free hit
counters
Opinions on foam between chassis and body? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
tkathulevej

Opinions on foam between chassis and body?

Hi,

What are peoples opinion on the (possibly heavily water soaking) foam, that were placed between the chassis and the body though the center tunnel from original. It's apparently placed from the factory, and I guess it must be responsible for many non-galvanised chassis' early deaths.

What was it meant for? ...Sound dampening? (..don't think that will work much), vibrations? ...other?

Is it needed at all during rebuild? If yes, - what should be used (- I take it that some non permeable material is probably not easily enough compressed over the large area covered. Permeable will soak water over time of course 😕)

Br /tka, DK

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not as bad as the Europa which used felt, which was like a permanently wet sponge.

A closed-pore foam should be OK. Leaving the gap open doesnt sound like a good idea, with airflow being blown through it at speed, and water.

My S1 had 1" thick foam. I presume it's there to stop the body rubbing on the chassis. I replaced mine with some similar foam and I don't have a galvanized chassis - but I don't take it out in the wet!

I agree with Andy, that water blown into the tunnel area is undesirable however there would seem to be little other reason for foam. Non permeable, closed cell foam is the only sort to use anywhere that water might be expected as the soggy stuff fitted atop the fuel tanks illustrates. I'm going to consider adhering some pieces of judiciously cut/shaped closed cell between body and chassis as a barrier in the forward entry point of the tunnel area, plus some lengths deployed front-back at a downward inclination with intent to impair ingress of water and debris while not creating a trap which retains the contaminants atop the chassis. Sound deadening is accomplished through use of materials made for the purpose and they are always notably more dense than insulating type foams.

Cheers

Hi,

Thx for the inputs 🙂   I like the idea of somehow get rid of the foam, and only make arrangement so the area is ventilated, but not open for direct spray of water, dirt etc. ..  

/tka