free hit
counters
ICE Upgrade - what have you done? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dan.G

ICE Upgrade - what have you done?

I think we can all agree the sound system in the in the exige is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

What have you done to update your ICE?

I am looking at the Pioneer AVH- Z7000 to bring the head unit up to date with the present day, what have you fitted?

What speakers have you fitted?

Any good deals/installers the community can recommend? Ideally in Norfolk.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interested in your build.

Not seen many folding screen or Halo9 builds.

It's worth noticing that the Pioneer units are resistive touch (i.e. single finger presses into the surface slightly, and scrolling/dragging is hard) whereas the Alpine CarPlay units are multi-touch capacitative like a smartphone/tablet screen. Worth trying one of each before committing that much cash.

I'm beginning to consider a solution like the Alpine iLX-F903D, with its 9", non folding but posable screen.

Hadn't considered the alpine unit, thanks. With the nature of the ride in the exige the easier the buttons are to press the easier life will be.

Installed:

z7000

Focal speakers

Kenwood sub

Reverse cam 

Steering column stalk

Shortened indicator stalk to accommodate the flip

See my guide here: 

Edited by MrP_

On 14/11/2018 at 20:59, Dan.G said:

I think we can all agree the sound system in the in the exige is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

What have you done to update your ICE?

I am looking at the Pioneer AVH- Z7000 to bring the head unit up to date with the present day, what have you fitted?

What speakers have you fitted?

Any good deals/installers the community can recommend? Ideally in Norfolk.

Thanks

Dan, have you considered the Joying head unit? A few have done this mod with relatively good feedback. There are a few recent threads on this 

On 16/11/2018 at 17:26, Edinburgh 111s said:

Dan, have you considered the Joying head unit? A few have done this mod with relatively good feedback. There are a few recent threads on this 

Not yet. I was fiddling with the standard kit yesterday. I think the speakers are a priority, they are shocking. Very flat sound with no volume.

57 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

I think the speakers are a priority, they are shocking. Very flat sound with no volume.

These seem well regarded as upgraded speakers...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Access-100AC-Including-Free-Dynamat-Xtreme-Speaker-Pack/163121203848?epid=13002820289&hash=item25fac80a88:g:UZoAAOSwluRbNOxc:rk:16:pf:0

You can form enclosures out of the Dynamat to help the sound, but it will never be an audiophile experience in an Exige.  Some have added subs which help, but it's all added weight that I'd rather live without. Bose noise cancelling earphones will do for me.

41 minutes ago, KennyN said:

These seem well regarded as upgraded speakers...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Access-100AC-Including-Free-Dynamat-Xtreme-Speaker-Pack/163121203848?epid=13002820289&hash=item25fac80a88:g:UZoAAOSwluRbNOxc:rk:16:pf:0

You can form enclosures out of the Dynamat to help the sound, but it will never be an audiophile experience in an Exige.  Some have added subs which help, but it's all added weight that I'd rather live without. Bose noise cancelling earphones will do for me.

4 inch driver needs between .25 and .4cubic ft ish of enclosure, do dynamite baskets make them a bit too small and limit bass, but can push the mids more. The reflections can be contained with done accoustic wading though.

The drivers really need to be 5 inch or above, but if you’re not wanting to add spacers or cut the dash it’s not really practicle.

The worst part is the reflection of higher frequencies off the screen which will always add harshness.

The weight of a sub is around 3kg, I saved around 10-15kg swapping the exhaust for a 2bular. My harness bar weighed more than the sub. For the weight penalty vs sound it’s well worth it.

Of course it all depends your need for music, so what’s worth it for some is not worth it for others

20 hours ago, MrP_ said:

4 inch driver needs between .25 and .4cubic ft ish of enclosure, do dynamite baskets make them a bit too small and limit bass, but can push the mids more. The reflections can be contained with done accoustic wading though.

The drivers really need to be 5 inch or above, but if you’re not wanting to add spacers or cut the dash it’s not really practicle.

The worst part is the reflection of higher frequencies off the screen which will always add harshness.

The weight of a sub is around 3kg, I saved around 10-15kg swapping the exhaust for a 2bular. My harness bar weighed more than the sub. For the weight penalty vs sound it’s well worth it.

Of course it all depends your need for music, so what’s worth it for some is not worth it for others

At the moment, my sounds system is worse than useless, on the m25 it picked up 2 stations.

There is no depth to sound, very little volume.

The engine and exhaust are a great substitute, but, when the valves are closed and cruise control is on, it would be nice to have something to listen to

• Like 1

I got the Bose sound deadening Bluetooth headphones, now perfect!

On a more sensible note, I am with Dan, when cruising along it would be pleasant to have something to listen to

48 minutes ago, Stewie177 said:

I got the Bose sound deadening Bluetooth headphones, now perfect!

On a more sensible note, I am with Dan, when cruising along it would be pleasant to have something to listen to

Stream the music from your phone to your headphones, sorted!  It'll sound better than any ICE install unless you completely redo the interior of your Exige.

