free hit
counters
Upgrade or 380? - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lo2zz

Upgrade or 380?

Okay so a bit of this has been covered in the thread on GF Williams car, but would be interested in this specific conundrum! 

So I've had the V6 Exige for about 6 months - I love it, and had planned on adding the following 

- 2bular exhaust - done

- 2bular manifolds 

- EX370 package 

- Forged wheels 

- Quaife 

- Nitrons 

However I keep looking at 380 sports - which are a £20k premium to my car at the moment, but would have most of the above on already (minus nitrons/quaife) so in my own man maths I'm thinking I'm going to add nye on £10k to mine to get it where I want - so for only another £10k I'm getting a 380 with all the carbon loveliness.

So to upgrade mine or go for a 380? What would you do?

I don't need a 380 and am perfectly happy with the V6 - but am seriously tempted to get the 380.

Positives of sticking - no upfront £20k to find, can add options as and when, can always sell options when I sell it, still paying a £10k premium for the 380 - is it worth it?

Negatives of sticking and upgrading - still not a 380, spoiler and carbon envy, gear linkage inferior.

Any thoughts welcome!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’m biased but if the extra money isn’t an issue I’d say go get yourself a 380 - I did and haven’t regretted it for one minute. Photos purely for “extra-carbon” consideration purposes only😉

F4100C51-F0AB-462C-B1B1-16677BC7DE08.jpeg

B1E513E1-CFA9-432D-9CEF-3D83FF870C64.jpeg

Just to add for consideration, are you going to track the car? Exhaust on the 380 too noisy for many track days and you'll hate getting rid of it as it sounds so glorious.

@Stratton Motor Company currently have a blue 380 in which looks stunning. No doubt Alex there would be happy to talk to you about your V6

• Like 1

I have a 350 sport...would be interested to know if any real performance difference between the two

Having driven a 380 which lead to me buying the 350, I'd say yes it's worth the "£10k" - but not the £20k.

The noise is fantastic, as I don't track my 350, I'd love to get similar noise and sound out of mine one day, so if you get a 380 and fancy swapping the entire system so you can track it, let me know hahahahah

The extra carbon goodies are nice, but you can get aftermarket ones that will be cheaper.

If i had the cash to buy my car outright I'd have waited for a 380, as they are now currently £10-12k more than a 350 which is a bargain! However what I paid was above my limit and I had to make compromises to get it, let alone another £10k ontop! 

I'm not sure where you are based, but I'd HIGHLY recommend calling Jamie at B&C and arranging a back to back drive.

Compare your V6S with a 380 - drive your V6 there, then take a 380 for an hour or so, then go back out in your exige S to try and highlight the things you noticed more.

Having gone V6S to Sport 350 and now Sport 380 I wrote my initial thoughts on comparing the last 2 in link below .  Personally I would want track pack as Nitrons are so good. 

I kept the V6S and 350 for 3 months each vs 13 months now for the 380, which is a record for me, so probably time to consider a change.  Struggling to find a car that looks and sounds as good for r the same money though 

• Like 2

I think the 380 would return more money when you sell than anything you spend on mods.

Having said that, I wouldn’t buy a 380, even though they have lots of carbon (that seems to be the main appeal for most).  For the money you put in to a 380, your end up with a faster and better car for the same money doing it aftermarket.   You won’t have the silly noisy exhaust or the annoying rev limit which comes with the 380.  You also get engine covers and a supercharger which is black...  sunvisors too if you have an s...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

I’m biased but if the extra money isn’t an issue I’d say go get yourself a 380 - I did and haven’t regretted it for one minute. Photos purely for “extra-carbon” consideration purposes only😉

B1E513E1-CFA9-432D-9CEF-3D83FF870C64.jpeg

Pah..Could have closed your boot, Stephen :)

I know - you’re not supposed to point it out though Arun😄

Scott Walker to blame - he drove it out and took the photo once the car had been completed, as he said he was so impressed with the colour - clearly has good taste😎

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

I think the 380 would return more money when you sell than anything you spend on mods.

