free hit
counters
Squeaky front brakes and non biting parking brakes - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hspeck

Squeaky front brakes and non biting parking brakes

As I understood it, the electronic caliper would mount on a separate bracket to allow a 4-piston Hi-Spec caliper to be used (also on a separate bracket, and without the spot caliper parking brake attachment). That's all the detail I have. Bearing in mind that Pete's been involved in this (and other Esprit brake upgrades) for a long time, it might be worth messaging him to see whether he's made any progress, or simply shelved the idea.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete from PNM?

I have messaged PNM 2 weeks back and am still waiting for their reply ...

You're not being singled out for any special treatment, I have the same problem and end up phoning instead.

Margate Exotics.

I spoke to Pete this morning regarding rear parking brake options.

he has a few options:

one is the Brembo route which is heavy and quite expensive for what it is.

the second is the electronic handbrake which currently only has the brackets designed for the 320mm disc option and is very expensive coming in at around the £650 mark.

the third is a new mechanical caliper which has been fitted to a 320mm rear disc but not anything else yet(I currently have 300mm on the rear). He is looking into disc options for me at the moment before we start to work out if it fit or how to mount it. These calipers and associated fitting kit could be around the £200-£250 mark but this does not include the discs. 

Ill post on here if we get anywhere.

Wait, what? Pete’s finally made the electronic handbrake brackets? 

So, if I use a 320mm disc, the original Brembo rears spaced off with brackets, and an electronic caliper, the cost would be about a grand, the 4-piston version would be around £1,500. Which would mean I’d no longer have to pivot my forehead on the windscreen to put the parking brake on. Deep joy! I’d bite the bullet and go for the latter, then it’s done, no more spending on brakes, ever, ever, ever. Plus it opens up the option of using different pads in the Hi-Spec calipers.

I just need to let the wife know, sadly financial restraint is not one of her qualities.

Margate Exotics.

Ok lads, for the truly non-linear thinkers amongst you may I propose that if we are willing to go so far as to add calipers for the sole function of parking then why settle for an unwanted second lever or the original lever, for that matter. Nothing to stop the creative addition of a parking-only hydraulic link with the related M/C conveniently placed and operated via a linear actuator controlled via a switch in the cockpit. We have options.

Cheers

8 hours ago, drdoom said:

Ok lads, for the truly non-linear thinkers amongst you may I propose that if we are willing to go so far as to add calipers for the sole function of parking then why settle for an unwanted second lever or the original lever, for that matter. Nothing to stop the creative addition of a parking-only hydraulic link with the related M/C conveniently placed and operated via a linear actuator controlled via a switch in the cockpit. We have options.

Cheers

Unless things have changed since I last looked, UK regs for MOT require a mechanical parking brake. Unless of course an hydraulic/mechanical system can be, ahem, fitted somewhere convenient*.

*Strictly for off-road use...

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

18 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

You're not being singled out for any special treatment, I have the same problem and end up phoning instead.

I would have called him, but I reckon I may save some money for the overseas call instead to buy a new caliper instead ... :p 

8 hours ago, drdoom said:

Cheers

I was told by my friends who have hydraulic brakes in their cars not to use them as parking brake as the hydraulic brake looses pressure and may not hold if parked for longer period.. they use them only for handbrake turns during gymkhanas ...

5 hours ago, hspeck said:

I would have called him, but I reckon I may save some money for the overseas call instead to buy a new caliper instead ... :p 

A wise choice!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Yes, there seems to be good cause for a fully mechanical parking brake. So to that end I will attempt to build in a parking dedicated mechanical caliper that is servo driven by linear actuator, either one for each side direct acting or a single LA driving the cables from a mounting selected to dispense with the handbrake lever. Just can't resist tinkering. 

21 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Yes, there seems to be good cause for a fully mechanical parking brake. So to that end I will attempt to build in a parking dedicated mechanical caliper that is servo driven by linear actuator, either one for each side direct acting or a single LA driving the cables from a mounting selected to dispense with the handbrake lever. Just can't resist tinkering. 

