free hit
counters
Vinyl roof - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'm planning to fit a vinyl roof on my Elite but have not seen how they are "finished" at the rear.  Can anyone help with a photo or description of how the vinyl is finished at the back?

Thanks very much

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Post a picture once you have done it. Mi e left the factory without one but left the dealer with one. The roof had peeled off by the time I came across it!

Elite should be a lot more simple than Eclat. No fork extensions to the back. Just a square piece of vinyl.

some pics here:

Neil

Thanks guys.  The vinyl is "trapped" by the anodised trim at the front and the sides (if I ever find some for the front!!) but it surely can't just have been a "rough" edge at the back?  Was it just turned under on itself or was some sort of trim used - Hidem banding, for instance.  The photos in the links aren't close-up enough to see unfortunately.  I'm considering maybe making an aluminium trim to finish it off just in front of the rise in the roof-line and getting it anodised (black or natural) as well.  What do you think?

Pete

1. On my 76 503 elite the vinyl at the rear was fixed by a thin half inch strip of metal running the full width of the roof,best way I can describe it is to turn your piece of vinyl upside down and lay it over the rear window leaving just enough on the roof so the metal strip can then sit on top,on my car rivets then clamped it down, these are hidden on the inside of the car by the rear seat roof trim, pull the vinyl back over from rear window covering the metal strip and glue to roof finishing at the front under the anodised trim.hope this is a help

Thanks very much Phil.  I understand exactly from your description what you mean.  Was yours a factory fit do you think?  It sounds like a very discrete way to secure the vinyl though.  My alternative was to get the local furniture place to turn the end over and stitch it - two rows ~ 1cm apart to "finish" the rear edge.  It sounds like you didn't replace yours?

Cheers

Pete

hi pete,yes mine was factory fitted,but after 40 odd years it had seen better days,i removed mine sanded down the roof and sprayed it matt black in the end,looks good but in my opinion the vinyl looks much better ,well worth doing mate

post-17852-0-81457600-1441653050 (1).jpg

Your car looks great Phil!  Mine is white as well (actually just gel-coat at the moment!).  Really grateful for your help with the roof - now I know what it should be like.

Cheers

Pete

As my roof needs to be repainted due to the paint lifting, I have for some time been considering fitting a vinyl roof, so appreciate the input here. I did ask Oliver Winterbottom about the fitment of vinyl roofs and he commented that they were sometimes fitted at the factory if the paint finish was not considered acceptable, and that there was a double stitched seam along the back edge - he didn't mention a metal strip.

If it turns out my car will need the alloy trim above the windscreen removed for the repaint anyway, then I may well go for the vinyl roof. I should know within a week or so.

Richard

More pictures required Pete!

I concur with the above. I also recall a shiny metal trim that crossed the rear on the factory vinyl elites.

Strangely, the vinyl roof seemed less popular in later cars - most of the ones I have seen with a vinyl top were 74/75/76.

best wishes

Dunc

Bit more info about the restoration so far:  The car is stripped to it's last nut and bolt!  I'm currently fixing the bodywork - I think mine is either typical of very early shells or it's a Friday afternoon one!  There are dozens of voids behind the gelcoat, all over the car.  A lot were fixed by the factory before painting, but in the boot area I've had to put a complete layer of matting over to cover them.  The body was also splitting along most of the mid-line - a little bit was damage, but most of it was just letting go after 44 years! 

RIMG0155.thumb.JPG.92cdca83fe6c6b28831ebaadac955c1c.JPG

RIMG0157.thumb.JPG.35bc95a0451cd4857c14f436f0fd3b9b.JPG

RIMG0177.thumb.JPG.6ad9ad4243bf453ec857209a039f1f23.JPG

RIMG0219.thumb.JPG.a0115ccac4b9907ba8a50cf03628bf48.JPG

I plan to keep the car looking like it came out of the factory (albeit with a vinyl roof) , but with a few reversible changes (2.5l engine, Getrag 'box, beefed-up diff etc.).  I'm also modifying the aircon to get rid of the vacuum-controlled "Dole valve" - water valve:  It's a stupidly complicated way to control it, so I'm devising a lost-motion lever to do the same.  I'll retain the vacuum control for the vent flaps though.  Now I'm almost at the painting stage, having removed ALL the paint to get rid of the micro-blisters, I'm starting to enjoy it again 😀.  There is a thread going on the Excel.net forum as well!  (Used to own a 490 hp Excel track car!).

Pete

• Love 1

I thought the first photo was a picture of a chrome strip down the waist line not daylight! Gosh that is in a bad way. Had a previous owner sanded off the join?

22 hours ago, lil503 said:

hi pete,yes mine was factory fitted,but after 40 odd years it had seen better days,i removed mine sanded down the roof and sprayed it matt black in the end,looks good but in my opinion the vinyl looks much better ,well worth doing mate

post-17852-0-81457600-1441653050 (1).jpg

Can you stand on a step ladder for a photo please!

The sanding on the waist-line is in preparation for re-bonding of the joint.  All done now.  I can see why the factory changed the way it dealt with this area of the car.  It's taken weeks to get the contours of the waistline "bump" correct again.  There was lots of factory-applied filler in this area when I got all the paint off!  Hope to start painting this weekend!

Pete

On 26/11/2018 at 09:57, Dunc said:

More pictures required Pete!

I concur with the above. I also recall a shiny metal trim that crossed the rear on the factory vinyl elites

I don't know if mine is factory fitted, but the vinyl roof is finished with an ally strip along the rear edge. It's lifted at one end but I've not investigated how it's attached.

Next time I can face going out to the shed and looking under the dust sheet I'll try and get a piccy.

the parts list shows various vinyl colours and some fitting strips with rivets. :) 

image.png.9c7e10e71ee64615769f3c3df3fe7212.png

Great find - does anyone know where all those front clamp plates go? There are 2 short and 3 long!

ATB Richard

Yes - great find Tim!  The plates must fit between the trim clips, but there are 5 clips leaving 4 spaces!?  The other really interesting bit is the foam - I assumed that the vinyl (vynil!!) was glued directly to the roof, but was it glued over a layer of 3mm foam, and was the foam also glued to the roof?

Phil - any photos of your roof would be great - thank you.

Pete

12 hours ago, rjwooll said:

Great find - does anyone know where all those front clamp plates go? There are 2 short and 3 long!

ATB Richard

I may be able to shed more light on this soon.

Pete

• Like 1