free hit
counters
LED headlights.. - Page 5 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

LED headlights..

21 minutes ago, Paul_D said:

That's a very strange thing to happen. In my head I can't really understand what could possibly cause that. I certainly don't see how the headlamps could affect it. Is it only the left side?

I could try the same on my car for you when I get home, but as I have the GRP lights with ballast resistors my overall circuit load will be slightly different to yours. 

Only happens on the left side, I only noticed it after I installed the LEDs but not sure if it was happening before as well. It is really strange I agree haha! Might make a video and upload to show the peculiar behaviour 😅

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi all, after reading all other posts and comparing to all the lighting options, the LED option is looking promising. I also look into the condensation problem, and I did a little research on the extended rubber cap.

739187289_WeChatScreenshot_20220705135821.png.66c23ba2437ad67c3d2eae30c4da2f23.png

Many of us here chose the 85dia. x 68tall option. After reviewing to the Philips and IPF LED options, I noticed that there are built in fan in the bulb. I wonder if the enclosed cap would cause heating problems? And would anyone choose a rubber cap that has a hole opened at the back like the one above?

506833062_WeChatImage_20220705135737.jpg.c196ed0a25dd0f2501a58d993371760a.jpg

I also looked into the size of the stock halogen lamp and the LED alternatives. Most of them are between 75-85mm tall, which I believe a hole opened in the back would help the heat generated by the LED light. Any thoughts for those who are using the LED now?

Frank

Edited by El-RGB

Haven't had any problems so far and the Philips are the least hot out of all bulbs in a test somewhere online so I don't think it'll be an issue. Better to be warm than soaked with water 😅

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought some of the Phillips LED lights and some rubber boots to cover the larger projections.

Clearly i didnt concentrate and i bought 2 'pairs' of rubber boots rather than 2 'items'.  So if anyone wants a pair let me know and i will post to you in the UK.  I paid approx £11/pair.

I have just installed mine with the Philips pro9005 LED and extended rubber cups. No problem so far with 50% improved lights (no huge improvement but better than halogen for sure). Again, under raining condition, it is the LED weak spot.

The heating is not an issue as I did some research, the oem halogen gets up to 150c degree, and LED tends to be around 120c degree.

Frank

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 14:21, Jcx said:

Why are the LED lights weaker when it is raining? 

From what was read from the previous articles, the high color temperature from LEDs (5500k+) isn't well reflecting the water in raining condition. And the throw from most modified LED in oem reflectors or projectors isn't strong enough to penetrate the obstacles. Thus, LEDs, especially modified ones, aren't ideal under raining condition.

The warmer color temperature and stronger throw HIDs are better under bad weather conditions.

Frank

Edited by El-RGB

ah interesting and good to know.

I fitted mine last night and took it for a test drive.  huge improvement in dry conditions.  although my headlight level test shows they are pointing way down so adjusting that is my next task.

As i understand it they lights should drop around 1.5% over 8m.  As my headlight dip beam measures 620mm off the floor to the centre of the beam they need to measure around 610mm or 98.5% of 620mm when the car is 8m from the measurement wall.  Mine currently measures around 450mm over 8m.

• Gold FFM

@Jcx

It's interesting that the headlights of both of our cars were/are badly aligned and pointing down at the ground.

I wonder how many other cars/people out there are suffering with 'terrible' lights, rather than just 'bad' lights because of how they're aligned?

• Like 1

yes @Paul_D i am surprised.  But when you know that the wheel alignment is done before the car is finished and without wheels on there was little surprise that my alignment needed to be done at PDI.  Perhaps the lights are set before being installed which does not allow for any vagries there.  25% drop or 150mm over 8m or 8000mm is a gradient of 1 in 50 or an angle of 1.15degs. 

That could just be a twitch at fitting. 

Easily done but huge impact at speed on the road when we want to be looking 100m ahead but our lights stop lighting the road at just 30m ahead!

@Brendoniandid you rebuild the lamps yourself?  V. keen to get mine adjusted now that i do the maths... sounds even worse on paper than it feels on the road - and that is bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous video!  even though i have already done mine it was great to watch your video.

Edited by Jcx
  • Like 1