free hit
counters
Commuting in a +2 - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
laikathedog

Commuting in a +2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I salute you sir, driving the +2 as a daily! Which for starters means it's up to the job, that in itself deserves a lot of respect. And great to hear you're happy with it. 🙂

To be fair, I would have to be hard pressed before using mine like that. Despite being used to an Esprit as a daily. What is your daily anyway, the DB7? As much as I love the classic feel when driving the Elan, it's just a bit much for my taste. She also feels very vulnerable in the busy traffic I have to face each day. I must admit she does need some attention, mainly the gearbox and some electrical niggles. Just like yours, the brake pedal isn't consistent. But unlike you, I haven't taken the time to investigate let alone repair.

You should add a picture of the Elan with some moderns. 🙂

Filip

When I had mine in the early 80's it was my only car.  Luckily, I could get to and from work on the bus for such times as when I broke a drive shaft spline and had to change the chassis ( in the car park for our block of masonettes which impressed the neighbours).  Had the ignition cut out intermittently which turned out to be the anti-theft switch which I didn't know it had.  A new part from Paul Matty's in Cradley Heath (!) fixed that.  Rear brakes were noisy rubbing the discs all the time.  Truing up the spiders with a hammer and a lathe when I changed the doughnuts fixed that and made it a nice, refined car.

It is incredibly ignorant for people to park like that. If you can't park properly, maybe you should be taking the bus.

I'd have gently broken one of the $500 indicator lenses and maybe accidentally hit the bodywork with the hammer or wheel brace or whatever one decides to use.

You should post a copy of that in Bibs thread 'How's my Parking?'

• Like 1

Great stuff. Cars like to be used.

We should not forget that back in the 70s we used our Elans as daily drivers all the time. And they were up to it.

My daily driver is an XK. No problems. But those on Jag forums who use them only in the summer for drive outs always seem to have issues, mostly electrical.

Tim

A few more days commuting, now by choice.

I lost power to my nearside headlamp and offside side lamp yesterday evening! no banging or fiddling lucas joints got them to come alive again so i am going to investigate in the carpark now and my brake light switch is now "assisted" by a piece of wood to stop it popping out the back of the pedal box. I have realised that my fog/spot lights are opposite sides, I had fitted fog nearside but the lense throws the light to the right (I am RHD), into the faces of oncoming drivers..although they all drive faux-by-faux so not really their faces... their numberplate reflects it back at me..so I am going to swap lenses.

Speedo is accurate to 60mph and thereafter it gets very vague...recently discovered that 70 on the dial is 94 on GPS....

Elan goes back into storage and some electrical work to the high beam circuit over the weekend, Also have to work on the front suspension, the new top balljoints lasted 500 miles... don't make things like they used to...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, laikathedog said:

Speedo is accurate to 60mph and thereafter it gets very vague...recently discovered that 70 on the dial is 94 on GPS....

Love it. :rofl: