have similar reg nos if done by GS?? I don't think it belonged to Mr Ricketts at that time however.

Not as nice as the Europa imo,  nice design though, just does not float my boat like the factory body :)

4 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Not as nice as the Europa imo,  nice design though, just does not float my boat like the factory body :)

I have to say those "bars" at the rear are the worse design I think I've ever seen I'm afraid. :thumbdown: