free hit
counters
Fitted 235/35/19 & 275/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LotusLeftLotusRight

Fitted 235/35/19 & 275/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

The OEM Pirelli P-Zero Corsa Assimetrico 275mm rear tyres on my GTE were shot after 5000 miles, due to severe inner wear caused by the negative camber. The fronts were still OK. The only place I could get two replacement rears in this exact tyre was Lotus Silverstone (ex Lotus factory stock), but they would be 940 quid fitted, which is a lot of money for two tyres with such a short lifespan. They also offered a pair of longer-lasting rear Evora 400 specific Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but they would be in the wider than OEM 285mm size and cost 920 quid fitted.

Following kind advice on here from our resident "Michelin Man" Baptiste, I plumped for a full set of four Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the correct OEM sizes all round (235/35/19 front & 275/30/20 rear). These should be an excellent compromise of high performance and longevity. I do not do track days. Having shopped around, I found that my local independent tyre fitter could source and fit all four corners next day for 870 quid, so that's what I've done. Still a big outlay in the run-up to Christmas, but at least I have all four tyres fitted for significantly less money than the two rears only quoted above.

By the way, if you are also looking at MPS4S, please ensure you do not buy any of the available marque specific versions (eg. BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.). Those variants have been developed for front-engined cars, so would not be suitable for an Evora.

• Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

By the way, if you are also looking at MPS4S, please ensure you do not buy any of the available marque specific versions (eg. BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.). Those variants have been developed for front-engined cars, so would not be suitable for an Evora.

How would you identify this pre-purchase?  I'm guessing some markings on the tyre or a difference in product code?

Do you have more information on what the design / handling characteristic differences are?  is it a compound change?  I find things like this make tyre selection so confusing - in my mind if you're buying an MPS4S it should be the same tyre regardless, if Marques do something different it should have a different name!

I was quoted £658 for a set of 4 MPS4S from Kwik-Fit (I run 18" / 19" OEM wheels on my Evora) which I thought was a good price but now I guess I should be asking more questions about what tyre it is I'd be buying!

Yes it's mega confusing. I had to check the tyre fitter's computer before he placed the order with his supplier to make sure we got the right ones. The marque specific ones have additional coding after the tyre size such as MO for Mercedes. The ones to get are XL TL like these 20" ones:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s343p145811/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4S_PS4S_-_275_30_R20_(97Y)_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

In comparison the same size Mercedes specific MO ones are these:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s9270p145821/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4S_PS4S_-_275_30_R20_(97Y)_XL_(MO)_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_71dB

I haven't checked out the 18" and 19" sizes.

As for the technical stuff,  you'll have to contact Baptiste (rallyesax)

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure there is such a difference between MO or BMW or Porsche tyres of the same type.  It's usually a homologation issue, ie. "At the time of a car being released the manufacturer has tested that car on these particular tyres and recommends them so that the car will meet its stated specs"

I'd be interested to know what actual differences exist.

I found that the BMW version of the MPSS was softer than the "standard" MPSS.

It seems to be a dark art. Evora 18/19 inch oe spec tyres are MO front and MO1 rear. So hopefully no-one has fitted anything else and ended up in a ditch.

The rest of the range seemed to have OE tyres dependent on year of manufacture, so hopefully everyone is finding those tyres still in production with the correct LS or MO or XL designation. 😉

4 hours ago, Bruss said:

I'm not sure there is such a difference between MO or BMW or Porsche tyres of the same type.  It's usually a homologation issue, ie. "At the time of a car being released the manufacturer has tested that car on these particular tyres and recommends them so that the car will meet its stated specs"

I'd be interested to know what actual differences exist.

@rallyesax is the man who can tell you. 

Thanks for your feedback, @rallyesax. That is an amazing insight for us. 

Out of interest, is there a particular combination of PS4S variants that are best suited for the Evora?

• Like 1

One other to check before purchase is the place of manufacture.  In Australia I have been told the best Michelins are made in France, as some of them are manufactured in Malaysia (I think).  When fitting PS4S to my wife's car some time ago, I ended up with two manufactured in France and two in the US. All of the PS4S on my Evora were made in France.

