free hit
counters
removing the lower grill covers. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I want to remove the lower front (left and right) grill covers as that area is full of leaves, although there only seems to be one star bolt at the top, removing

that didn't allow the cover to come totally free.  I can see some tabs lower down which give the impression you push inwards at the bottom, but nothing would budge, and as they look

Lotus fibreglass fragile I didn't want to push too hard at this time.

I assume its simple and sorry for being dim, but how do you do it?

Martin S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Martin.

There are two fasteners up into the grille from underneath.  Can't quite remember but you have to remove the splitter to get at them?  Or that might only be on non standard ones...

Just checked in the workshop - standard splitter has access holes for the (Torx) fasteners.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff, thank Dave, would never have thought of looking underneath for extra bolts, had just assumed there were tips that slid into slots kind of set up.

Much appreciated.

Martin

On the later cars , mine is a 2018 there are four torx screws on each grill accesible from the front. However there are plastic retaining washers to keep the screws in place I assume. If you unscrew too much they fall off and drop into the clam. ( After balancing in sight until you touch them. ) You have to take the splitter off to recover them if you want to.

Was cleaning some awful smelling dead stuff off my car for winter. 

An easy, cheap/foolproof method of removing leaves and other debris - without the risk of breaking corroded fixings or brittle plastics - is to invest in a set of “Hartmann Aligator forceps”.  

Look for the longer-length options, 10-12” or longer, easily found on fleabay.  Besides leaf removal, you’ll find litterally dozens of uses for them - including retreival of dropped widgets from confined spaces when “spannering” your Lotus!  

Note, true “aligator” forceps are the variety that only open at the tip - not along the full length of the shaft.  As such, they can be inserted (and operated) through very a confined space/orifice - perfect for reaching unwanted “stuff” through fixed grilles.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2018 at 15:05, MARTIN_S said:

I want to remove the lower front (left and right) grill covers as that area is full of leaves, although there only seems to be one star bolt at the top, removing

that didn't allow the cover to come totally free.  I can see some tabs lower down which give the impression you push inwards at the bottom, but nothing would budge, and as they look

Lotus fibreglass fragile I didn't want to push too hard at this time.

I assume its simple and sorry for being dim, but how do you do it?

Martin S

Hi Martin,

I know I could just get my car up on the ramps and check myself, but did you manage to remove the front grilles by accessing the torx screws as Dave mentioned?  Is on my to-do list for next week.  Thanks!

Edited by Kristof Thys

On 01/12/2018 at 21:32, LotusPilot said:

An easy, cheap/foolproof method of removing leaves and other debris - without the risk of breaking corroded fixings or brittle plastics - is to invest in a set of “Hartmann Aligator forceps”.  

Look for the longer-length options, 10-12” or longer, easily found on fleabay.  Besides leaf removal, you’ll find litterally dozens of uses for them - including retreival of dropped widgets from confined spaces when “spannering” your Lotus!  

Note, true “aligator” forceps are the variety that only open at the tip - not along the full length of the shaft.  As such, they can be inserted (and operated) through very a confined space/orifice - perfect for reaching unwanted “stuff” through fixed grilles.

Jut got some of these delivered today, they’re 11.5” Great Idea! They’ve removed the leaves no problem, I think they’ll come in useful as well. 

That looked like too much hard work for a few leaves and ended up getting a skinny hover end in there.

Martin S