free hit
counters
Clutch Slave cylinder & Gear selection - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Clutch Slave cylinder & Gear selection

So I've replaced the clutch Slave on the car after it ceased working entirely. This was with the Sj's shiny replacement part - not the original. The slave cylinder is a different size so ive had to adjust the fork screw(s) to allow for smooth(ish) operation. The gear change is now pretty notchy and obtrusive and I cant get o/d or 5th as modern people call it. reverse however is easy to get. is this crossgate adjustment? should the crossgate connector that attaches to the top op the slave cylinder be shimmed? the new slave cylinder looks to be slightly thinner where the bolts attach to the bellhousing. Is this causing my issue?

Good news is that the car now moves, both backwards and forwards now - just not into 5th! and the gearchange is pretty knarly.

81 Dry Sump turbo BTW

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you could select 5th before the change & all you've done is change the cylinder then the problem must be with the new cylinder.

You say it's a different size, do you mean the bore, because it has to be the same as the old one in order to pass the correct amount of fluid to operate the clutch correctly?

Sounds strange. The 2 systems (clutch and shift) are separate. Unless the clutch doesn’t separate fully, but I’m sure that’s crossed your mind. On my 84 I had to adjust the length of the shift rod that’s attached to the gearbox at the back (side to side motion on the shift lever) a little from time to time. That’s cured any gear select issue. In my case it affected either 1st/2nd gear or od/reverse. The cables may drift a tiny bit. Technically, if you’re able to put it in reverse you should be able to select 5th as well. But again a small length adjustment of the gear link rod might just correct that. I have the same SJ slave in my car as yours, no issue with it apart from some work getting it to seal correctly. Works fine after that. Have a look at that gear link length first and tweak it from there.

On second thought, make sure the clutch hydraulic system is fully bled. 

Best give Sparky a call, he's very knowledgeable in such matters.

Oh, you wag.

Think the clutch and slave are working fine, system bled etc. I think this issue is down to crossgate cable adjustment. When the old slave comes off the set up gets disrupted and the new slave where it connects looks to be slightly thinner. Could be all it takes. I can get all gears except 5th and reverse Is spookily easy 

2 hours ago, hopo said:

I can get all gears except 5th and reverse Is spookily easy 

OK, what about the linkage bushes? They wear easily & can have a marked effect on gear selection. 😕