Tyre age is also extremely important (stamped on the sidewall).  The fronts recently supplied for my car were made in 2018, rears towards the start of 2016, so I rejected them - Not paying good money for almost 3 year old tyres.

The wider and bigger sizes of the PS4S  tend to be made in the US 

It was the opposite actually - The 235/35/19 on my wife's car were half US and half France.  The bigger 275/30/20s on my Evora were France. Don't know if there is a quality difference between the US and French Michelins.

My 235/19 were France and 305/19 were US

18 hours ago, CocoPops said:

I found that the BMW version of the MPSS was softer than the "standard" MPSS.

How many sets of tyres did you get through?!

14 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

How many sets of tyres did you get through?!

lol

I had a puncture in one of the rears after just a couple of thousand miles... which I could then only get a BMW MPSS... it wore MUCH quicker than the other side that remained an OEM PS4.

I didn't want to puncture repair a tyre that I would then use for trackdays. Not worth the risk. (Hence offering you the "good" one that I kept as a spare).

I then replaced all four with the MPS4S tyres you have now :)

6 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

305??!? 😳

997 GT3 

Ah. That makes sense. 

22 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Thanks for your feedback, @rallyesax. That is an amazing insight for us. 

Out of interest, is there a particular combination of PS4S variants that are best suited for the Evora?

You're welcome 😉

Actually my 400 has only be running on PSS sets for now 😄

If I have the chance to test a bunch of PS4S in different OE specs on my car, I'll tell you. But I don't think my company is willing to give me 20 tyres for private investigations 😂

Concerning Michelin tyres sourcing. In the case of high performance tyres, they are only made in France and in the US on a very specific process. Same quality. As somebody mentionned, sizes are made where the biggest market is. Lets say, corvette sizes equivalent will be sold mainly on US soil whereas, AMG C-class sizes maybe in Europe. Etc... 

For 'normal' tyres, like a lot big companies, it will be manufactured close to their respective markets. We have plants in China for chinese markets, etc... In order to be more reactive and save money on shippings and stocks

• Like 1

My 400 is fitted with  S4S ‘s , the dealer who tracks lotus cars and did mine recons they are the best all round tyres for the Aussie climate and roads, sadly I’m not in a position to compare them with anything.

And as a reference they were made in the US.

Edited by au-yt

The summer tyres I have on my S are MPSS in MO fitment. They seem to be fine, rears are 285 wide.

Hi I’m new to forums so sorry if I’m going over an old topic.

i bought a Lotus Evora s and went on a rally to Milan and the tyres only lasted 2000 miles, I’ve tried to replace them but there are none available, lotus offered to sell me some for £1000 a tyre which I declined.

ive been advised to fit Michelin pilot sport cup 2 has anyone ever fitted these if so are they any good? 

Thanks

Hello, Chris. Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 are a very good tyre. (They are now OEM fitment to the GT430 etc). However, they are a very track-biased tyre (very sticky in warm, dry weather but you won’t get many miles out of them). For more road use, you might be better off with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. These are currently the best summer, road tyres on the market. 

(Also, why not pop over to the Introduction section to say ‘hello’ properly? https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/15-introductions/)

All four tyres lasted 2000miles? 😬

Camskill are quoting 4-6 days delivery for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Consider changing from 275/30/20 rears to 285/30/20. Lots of “series 1” owners have done this. It is the std rear tyre size for Evora400 etc.

edit: others have fitted the Cup2’s but as Bravo states - they are a more extreme tyre. Folks seem to reckon you need to get the car adjusted to a more extreme camber setting to get the most out of them. 

Edited by mik

Thanks so much for the advice,  love the car handles so well I only use the car for the gumball and other rally’s so I don’t do many miles.

is it normal for the tyre to wear on the inside ? I think the car may have been used on the track as when changing the exhaust lots of gravel fell out of the undertray.

any advice on the car would be much appreciate.

thanks