free hit
counters
Why Lotus why... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So wake up very excited as I'm having tiles delivered for my garage conversion. Rubber mallet at the ready I meet the delivery man, and try to open to lotus to reverse out of the garage

Dead

No problem I'll just unlock the door and charge battery. 

Barrel won't turn at all - how is this connected to the central locking?

So now have a load of tiles sitting outside my garage and a dead lotus. 

How the hell to I get to the battery when I can't get in the car?

Any help massively appreciate

(Mike sitting on a pallet of tiles)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

take off the front cover and you will see a "battery" post. Also look in your manual that came with the car.

cheers

Hi Mike.

Pop the front service hatch (latch in the middle as base of wiper arm), and connect charger or boost pack to jump terminals on LH side of car under service panel to unlock the car.

If you want to start it on the boost pack, I would recommend connecting directly to the battery, rather than via the terminals in the front.

Dave

Thanks so much guys! 

I couldn't find the manual this morning and panicked. Charging nicely now and should be able to get on with the garage tomorrow

Annoyingly I had left my wifi dongle connected and it's drained the battery

Many thanks

Mike

wait so if my boost pack is in the trunk and the battery dies, i can't get into my trunk to get my boost pack??

Correct!  If you have locked it on the central locking.  As Mike found, the barrels in the door locks are not connected to central locking, so if you lock it this way (not alarmed), you can get in.

• Like 1

And the 4mm Allen key needed for the front panel (on the Elise) is store in the boot.

So, in order to get to the boost pegs, you need to get into the boot.. the only way into the boot is via the cabin.. which if you've used central locking... is not possible :lol:

Which is why, in the manual, Lotus suggest using manual locking (and no alarm) if leaving the car for 10days or more.

15 hours ago, CocoPops said:

...Which is why, in the manual, Lotus suggest using manual locking (and no alarm) if leaving the car for 10days or more.

Which is exactly the extended time away that might then have it stolen!! 😳

The immobiliser will still be active to be fair, you can't disable that so at least it can't be driven away. 

So, if your battery goes flat and you can't access the boost posts or the battery, how exactly do you get the car open?

On an Elise you need a 4mm allen key to open the service hatch, then you can get the posts (as said above and I think in the handbook, best not to boost start the car from the posts, just use them to get to the battery).

Dave

And for those with an Elise - having previously experienced this conundrum - will find that keeping one of those nattly little allen keys, with keyring attachment, to be a perfect solution to facilitate “unexpected” access via the service panel.

There’s a solution to most things🙂