free hit
counters
Evora Crash on M40 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

Evora Crash on M40

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The OP on the PH thread seems a sound fella. Some dumb comments posted though.

Hate reading stories like this and im glad the driver is OK, its more likely simple aquaplaning as 400 series cruise control is quite gentle on resume.

It’s not resume that causes the problem, if a wheel loses grip through aqua planing and when grip suddenly comes back it can cause big instability as the throttle will still be open. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bibs said:

I remember once heading up the M25 in my Esprit and a french family were broken down in lane 3 and everyone was sitting in a huge traffic jam to pass them by. I blocked lanes 1 & 2 with my car and helped them push to the hard should (other people did get out to help).

Not sure I would have been brave enough to do the same!

Hope M40 driver is ok.  Brings back unpleasant memories of being in a 2017 convoy behind a 400 which aquaplaned off the road (and written off).

23 hours ago, blueg33 said:

It’s not resume that causes the problem, if a wheel loses grip through aqua planing and when grip suddenly comes back it can cause big instability as the throttle will still be open. 

This, it can actually work the other way as well when a rear wheel spins up under loss of traction suddenly causing the CC to reduce throttle. Modern ESC systems help but often cannot catch things on their own

Always best to avoid CC in very wet conditions

I thought the cruise control in the wet issue was a myth that was debunked a long time ago.  Could be wrong.

My Elise was horrific for aquaplaning in the wet. I guess no weight over reasonablywide summer tyres will do that though. Evora seems much better in the wet so far.

Glad the owner was ok and good on the Op on Piston Heads for stopping to check. 

Edited by DBG

11 hours ago, DBG said:

I thought the cruise control in the wet issue was a myth that was debunked a long time ago.  Could be wrong.

My Elise was horrific for aquaplaning in the wet. I guess no weight over reasonablywide summer tyres will do that though. Evora seems much better in the wet so far.

Glad the owner was ok and good on the Op on Piston Heads for stopping to check. 

I think traction control helps reduce the CC issue, but the main issue  maybe that people brake to cancel the cruise and braking when aquaplaning is a bad plan.  We have 3 cars with cruise control, olderst is 4 years, newest is 6 months.  In each the handbook says don't use cruise when there is risk of standing water

Interesting. My Evora manual doesn't seem to say anything about not using cruise in water. 

Wonder if I have mis remembered mine?

I always find the cruise control on Lotus to be very sensitive and any loss of traction at all results in the CC disconnecting .

Trevor.

• Like 1

Reminds me how much I hate Pistonheads threads, reading that.. mostly obnoxious posts..

12 hours ago, Trevsked said:

I always find the cruise control on Lotus to be worse than useless and anything so much as a gnat sneezing in the next county results in the CC disconnecting .

Trevor.

FTFY Trevor.

Can you tell that I've now given up completely on ever getting it to work for longer than about 5 seconds in the Evora? :rolleyes:

Nor me, completely trouble free. Although that maybe because I've never used it! 🤐

3 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

FTFY Trevor.

Can you tell that I've now given up completely on ever getting it to work for longer than about 5 seconds in the Evora? :rolleyes:

🙂  Have you tried replacing the clutch switch? That's the usual culprit and any bump moves the pedal and that acts on the swich and it disconnects the CC. Thats been the case on my previous cars and also if thye car goes over a yump on the motorway it will diconnect. 98% of the time it's great.

Trevor.

Glad to hear the driver's ok.

On the subject of cruise control issues, mine used to be tricky to engage/disengage. After suffering it for about a year, I had the switch contacts on the steering wheel cleaned. It's been perfect ever since :)

Glad the driver is Okay, that's the main thing, and only they will know what really happened - not too much point in speculating in my opinion.

I do know though, from experience that when you aquaplane, even in a straight line you WILL start to drift off course, there can be quite a few variables really, the fronts could aquaplane and the rears not or even vice-versa factors such as tread depth, different tyres, steering input etc etc...

20 hours ago, Brendonian said:

Glad to hear the driver's ok.

On the subject of cruise control issues, mine used to be tricky to engage/disengage. After suffering it for about a year, I had the switch contacts on the steering wheel cleaned. It's been perfect ever since :)

Mine too. Always seems to take two presses of the button to turn it off, but usually turns on with a single press. Will have to try some contact cleaner on the switch.

I occasionally use the CC on motorways or roads with silly low speed limits to help me keep under, but it always feels "jerky" in adjusting the speed. Never as smooth as a human working the throttle. Because of this I only feel happy using it in daylight on dry roads.

We've had some pretty heavy rain over the past few days, with standing water on the roads in places and unfortunately I've had to drive long distances in it. Only once have I felt the Evora do a momentary wiggle like it was beginning to loose grip. What amazes me is the number of idiot drivers out there who carry on regardless, not slowing down and driving six feet of your rear bumper, despite all the spray and pools of water on the road. Maybe modern, electronically assisted cars make you feel invincible? It'll probably take them spinning off the road before they learn just how close to the edge of grip they've been driving.

• Like 1

Must have been on cruise control in the wet. No other possible explanation. 

10 hours ago, Bibs said:

Also on the M40 this morning....

7070444-0-image-a-1_1544061035934.jpg

Saw that reported on ITV news tonight.,  Started with how a half million pounds car had been written off, then 30 secs later in report they stated car was £260k.  Nice rounding up 🙄

13 hours ago, Advantage said:

Must have been on cruise control in the wet. No other possible explanation. 

Here's an example of aquaplaning on a straight with no cruise control.  If you hit standing water you can go from full grip to no grip or grip that varies from wheel to wheel or axle to axle quicker than you can react.  Small differences in grip or drag or a slight steering input can induce a spin.  Cruise control could contribute to the problem but isn't the only possible factor.

• Sad 1