free hit
counters
Scissor lift and low profile jack - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
k20Rob

Scissor lift and low profile jack

Hi Im getting the front of mine wrapped a little tomorrow. The guy is planning on putting it on a scissor lift to help. Is this safe for our cars? Mine has the carbon barge boards on the side as well. Worried about damage and may just insist he uses my low level ramps to get the front up a bit.

Also, what low level jacks do people have for their cars? Just this standard sort of style? They reach far enough under?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tj2-5lp-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 hours ago, k20Rob said:

Hi Im getting the front of mine wrapped a little tomorrow. The guy is planning on putting it on a scissor lift to help. Is this safe for our cars? Mine has the carbon barge boards on the side as well. Worried about damage and may just insist he uses my low level ramps to get the front up a bit.

Also, what low level jacks do people have for their cars? Just this standard sort of style? They reach far enough under?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tj2-5lp-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack

Thanks

Can't comment on the scissor lift but I bought exactly that jack to work on the car, struggles to get to the front jack point but gets to the rear ones and will lift the entire side of the car up. I also ordered a couple of the rubber blocks from amazon to sit on the jack. 

Screenshot 2018-11-23 at 20.57.12.png

I also have that jack but it’s heavy!!! For track use when I’m changing adjustment I bought a Sealey low entry long reach racing jack which is excellent and arguably made my SGS a redundant spare in the garage.

Would a scissor lift reach to the rear jack points or are you just lifting the front? Ramps sound like a better idea for whenever you don't need to get the wheels off or to start with to get the jack under. I use the low level ones from seriouslylotus - they are light and fit in the boot

12 minutes ago, PhilT said:

Would a scissor lift reach to the rear jack points or are you just lifting the front? Ramps sound like a better idea for whenever you don't need to get the wheels off or to start with to get the jack under. I use the low level ones from seriouslylotus - they are light and fit in the boot

The wrapping guy said he would like to lift the whole car to make it easier to do, but Im just going to insist he uses my ramps (same as you have) and get on the floor. Not worth the risk I think!

• Like 1

We did it without putting it on the scissor, I managed to scare him off the idea with the potential damage!

What an amazing result, the wrap matches exactly the matt black paint used from the factory. This is mid way through the job, try and spot what part is the wrap and what part is still the factory paint to be wrapped:

98BD1F66-A674-445E-A4F2-E4DFF35CCC78.thumb.jpeg.711362f53a9a50a6ddb4c36ebfc42fd1.jpeg

On 24/11/2018 at 21:51, k20Rob said:

We did it without putting it on the scissor, I managed to scare him off the idea with the potential damage!

What an amazing result, the wrap matches exactly the matt black paint used from the factory. This is mid way through the job, try and spot what part is the wrap and what part is still the factory paint to be wrapped:

98BD1F66-A674-445E-A4F2-E4DFF35CCC78.thumb.jpeg.711362f53a9a50a6ddb4c36ebfc42fd1.jpeg

Factory also uses wrap.. at least on the 380 Cup

Oh, it looked like the matte paint. On deroure they only have a mask listed, but decals for the headlights, so assumed it was the matte paint.

I thought it was matte paint also on the lower clam portions, but looking at my partial build photos from factory, it must be a vinyl in this area.

I would be suprised if it is wrap as it is all one piece. The wrapper said wrapping in one piece isnt possible. We did three, one for each vertical and then one long piece along the bottom. From the factory mine also has the matte ‘paint’ on the underside of the top of the two side vents, so it would be a huge challenge to wrap like that.

On 23/11/2018 at 23:24, alias23 said:

I also have that jack but it’s heavy!!! For track use when I’m changing adjustment I bought a Sealey low entry long reach racing jack which is excellent and arguably made my SGS a redundant spare in the garage.

@alias23 What was the model number of trolley Jack was this mate? I'm looking for a low profile, long reach, low weight unit.

cheers

31 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

@alias23 What was the model number of trolley Jack was this mate? I'm looking for a low profile, long reach, low weight unit.

cheers

I need to check the model but it was one of these... https://www.sealey.co.uk/category/5637151853/racing-jacks

Excellent product, lighter than many others, and the long reach option is enough to get to the right lifting position even with extended side sills ;)

After being charged rather mad amount for the break pads change by one of the main dealers, I just bought this - https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637173236/trolley-jack-2tonne-low-entry-rocket-lift-red. It's bloody heavy and feels very solid (to the extent it's difficult to lift it), should be fine for garage use. Still have to try it on the car though. :stuart:

8 hours ago, vd9 said:

After being charged rather mad amount for the break pads change by one of the main dealers, I just bought this - https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637173236/trolley-jack-2tonne-low-entry-rocket-lift-red. It's bloody heavy and feels very solid (to the extent it's difficult to lift it), should be fine for garage use. Still have to try it on the car though. :stuart:

That’s why I went for one of their lightweight ones as carrying one of the heavy ones in the back of the fibreglass clam boot felt a bit risky when taking to track

thanjs guys..

5 hours ago, alias23 said:

That’s why I went for one of their lightweight ones as carrying one of the heavy ones in the back of the fibreglass clam boot felt a bit risky when taking to track

100% agree, I'd definitely not try to get that in the boot of an Exige. 🙀

36 minutes ago, vd9 said:

100% agree, I'd definitely not try to get that in the boot of an Exige. 🙀

Its the reason I now have two jacks lol one SGS and one Sealey... lol