Having said that, I wouldn’t buy a 380, even though they have lots of carbon (that seems to be the main appeal for most).  For the money you put in to a 380, your end up with a faster and better car for the same money doing it aftermarket.   You won’t have the silly noisy exhaust or the annoying rev limit which comes with the 380.  You also get engine covers and a supercharger which is black...  sunvisors too if you have an s...

Silly noise?! That's fighting talk

2 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

Silly noise?! That's fighting talk

Silly in the sense that it's too noisy for UK trackdays. I love the noise, but that is a fundamental problem.

2 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Silly in the sense that it's too noisy for UK trackdays. I love the noise, but that is a fundamental problem.

I agree with that, useless on track, but, so was yours until you modified your exhaust post 460 mods.

To the original post, there are definitely pros and cons to this. Expect those with 380s to be pro 380, expect those with modified 350s to be pro 350.

There is a good video showing the 350 vs 380 vs 430 (I believe those are the cars) that is a good comparison which shows that spending the money doesn't quite give massive gains in performance. 

I went with my heart. Don't buy a 380, keep mine nice and rare, thanks!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

In my opinion its the trackdays that are the issue not the cars, have a similar issue with my local gun club. Residents bought land nearby and built a house, now filed noise complaints and won! Stupid council.

The club was there 12 years before the house was even built.

6 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

I agree with that, useless on track, but, so was yours until you modified your exhaust post 460 mods.

To the original post, there are definitely pros and cons to this. Expect those with 380s to be pro 380, expect those with modified 350s to be pro 350.

There is a good video showing the 350 vs 380 vs 430 (I believe those are the cars) that is a good comparison which shows that spending the money doesn't quite give massive gains in performance. 

I went with my heart. Don't buy a 380, keep mine nice and rare, thanks!

@Dan.G Is there a link to that video you can share please? Thanks 

13 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

@Dan.G Is there a link to that video you can share please? Thanks 

a few videos and pictures.

Edited by Bravo73
Direct link added
  • Like 1

my 2p worth....

I have a 380, full track pack, all the carbon blah blah..... However in February it will get the KT460 complete with full 2bular engine protection kit, it just needs that extra bit of grunt.

Looks nicer than the 430 imho, but not as nice as the 380 Cup, strange that init?? :)

cheers

• Like 1

Mark, if you could go back in time, would you have bought the 350 and then modified?

1 hour ago, Dan.G said:

Mark, if you could go back in time, would you have bought the 350 and then modified?

No, I would have bought the 430, price difference at the time would have been "minimal" but now would cost me in excess of £50k to change, just not worth it for the difference imho :)

I bought a new V6S and chopped it in after 2.5 years for the 380 after being told in good faith that the 4xx engine would never be fitted by Lotus to the Exige ...  (fool me once.... blah blah)

cheers

skill matters 

(more videos and feedback to come soon)

32 minutes ago, geartox said:

skill matters 

Exactly, rather than chasing bhp numbers, carbon trinkets or multiway adjustable this and that the best investment is driver training.  It's a transferable skill that could save your life and I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't gone faster after tuition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

it just needs that extra bit of grunt.

Just out of curiosity, what does it need it for? :dizzy:

2 minutes ago, KennyN said:

Exactly, rather than chasing bhp numbers, carbon trinkets or multiway adjustable this and that the best investment is driver training.

Can't agree more :driving:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Just out of curiosity, what does it need it for? :dizzy:

Can't agree more :driving:

Why build a 430.... why not just buy MX5s....

at the end of the day, personal preference I think.

9 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Why build a 430.... why not just buy MX5s....

at the end of the day, personal preference I think.

Agreed, so little between them, very much down to personal preference. Although, we shall leave the mx5 out of it.

14 minutes ago, KennyN said:

Exactly, rather than chasing bhp numbers, carbon trinkets or multiway adjustable this and that the best investment is driver training.  It's a transferable skill that could save your life and I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't gone faster after tuition.

Didn't you just buy a load of carbon?

4 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

Didn't you just buy a load of carbon?

Nope, the 350 is still factory spec.