free hit
counters
Wheel arch colour (again?) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
EXCEL V8

Wheel arch colour (again?)

Hi guys - long-time stalker, very occasional poster. 

I'm sure this must have been covered before, but a search seems to bring up very little.  I'm at the point with the restoration of my '74 Elite where I need to make a decision about the colour of the wheel arches.  All the paint is off down to the gel coat (the whole body).  The wheel arches had a liberal spread of old-fashioned underseal on them, but what would have been the original factory finish?  There was body-coloured paint in places under the underseal, but would that have had, say, satin black paint over it, like the sills/bumpers?  My plan is for 2 coats of epoxy primer followed by Gravitex stone chip, but should I then paint it body-coloured (Cirrus White), or satin black?

Thanks very much

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I believe the factory used underseal to protect the body against cracks caused by flying stones so the wheel arch colour would have been Matt black.