free hit
counters
Daft question - cannot get accurate oil reading - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dan.G

Daft question - cannot get accurate oil reading

This is doing my crust in as it is car ownership 101, but I cannot get an accurate reading from the oil.

As per the manual, the engine is cold.

I can see what is probably happening, because of the low tail gate and location of the dipstick, I am having to pull the dipstick out at an angle, which is probably scraping out more oil giving a false reading.

Have I missed something basic here? A technique? Or perseverance?

20181127_173218.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've not heard of people have issues, and I certainly haven't across 3 different V6 Exiges. Of course, the other scenario is your oil level is critically low.

There is definitely oil in there, you may not be able to see it but it does look like it's getting dragged above the max level

1 hour ago, Dan.G said:

There is definitely oil in there, you may not be able to see it but it does look like it's getting dragged above the max level

If that is the mark above the max then you are ok, but it looks very pale in colour.

Clean the dipstick with either brake cleaner or a suitable solvent.

You will then be able to see the level.. As the oil will stick to the clean portion of the dipstick

Certain oils are darker in colour than others(comma 5w-50w turns almost brown in use)-some almost have a white look to them.

Edited by lotus muncher

Yorkshire's only Main dealer Lotus technician.

The holes are also a telltale as to level. If the oil has not reached the hole in the dipstick, it will not have a film in it.

From what I can see, the oil is above the second hole so I would say you are fine.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

It’s not unknown for them to be overfilled at service.

A certain well known dealer in Surrey overfilled mine by over half a litre once.

If your’s is above the max level, as it looks like from that pic, ideally you’d want to suck some out.