free hit
counters
Just noticed something odd about my car - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TAR

Just noticed something odd about my car

My 82 Turbo Esprit restoration is currently on hold awaiting a new garage to be built so its been out of my mind for a while.

I was trying to recall what condition my interior clock was in when it occurred to me that I didn't ever remember seeing it in the car. So I had a hunt around my parts until I found the header rail for the front of the car and guess what?  It doesn't have a hole to fit a clock. The header rail is glassfibre and its flat so wouldn't have ever had a clock fitted. Looking at the parts list I see the only one available without a clock was fitted to the Essex cars. I know my car is far to late to be an Essex in disguise but it now raises the question of whether it had a roof stereo originally or it was de-specified so the sunroof could be fitted?

I have an amplifier which was fitted behind the kick plate in the passenger side footwell, I must try and find it (my storage is all over the place) so I can post a picture. The stereo in the car when I got it was a Clarion E980 which I think was launched in 1985, so newer than my car. 

So, should I now start looking for an RM 610?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Tim. My 81 dry sump sounds the same as yours. No clock and an amp behind passenger kick panel. Mine has its original Panasonic stereo so it seems some dry sumps came with our spec and no clock. 

• Like 1

I would think it did have a roof stereo originally.

• Like 1

Any chance of posting up a photo of the passenger footwell area with amp panel @Steve4012.

I'd be interested to see the difference between yours and a non amp TE to ensure we get our carpet sets right.

Steve

Steve,

There is no difference in the main carpet set, the difference is only the foot board. That has carpet glued onto it. It fits into the footwell a few cm  ahead of the bottom of the footwell over the top of the normal carpet set.

20181115_141853[1].jpg

4 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Any chance of posting up a photo of the passenger footwell area with amp panel @Steve4012.

With panel on and off Steve. 

rps20181115_184137.jpg

rps20181115_184219.jpg

Tim

Andy Graham at Lotus  will tell you and I know who might have a radio for sale if required!

Just for the record my dry sump has a roof digital clock

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steve4012 said:

rps20181115_184137.jpg

rps20181115_184219.jpg

@Steve V8 you sure you will  be able to match the quality behind the cover 😂😳

54 minutes ago, Steve4012 said:

rps20181115_184137.jpg

rps20181115_184219.jpg

Thanks Steve, those carpets are very different to those on the S2/S3 and not amplifier footwells of the Turbo Esprit. 

The differences I can see apart from the obvious amp panel, footwell mats are shaped and bound around the extra panel, rubber arch mats look larger than the standard 6" x 9" fitted to all other models, and the return beyond the matt is much bigger.

Thanks for posting this up, it's another question that will need asking when a TE carpet set is ordered.

Steve

34 minutes ago, Dan E said:

@Steve V8 you sure you will  be able to match the quality behind the cover 😂😳

I'll have you know, I pride myself on my work under the covers😀.

• Haha 1

I'll be needing a full set of carpets at some point, unfortunately I have very few bits of carpets left for patterns.

The roof stereo is so cool and if my car originally had one, I'd love to replace it. :) 

8 hours ago, Andyww said:

Steve,

There is no difference in the main carpet set, the difference is only the foot board. That has carpet glued onto it. It fits into the footwell a few cm  ahead of the bottom of the footwell over the top of the normal carpet set.

20181115_141853[1].jpg

Andy, are your carpets the same as other Steve's below? If so.....

One of these sets is not like the other,

One of these sets just doesn't belong,

And so on, and so on.....

Sorry Tim for hijacking your thread, these are the strange things that interest me.

• Like 1

I think I was wrong about the carpets all being the same with or without the foot board. The mat is not the same, the front edge is trimmed to fit the board, sorry about that.

• Like 1