free hit
counters
'81 dry sump distributor help please - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Steve4012

'81 dry sump distributor help please

Hi all, 

I think I've found the cause of poor and inconsistent running with the distributor being the culprit and could do with some advice for repair/ replacement. Using a timing light cylinder 3 spark was intermittent. After removing the distributor cap there was an obvious groove in the cylinder 3 contact in the cap where the rotor arm has worn it down even though the cap and rotor arm were brand new and only used to tune car. Further inspection and there seems to be too much play in the shaft where to rotor arm connects. The question is are the Powerspark 43d distributors on Ebay suitable? (link below) The wiring seems different in the ad as I have the two wires coming from the coil box but it may be a generic photo..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362051947568

Thanks in advance, Steve. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ok so I need a high energy version of the 43d so not the one in the link. Would be interested if others have used either the Powerspark or Accuspark for a Turbo Esprit.

I've just turned up this compamy on an internet search. Maybe you can get parts to rebuild?

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Note, I've never used them!  :) 

Yes definitely worth trying the Dist Doc (Martin Jay). He's helped me with a couple of Lucas issues before - recently successfully matching up a damaged advance spring. He may be able to sort that spindle problem, keeping everything as it should be.

Is the distributor number 41623 by any chance?

Thanks for your replies gents. After spending the last 12 months mechanically restoring my dry sump strictly to original spec, I just fancy going a different route with the powerspark distributor and new matching coil from ebay seller simonbbc who seems to have a good reputation. I like the idea of brand new distributor and coil and eliminating the need for the ab14 amplifier so making things simpler whilst still looking original. @910EspritSteve, I asked about the advance curve, he said it's inline with what's required for today's fuels. We'll soon find out, for £90 all in I'm happy to give it a go and see.

Will report back and would still be interested if any others have gone this route, I can't be the only one?!

@JerrySnot sure what number Jerry, removed distributor today but it's all locked up now, will let you know.

There is a brand, Pertronix or something similar, which offers Lucas distributors with a programmable advance curve by way of an onboard module. Something to consider in maintaining original appearance whilst making use of some very handy technology.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

I like the idea of brand new distributor and coil and eliminating the need for the ab14 amplifier

An 81 dry sump wouldn't have had this as it was for the MY 87 onwards. Lumenition was fitted to dry sump cars.

:) 

8 hours ago, TAR said:

An 81 dry sump wouldn't have had this as it was for the MY 87 onwards. Lumenition was fitted to dry sump cars.

:) 

In the manual it says 1980-early 83 for Lumenition, but you're right Tim, it seems mine should have this but definitely has ab14. Must have been altered at some point but it's all hidden anyway so no big deal if it's more effective. Pic of my current set up. 

20180923_135904.jpg

• Like 1

I have a year ago installed a distributor and coil from 123ignition. Hightech ignition systems don't see any difference in the original one. Very happy with it.

4 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

In the manual it says 1980-early 83 for Lumenition, but you're right Tim, it seems mine should have this but definitely has ab14. Must have been altered at some point but it's all hidden anyway so no big deal if it's more effective. Pic of my current set up. 

20180923_135904.jpg

Yes, my 84 has an AB14, the book is correct

The Lotus distributor is a special one which had a counterbore in the inside of the housing and an oil seal fitted on the shaft. If the distributor does not have this, oil will leak out into the distributor as its mounted horizontally onto the oil pump shaft. There is no other oil seal on that end of the auxiliary shaft.

9 minutes ago, Andyww said:

The Lotus distributor is a special one which had a counterbore in the inside of the housing and an oil seal fitted on the shaft. If the distributor does not have this, oil will leak out into the distributor as its mounted horizontally onto the oil pump shaft. There is no other oil seal on that end of the auxiliary shaft.

You can use an other bigger seal that sit in between the engine block and the distributor. That works fine. I have used that also on the Original one because of leaking.

5 minutes ago, Jeanvm said:

You can use an other bigger seal that sit in between the engine block and the distributor. That works fine. I have used that also on the Original one because of leaking.

That O-ring on the body of the distributor is also needed as it has a different function, this prevents oil coming out of the aux housing where the distributor slides in, but it wont prevent oil going up the shaft into the body of the unit itself.

Do you know the size Andy. I need one of these

4 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Do you know the size Andy. I need one of these

I had a look at my order history on simplybearings.co.uk and I think it must be this one:

12x22x4mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal R21 / SC

Great thank you