Have you had a think about the costs and complexity of doing it, Steve? The EPB Hi Spec calipers are not cheap at £640 + VAT (just checked), and presumably need a suitable pair of brackets. Not saying you shouldn’t have a go at it, indeed, it’s an interesting project and something I could well get tucked into given enough garage time, but do you think you’re in danger of reinventing the wheel, if you get my drift? The EPB calipers look suitable for an S2, I think there’s a couple of mounting bolt holes 50mm apart, and a selection of disc thicknesses to choose from for the drop down menu.

Please keep us posted if you do decide to have a go, though!

Margate Exotics.

Thanks, Ian, will be mindful of your good advice. The EPB units look interesting, though costly as you state.

As a former owner of a classic Elan I can attest to having used the pyramidic parking brick approach depicted in Barry's posting on page 1:). That car had effective braking with a rock-hard pedal and forms the baseline of my ambitions for the S2 Esprit I now have. Also very much like to heel-toe for gearchanges and every Esprit I have driven had pedal height issues that confounded my efforts to do so. So going ahead with ambitions to up the size of rotors and change out hydraulics hoping to permit deletion of the servo and so the pedal travel which comes with that. So the project in all is of broad scope, with some inconclusive progress in fitting 310mm rotors out aft when that was last looked at. Between business concerns, home concerns and the unanticipated scope of restoration required in sorting out a once tatty Esprit my energies have been as thinly stretched as could be tolerated over the past few years. Much has been accomplished on the car and the path ahead at least appears to be more clear for getting it built.

Cheers

• Like 1

Well, when I added up the amount of money I’d spent on prototypes and parts for my brake conversion, I was somewhat shocked when I discovered how much I’d spent on the project, hence mentioning those EPB calipers. Sometimes, I think it’s better to bite the bullet and go for the off-the-shelf solution where someone else has done all the legwork, otherwise it could well cost a lot more. That said, I find this kind of project addictive, and am a hopeless case when it comes to tinkering around with Esprits!

Question - Are you using the standard S2 Speedlines, Steve? If so what’s the maximum diameter discs you can use with them?

Margate Exotics.

Well, it would be just ducky to be able to run the lovely Speedlines but there are practically no suitable tire choices in 14 inch, and about as grim for 15 inch as well. Of course the 14" diameter would also rule out increased rotor sizes so I expect to make an upgrade in the wheel/tire package, likely 15" front and 16" rear. That settled I'm looking at 310mm rotors at least up front with 300 or better out aft. Also certain to be using an adjustable proportioning/limiting valve for the rear circuit and will have a go at a twin M/C on balance bar, expecting to be able to package the lot fairly tidily absent a servo. I do like the joy of wringing out a car at its limits and want the braking to be massively competent with a very firm pedal. As to the question of striking out in quest of solutions independent of what's to be had in the marketplace I am watching with interest what has been developed for the ABS equipped Esprit over on the pertinent thread. SJ and PNM also have offered kit worth a look, I'd say.

X2 on the mea culpa regarding project addiction, clearly I seek relief from boredom in taking these things on. The trick is not to lose sight of practical aspects altogether, is it not?  

I have managed to solve this issue by fabricating a solid hub to replace the original hub with holes from PNM. My brakes has since stopped squealing like pigs to slaughter. It has been 2 weeks and am using my original Mintex pads. All is good. Thanks for the advise everyone.

I've been running some aluminium bell 2 piece 322mm discs front and rear on 4 piston calipers with various pads for over a year now, and no brake noise or squealing.

Earlier on I've complained of the lack of bite with this setup, and I was told that it needed some 500 Km's to bed in (like normally). After the first 500, it became a little better, and after 1600 km, it became a little bit better still. But only now, after two driving seasons (cannot see km's right now), it began to brake quite well. I will still try out other pads later on (if they will ever send me some parts...  sigh...).

Parking brake spot pads are a joke. Unfortunately, I also run that joke... 💤

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)