free hit
counters
LOTUS ELAN CHASSIS - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
petnatcar

LOTUS ELAN CHASSIS

Hi Guys,

This owner was kind enough to remove the body so I could get some shots of the frame.

He just had to start the engine using a can of gas and a rubber hose hmmmmmmm......

should have given that thought a couple more seconds.  The garage burned down too.

Maybe these will make good reference photos for someone.

Not sure of the model year.

0030_0109506790.jpg

0032_0109506796.jpg

0033_0109506799.jpg

• Sad 3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers for posting Peter,   very sad to see a car end up this way,  I think maybe this cars days are numbered, apart from the engine and maybe a few suspension bits and diff etc  :cry:

Such a sad sight... One I'm all to familiar with... 😞

We've stripped most of the cars that burned down when our Workshop caught fire. I was very surprised to find what parts are still usable. The alloy fuel tanks of the Esprit being the most remarkable! Engines seem to clean up quite well to, but it has to be something special to warrant the work. Most bolts come out easily enough, some threads in aluminium parts did strip. We plan to reuse diffs and gearboxes from the Range Rovers as well. The oil inside seems to protect the gears from damage. The one we tried already has covered over 15k miles since without issue. Some alloy parts do seem very fragile though, like the casing of a hydraulic winch gearbox (filled with grease, not oil), that was totally cracked and beyond repair.

I wouldn't be very comfortable using suspension arms etc, especially lightweight alloy items off a Lotus. And considering the forces acting on those parts.

Greetz,

Filip

• Like 1

I am looking to take a chance on an engine and gearbox to rebuild. Shame it is somewhere lhd...

Looks to be a +2 judging by the steering wheel and length of drive shafts.

A fair bit looks salvageable but that’s only going on the photos, which as we know can deceive!

Tim

14 minutes ago, trw999 said:

Looks to be a +2 judging by the steering wheel and length of drive shafts.

A fair bit looks salvageable but that’s only going on the photos, which as we know can deceive!

Tim

Deffo  +2, you can see the steering rack extenders.....