free hit
counters
Left rear wheel arch heatshield - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
canamfan

Left rear wheel arch heatshield

Hi all,

Just as I was enjoying the Esprit Turbo this passed summer, I noticed the immense heat coming from the left rear wheel well. On my previous '89 & newer ones the factory installed a shield, just wondering if anyone has installed this "exact" piece (see pic) on a G body N/A &/or Turbo, not looking for custom (got that now, & am not too keen on keeping it, looks, well...home made) would like this factory piece. Just wanting that little extra piece of mind for tires' sake :)

Heatshield.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There definitely should be heatshields in the LH wheel well, from memory 2 pieces fixed to the body and one fixed to the top of the spring platform.

None of them look like the picture on the G cars, they are molded from heatproof material. 

If none of these are present this would seem to be a big risk as the exhaust is very close to the body there.

I agree, I do have the factory "top spring mount" heatshield, but somehow I too feel that the tire needs some buffer from the hot pipes. Of course many things can be custom fabricated, but I like OE looking type mods 

Been in there recently to renew my suspension. As Andy says, it’s 2 heat shields. One small moulded piece that wraps 180 degrees around the top of the shock mount and covers down to the rubber or poly spring grommet , held by 2 screws. Then there’s the outer shield made of the same heat resistant material. That one is much larger piece, flat and sort of semi circular shaped at the top. Held on by 4-5 screws, it covers about a third of the wheelarch downwards and has a clean, straight cutoff at the bottom, no fold-in flap as shown in your picture. Your shield seems to be made of metal or aluminium and that would accumulate heat and act like a boilerplate...