free hit
counters
Evora Crash on M40 - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

Evora Crash on M40

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Aquaplaning speed is proportional to the square root of tyre pressure. Once you hit that speed, the tyre lifts off the road and you have almost zero grip until you get back below that speed ( through air resistance, mainly).

Even if the cruise control was working (I doubt it), it would just cause the car to hit the rev limiter (but with almost no effect on the car's motion).

43 minutes ago, EGTE said:

through air resistance, mainly

When aquaplaning, deploy hand out of window! 

If have experienced this once in the Elise and banged the brakes real hard to get enough weight on the front of the car for the tyres to bite their way through the water. I was in a straight line still but with the steering having lost all weight. I can imagine this isn't the best policy if the car is starting to yaw already. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I always employ the ' squeeze arse cheeks till they squeak' technique, seems to work well but don't know why?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bibs said:

When aquaplaning, deploy hand out of window! 

If have experienced this once in the Elise and banged the brakes real hard to get enough weight on the front of the car for the tyres to bite their way through the water. I was in a straight line still but with the steering having lost all weight. I can imagine this isn't the best policy if the car is starting to yaw already. 

Weight will only move to the front if you are able to brake .  If aquplaning one would assume brakes do nothing for that period of time, as no traction with the road. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

If all 4 wheels are aquaplaning. Since only the steering went light and the car didn't start to spin, I'm guessing the rear tyres were still doing their job with the extra weight in the rear and rear brakes had an effect. . 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

18 hours ago, 21gg said:

I always employ the ' squeeze arse cheeks till they squeak' technique, seems to work well but don't know why?

Ein bisschen luft…..maybe

chipp

If your not heading towards anything solid the best way to cope if you find yourself hitting standing water is to SLOWLY back off the throttle and keep the wheels in the direction of travel with a very light touch on the wheel.

Its kept me on the road a few times.

• Like 2

@Trevsked Switch has been replaced twice, with various 'adjustments' in the intervening periods.

The biggest problem is its inconsistency - you can hit a huge bump in the road that has no effect then go over the tiniest ripple in the surface and it instantly disconnects. More than a little disconcerting if you've got the inevitable Mercedes Sprinter van 6 inches off your back bumper when it does it, :o !

Cruise control or doing 80 in the hammering rain I think I know where I'd place a bet....

Edited by jonnyboy

On 08/12/2018 at 10:09, Bruss said:

If your not heading towards anything solid the best way to cope if you find yourself hitting standing water is to SLOWLY back off the throttle and keep the wheels in the direction of travel with a very light touch on the wheel.

Its kept me on the road a few times.

Well, timely, one might say. Hit standing water this afternoon on the way home with entire family on board the main car.

As traction was lost, I did the above, gently easing off and holding fast. Definitely worked - massive thanks Paul. Would probably have been OK but good to have a strategy!!

• Like 2

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

As a rule of thumb, the lightness of touch should approximate to about 10% of the pressure felt by your arse clenching :yes:

• Haha 1

As @EGTE said it’s proportional. CC or manual.. doesn’t really matter apart from slow the F down when it’s wet!! I tend to be on the motorway either early or very late, the amount of people that don’t vary their speed to the conditions (including lorry drivers and taxis 🙄) never seases to frustrate me.

Inexperience or complacency/stupidity. 

I once had a big moment in an S2000 on the M3, my tyres were just legal and I was going too fast for the v wet conditions.. 🤔slow down to 50-60 problem gone 🤓

I agree @auRouge. I was driving down Sunday from Scotland to Cheshire on the M74 near Moffat. Rain was hammering down and lots of standing water.

I was doing 70mph, outside lane in my little commuter Clio over taking a lorry when a a complete [email protected] in a big Merc 4x4 came hammering up behind me at ridiculous speed and nearly parked in my boot! Said [email protected] proceeded to stay so close to my rear all I could see out the mirror was the top of his bonnet!

Once past the lorry I pulled in and the [email protected] went past like the devil was on his heels. Half expected to see him further down the motorway upside down in a field.  The speed he was going was obscene and the weather conditions really were atrocious. Complete knob jockey and just reaffirmed my view of people who drive that type of car.

The number of BMW 5, Audi 4,5 and 6 drivers that past me at well over 80mph was astounding as the amount of standing water, and water running across the motorway, was biblical.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

By definition anyone who aquaplanes is going too fast for the conditions!

The problem is standing water, or streams running across the road are usually unexpected and localised.

Obviously the only answer is to not drive in the wet. (Unless of course, you are a Lotus driving god)

• Like 2

Several years ago a friend of mine wrote off his Lexus LS400 after hitting standing water and aquaplaning on a trip down the M40. He always drove it too fast anyway but I asked him what he'd learned from that experience and his answer was to renew his tyres when they are half worn! :ermm:

I suggested maybe the right answer was to drive at a speed that suits the conditions, but he just couldn't accept that. 18 months later he was killed in a car smash and although I don't know the reason, I strongly suspect inappropriate speed for the conditions played a big part.

5 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Said [email protected] proceeded to stay so close to my rear all I could see out the mirror was the top of his bonnet!

This is the bane of my life.  Using my Evora as a daily drive, the number of people who are intrigued to see how many miles I've got on the Odometer is truly astonishing... after all, that has to be the only reason for driving that close, right?

<-wanders off mumbling/ grumbling

• Haha 1