I appreciate that an Exige might be a noisy environment but I’m really struggling to understand why you might want to drive on public roads with ‘sound deadening headphones’ on.

That is equivalent to removing one of your senses from your warning mechanisms. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

I appreciate that an Exige might be a noisy environment but I’m really struggling to understand why you might want to drive on public roads with ‘sound deadening headphones’ on.

If you are driving with the due care and attention that the law demands, I fail to see that it is a big issue, after all, people with impaired hearing can drive perfectly legally and well.  As do competitors on rallies when travelling on the road between stages.

I do not wear noise cancelling headphones routinely, but I have done when it has been necessary to use the Exige on extended motorway journeys.  If anything, I felt less fatigued by being shielded from the constant din, which can only help road safety.

13 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Agree with that, driving or riding with earphones is one thing, noise cancelling (passive or active) just doesn’t feel safe. But then again being deaf is no reason not to drive...

Adding a sub, ditching the clarion headunit makes a colossal difference.

10 minutes ago, KennyN said:

As do competitors on rallies when travelling on the road between stages

My intercom was certainly not noise cancelling, light attenuation only! I used ear plugs for intercom but there was a certain amount of noise that came in, as driving fully insulated felt too detached, hence not being able to understand why people use noice cancelling on a car or bike.

But as always it’s what people feel comfortable with

On 04/12/2018 at 19:20, Dan.G said:

At the moment, my sounds system is worse than useless, on the m25 it picked up 2 stations.

There is no depth to sound, very little volume.

The engine and exhaust are a great substitute, but, when the valves are closed and cruise control is on, it would be nice to have something to listen to

That’s a crap tuner then, or disconnected aerial. 

Standard arial on mine, with dab splitter I get pages of DAB stations, in my garage with the door closed. I took the standard one out as soon as I got him, so presume the clarion has a crap tuner!

13 hours ago, KennyN said:

If you are driving with the due care and attention that the law demands...

You might well be but that doesn’t account for all of the eejits that you’ve got to share the road with. Including those who might be approaching from an angle that you can’t see. 

39 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

You might well be but that doesn’t account for all of the eejits that you’ve got to share the road with. Including those who might be approaching from an angle that you can’t see. 

Very true, there's never any shortage of eejits!  Although, I'm unlikely to see them any better, with or without earphones.  With the racket in the Exige when on the move and the less than brilliant rear visibility, the first sound I'm likely to hear is a screech before a crunch.

That’s my point. If you can’t see them, you might be able to hear them (and avoid them accordingly). If you remove your ability to hear (via noise cancelling headphones with music on), then you take that option away from yourself. 

Still, it’s your choice etc etc. 

I drive with my electronic ear muffs I use for shooting. Blocks all the wind noise, but amplifies other noises too when I want to. Rain was so loud because of it that I couldn't hear my music despite being much louder. 

Sounds dumb but the hearing damage comes from wind noise and prolonged exposure to loud noises.

With them turned off its like putting your hands over your ears, muffled but still loud enough.  Takes the edge off and protects your ears, without making you oblivious to noise. If I really concentrate I can hear the indicators at junctions etc but I'd rather just turn the headphones on/up 

Edit : the wind noise is mostly from a misalignment with the roof/window/seals. Dealer sorting it on the 17th hopefully

On 08/12/2018 at 20:32, KennyN said:

If you are driving with the due care and attention that the law demands, I fail to see that it is a big issue, after all, people with impaired hearing can drive perfectly legally and well.  As do competitors on rallies when travelling on the road between stages.

I do not wear noise cancelling headphones routinely, but I have done when it has been necessary to use the Exige on extended motorway journeys.  If anything, I felt less fatigued by being shielded from the constant din, which can only help road safety.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/what-law-says-driving-headphones-1062696

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, pete said:

I think this could run and run! Some like headphones, I personally wouldn't do it as I feel way too insulated. But I think we could debate that forever. There is no specific law against headphones, but driving without DC+A would be possible and has been done. For those saying its the same as loud music, that would be true without passive or active noise cancellation, the entire point of those is acoustic insulation.

ANYWAY - I'm going to play around with the sub to see where the best location is, probably going to get another one to compare the pioneer/kenwood/alpine offerings. Its the best bang for your back in improving the sound, but still fancy playing over Christmas sometime to see if I can share any shortcuts.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pete said:

ttps://www.essexlive.news/news/what-law-says-driving-headphones-1062696

So, wearing headphones falls into the same bracket as taking a sip of water, having music on too loud, talking to passengers, or messing with the heater controls...all of which could be an offence based on a coppers conjecture.  I agree it's not ideal, but neither is arriving at your destination with a banging headache.  I'm sure there's someone out there that has never done any of the above and NEVER exceeds the speed limit, a nun possibly 😉

Or Bibs😀

• Haha 2