free hit
counters
Observations from 2 weeks in an Elise (coming from a Evora) - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nathan Pitman

Observations from 2 weeks in an Elise (coming from a Evora)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You’re right about many things.

The Elise and Evora are just very different propositions.

I miss the noise of the 400, I don’t miss the  fuel bills :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

15 minutes ago, Neal H said:

Conclusion - The Evora is a better car, the Elise is a better toy :) 

Spot on.

Deffo agree with Neal about the exhaust on the facelift/MY17.5 it sounds like it’s running on carbs, lovely sound for a four pot.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

The change was really driven by finances. I needed to release some cash from the car to pay final bills on a property extension.

Ironically I’ve just had a bonus at work and a pay rise which will put me in a position where I could easily afford the car again. 🤦‍♂️

I love the Elise (a lot!), but I do miss the paddle shift in the Evora and the sound of the V6. I guess an Exige next then? 😂

Edited by Nathan Pitman

13 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

The change was really driven by finances. I needed to release some cash from the car to pay final bills on a property extension.

Ironically I’ve just had a bonus at work and a pay rise which will put me in a position where I could easily afford the car again. 🤦‍♂️

I love the Elise (a lot!), but I do miss the paddle shift in the Evora and the sound of the V6. I guess an Exige next then? 😂

Aah ok....needs must.....I can recommend an exige,go for the full lotus experience👌

It's a tough call. I'm not convinced I'd swap my 250 Cup for an Exige 350, but an Exige 430 Cup would be an entirely different matter!

5 hours ago, JG220 said:

I much prefer my Cup250 to my Exige V6S. 

Interesting to hear that.....what are the pros/cons of the 250 over the exige?

Smaller, lighter, faster, better handling, cheaper to run, better proportions.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Smaller, lighter, faster, better handling, cheaper to run, better proportions.

Yes but what about the pros😊

• Haha 1

Nathan, thanks for the thread and for your and your responder's observations. Mostly they reflect my thoughts. However what no one has mentioned re the Elise is the "respect", or lack of, from drivers of other (non-mundane) cars.

I don't mean, in the main, outright aggression or boy-racer "baiting", but the casual assumptions of some other drivers -  typically in BMWs, Audis or large (and moderately quick) anythings. Driving quick Elises in typical road traffic I used to find, though keeping  fully up with or ahead of the typical traffic speed, that such cars would expect to be allowed past. Perhaps they assumed that an Elise would be at maximum to match their cruising.  They would close up when I was just maintaining my place, overtaking as appropriate; that usually demonstrated acceleration better than those following could manage, but still they would "push", sometimes degenerating into hassling.

It was always tempting "to show them" but of course I didn't succumb............. well there was just one occasion, on a clear dual carriage way when ..........  I'll just say he gave up completely at quite a high speed. And I gave myself a severe talking to. 

No such issues in an Exige (V6) or an Evora, all driven in the same area and only a few years apart in time. It seems their greater "physical presence" conveys their performance in a way that the Elise does not.

Why then am I contributing to an Elise discussion thread?  A good question - premature to answer it now, but perhaps in the future. I'd be glad to hear of the experiences of others on the "respect" aspect. Might my Elise driving somehow invite hassle?  Perhaps not "knowing my place"?!

Edited by mdavies
Correction

I can't say i noticed any difference between my Exige V6, VX220 and Cup250. 

My M140i however attracts all sorts of unwanted attention. And I bought it as i thought it was really subtle. 

I've never really noticed any of the behaviour you mention but maybe everyone in Derbyshire is super polite?  :lol: More likely is that I don't frequent the sort of roads that would encourage that sort of driving.

But, if I didn't know better I would look at the cars in this way.........

Ordinary Elise - looks a bit of a pretty toy :wub: , might be a bit nippy but not seriously so.

S2 Exige and Elise Cup - hmmm, might be quite quick that :driving:

S3 Exige - god almighty that looks fast as fook  :w00t:

Evora - I'm completely confused!

Maybe that explains what you've experienced?

• Like 2