free hit
counters
Brake cooling ducts - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
FF

Brake cooling ducts

Hi guys,

I was thinking to install in the car brake cooling ducts to help the front brakes during hard times. 

Anyone installed them? There is a kit available somewhere?  

Thanks in advance 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If I will find a kit I will inform you but seems that no one developed a kit until now.

18 hours ago, FF said:

seems that no one developed a kit until now.

Not sure it is any really needed in an Exige - it's got a rather favourable combination of weight, brakes size, tyres size. Did you experience any issues with the brakes?

2 hours ago, vd9 said:

Not sure it is any really needed in an Exige - it's got a rather favourable combination of weight, brakes size, tyres size. Did you experience any issues with the brakes?

The power of the brake is not an issue because they are sized correctly. But after some hard laps (3/4) they start to vibrate due to the heat. I am always doing 2 cooling down laps and seems to be fine but is really annoying that after few hard laps they start to vibrate. I will upgrade in the near future the brakes with the system offered by Dave of Seriously Lotus. That look fantastic and for sure they will improve the driving experience. To help to keep everything cool as much as possible I was thinking to install the brake ducts. In my opinion is a good solution to improve the life of the brakes. I am looking for a kit but seems to be there isn't available at the moment. 

@FF I actually have the same experience as you, with PF08 pads. Both sets I've had get a bit grumbly after they get hot on track, all fine after a cool down. This is not disc specific, either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arun_D said:

@FF I actually have the same experience as you, with PF08 pads. Both sets I've had get a bit grumbly after they get hot on track, all fine after a cool down. This is not disc specific, either.

Thanks Arun_D for your feedback.

Yes you are right part of the issue are the brake pads. I think with the brake upgrade kit and the brake ducts I will solve the issue. Especially here in Qatar where the temperatures of the evening track days during the season range from 20 C to 30/32 C 

Brakes having a "vibration/juddering" doesn't sound like a heat issue but rather a brake bedding issue --- uneven pad material transfer, sometimes referred to as "pad smear" will rear it's ugly head as the brakes get HOT.

From the experts:   

"The all-important transfer layer:

........ the objective of the bed-in process is to deposit an even layer of brake pad material, or transfer layer , on the rubbing surface of the rotor disc. Note the emphasis on the word even, as uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.

Let's say that again, just so there is no misunderstanding. Uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.

It only takes a small amount of thickness variation, or TV, in the transfer layer (we're only talking a few ten thousandths of an inch here) to initiate brake vibration. While the impact of an uneven transfer layer is almost imperceptible at first, as the pad starts riding the high and low spots, more and more TV will be naturally generated until the vibration is much more evident. With prolonged exposure, the high spots can become hot spots and can actually change the metallurgy of the rotor in those areas, creating “hard” spots in the rotor face that are virtually impossible to remove.

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:42, Arun_D said:

I had this issue with stock discs and PF08, no issues since I swapped to the new bigger discs.

As Jack mentions, bedding in properly is key to smooth braking on track.

• Like 1