free hit
counters
Different tyres on front and rear - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Richviney

Different tyres on front and rear

Hi all,

I will soon be replacing the front tyres on my Evora SR and putting Michelin PS4S on

My Pirelli Corsas on the rear are probably still ok for a few thousand miles so was wondering if it would be an issue running this combination for a while

it will only be for road use and not too much driving in the winter 

Thanks

Rich

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Four of the same is best, but a pair of the same across each axle is permissible.

You want to avoid mixing sizes / compounds / tread-patterns across an axle.

With that combination, the car will tend towards oversteer. (More grip on front, less at the back). 

However, you’ll only experience that when approaching the ‘limit’ so for 95% of road driving, you’ll be fine. Track driving might be bit more exciting. 

Yep, had Pilot Super Sports on the front of mine when I bought it and old Pirelli's on the rear. Worked ok, but just mucked up the balance as it had WAY less rear grip. Much more prone to oversteer on corner exit. Only left it that way for a couple of months. 

Thanks all

Sounds like it might not be a problem if I am sensible and don’t leave it too long

i will probably change the rears as soon as they are getting anywhere near needing changing but think they have a bit too much life left in them to change at the same time. 

I have read the other posts around tyre choice and seems MPS4S is the way to go in the long term. The tramlining has been pretty bad the last few months so think the fronts really need changing to see if this helps 

25 minutes ago, Richviney said:

Thanks all

Sounds like it might not be a problem if I am sensible and don’t leave it too long

i will probably change the rears as soon as they are getting anywhere near needing changing but think they have a bit too much life left in them to change at the same time. 

I have read the other posts around tyre choice and seems MPS4S is the way to go in the long term. The tramlining has been pretty bad the last few months so think the fronts really need changing to see if this helps 

My own limited experience I would say that the Evora feels pretty sensitive to tyres especially on the limit. I've had the different sets over the last 6 months on road and track. Contis, P Zero Corsas and now Cup 2s. Personally I wouldn't mix tyres anyway least of all on the Evora.

Sticking newer, higher performing tyres on the front at a time of year when the roads are cold and wet sounds like a recipe to swap ends to me. Your going to have to buy them anyway so how much are your saving eeking the last bit of rubber from your old rears?